HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Well, mine is all back together. You can read the previous posts about up to now but today I got in the bearings for the main grips and see saw, Align 205 carbon blades and a Align tail pitch lever.

The main grip blades were a 5 minute thing and the blades were even less. The see saw bearings were a but difficult and took a couple extra minutes because as said before the screws are just a tad bit big to go into the bearings (where they were very loose in the original bushings causing slop), well a tap and the were in and no apparant damage to the threads. I used red locktite on these since you do not tighten them down they are adjusted to the point of no play and left to set up. The Aliign blades needed one turn on the linkages to reset to zero compared to the original GT blades.

The interesting thing was the tail pitch lever which has slop on the slider ball. I got the Align lever ($4.99) and it is interesting for a couple reasons, first the plastic is a much better fiber filled plastic so that tells yo uthe better quality of the original product. There is a reinforcement in the arm and also the lever is a bit longer. The ball is a nice one piece instead of the GT screw through the ball. Anyway it is very interesting to see the quality differences side by side on the small part. Having a longer lever meant that I had to reprogram the gyro travel limits.

Here are some pics; It will have its remaiden tomorrow.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
Frequent Flyer
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
647 Posts
very nice Evan, pics with out the canopy please?
tornadorc is offline Find More Posts by tornadorc
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:27 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
As far as the value thing I have been on both side of this. People come up with the arguement that with a clone they don't have to have the Align electronics. This is a good arguement if you already have good quality items to put in the helo. You can save some money there or like I did by buying a decent substitute from HK though I had great servos already (JR 385 digitals). I think the T250 is the one helo that Align has way overkill on the supplied servos and gyro, both big and heavy. Anyway the small cheaper gyro and tail servo I picked should do as well as the Align for a significantly cheaper price.

Now that said I think the 450Pro package is about a perfect compliment to each other, a really good match. And the cyclic servos in the 500ESP were a perfect compliment to the kit.

Bottom line is I think I got a pretty good set up at a significant savings by going with the GT. I hope it flys....
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say that after getting the new Align tail pitch lever on, guess what, you're going to say HA, I still have the same slop right???? Well not exactly, surprisingly it now has more slop than before!!!!

Pics w/o canopy coming up...
Last edited by Evan D; Oct 15, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
I Can Fly An FP Inverted!
Teddington, Middlesex, UK
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Oh, I forgot to say that after getting the new Align tail pitch lever on, guess what, you're going to say HA, I still have the same slop right???? Well not exactly, surprisingly it now has more slop than before!!!!

Pics w/o canopy coming up...
here you are going on about overkill, and you have deans ultra connectors

good to see you are a fellow logictech user *highfive*

no high five for the rest of you
Hal_The_Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Hal_The_Hacker
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:11 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_The_Hacker
really? my HK450 tracks perfect every time, i rarely need to adjust the tracking when I change blades.

try a set of the trueblood red dampeners, those should cure that slop of yours - worked for me when the stock dampeners wore out
I'll try that! I suspected that might be the problem, you can grab the blade grips and easily move the grips up and down with the stock dampners.

Glad to hear the blade grip bearings are not loc-tited in. They were on the SEv2 and it was not fun!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:44 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Sorry to jump in a bit late but,...

... but I just do not understand people who think that if they can afford expensive stuff everyone else should follow...

As someone pointed - there is pretty good reason for having cheap clone as well as having top end of the market. Not everyone is keen in buying expensive stuff upfront and argument that HK250GT is same price as Align's T250 is just wrong. HK is cheap version and as such belongs to such place. You do not need to put expensive digital servos and expensive gyro to fly 250 size heli indoors and mostly upright. And what's would be the point buying two (or three?!) times more expensive heli (kit) when this one can do the same? (I am not saying that cheap HK250 can do the same as high end T250 but other way round ).

And - again, by no means that makes sense when you're saying that both helis would cost you the same in general. Maybe in, some, narrow way of using it (aggressive 3D flying, maybe) - but that's not the only usage for small helis...

I have bought two HK450 and I have spent maybe 3 or 4 times less (or even less than that!) than if I would have bought TRex 450 - because I didn't need it for power setup. I wouldn't have bought yet another 450 size heli (I do have more expensive one too) for just the sake of it or to practice slow piros in my garden or to have spare heli when my main one is down for repairs if it was full price (200 - 300 for all up) - but for less than 100 it flies perfectly. And, yes, I do not expect it being precise and powerful and quick as one where I put 90 worth of feathering servos and 150 for gyro/tail servo, but for fraction of that money (30 servo/gyro combination + 15 of feathering servos) it flies just fine for me...

And - think about all the people who can afford first $200-300 to get into the hobby, but $500 at once, upfront is way too much (although they'll spend it anyway over the time slowly upgrading, etc)...

Bah.

*Rant over*
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:31 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terma-nator
It's gonna cost the same to repair either helicopter, so your point is lost on me.
You can use cheap parts or align parts to repair either one, there doesn't seem be be a cost difference. That's my point - BOTH HELICOPTERS COST THE SAME.
But they don't cost the same - you don't have to buy expensive components - I have a Trex 250 - I bought the combo with servos, esc and motor, it cost me 170 (about $270 plus another $100 for gyro and $50 for tail servo) - I hardly ever used it as I was afraid to crash (spares costs are high). When the clones came out I bought one (and then another ) - costs

Clone kit (inc shipping) $80
3 x HXT900 $12
Turnigy motor $12
ESC $12
gyro $20 (G401B)
tail servo $20
total cost $156 - just over a third of what the T250 cost, plus I can repair it with clone parts - I would repair the T250 with Align parts as I don't want to "down-grade" it.

Is the clone 250 as "good" as the T250 - probably not
Is it good enough for me - Hell yeah
Is it fantastic value for money - HELL YEAH

Bear in mind not all of us are trying to achieve the best heli that we can get everytime - to me "good enough" is great !!!! In the end it's horses for courses - we all want different things.

Enjoy your 250 - whichever it is,
Mike.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:33 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467
I kinda understand terma-nators point. Because when you crash the hk250 you will more than likely replace the broken parts with align parts so the cost of crashing both the hk250 and the align t250 will be the same. Most people that own the clones always go with the align parts for there upgrades. So to me it just makes sence to go with the align in the first place.
I see where you are coming from Buster - but check out the spares prices for the clones - rotor head $4.60 (HK) as opposed to $14 (Align), main grips $6.72 (HK) as opposed to $19.99 (Align). My clones get repaired with clone parts
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:44 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
The interesting thing was the tail pitch lever which has slop on the slider ball. I got the Align lever ($4.99) and it is interesting for a couple reasons, first the plastic is a much better fiber filled plastic so that tells yo uthe better quality of the original product. There is a reinforcement in the arm and also the lever is a bit longer. The ball is a nice one piece instead of the GT screw through the ball. Anyway it is very interesting to see the quality differences side by side on the small part. Having a longer lever meant that I had to reprogram the gyro travel limits.
Evan,

That makes sense - Align are on a V2 of the tail pitch lever - the clones probably cloned the V1 lever - it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

Nice Pics !

Mike
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC

Turnigy motor $12
ESC $12
tail servo $20
Please, write us which Turnigy motor and above parts you bought. You right, important in clone is to keep small value for electronics.
lkemot is offline Find More Posts by lkemot
Last edited by lkemot; Oct 16, 2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:25 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkemot
Please, write us which Turnigy motor and above parts you bought. You right, important in clone is to keep small value for electronics.
This is the motor (though I got mine form DealExtreme (DX))
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...trunner_3800kv

Gyro
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...o-G401B/Detail you can also get from DX but their site is down now, or from ebay - XMseller offer him $24 - he will accept

Tail servo
http://www.helidirect.com/s185-super...lis-p-5412.hdx

ESC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:54 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Mike, what pinion are you using? What is your trottke curve with it and have you measured your head speed?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Another thing I forgot to post last night is that when I reassembled my head I found both main blade bolts bent. I replaced mine with known quality allen bolts a bit longer and added a nut under the grip to lock it a bit better for some insurance at the head speeds I anticipate on the GT with the higher kV Turnigy motor.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:31 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Mike, what pinion are you using? What is your trottke curve with it and have you measured your head speed?
I'm using a 14T with 0, 90, 90, 90, 100 - you could probably use a 13T with a slightly higher TC