HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
Hal,

The "stickness" that you describe on T250s and clones is generally that one or more of the links is too tight on the ball - if you size them then the heli will hover much better.

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:15 PM
I Can Fly An FP Inverted!
Teddington, Middlesex, UK
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Hal,

The "stickness" that you describe on T250s and clones is generally that one or more of the links is too tight on the ball - if you size them then the heli will hover much better.

Cheers,
Mike.
thanks, but the problem was traced back to the washout base, which i replaced, it was too sloppy and so there was slop in the collective which made it unresponsive
Hal_The_Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Hal_The_Hacker
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Frequent Flyer
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_The_Hacker
thanks, but the problem was traced back to the washout base, which i replaced, it was too sloppy and so there was slop in the collective which made it unresponsive
Heya Hal,

Where did you buy the washout base, and the blade grip bearings from?
tornadorc is offline Find More Posts by tornadorc
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Surprisingly my balls (no jokes) were sized right on....
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:32 PM
Frequent Flyer
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
647 Posts
since we are on the subject of ball sizing, should i buy a ball sizing tool or a knife edge reamer? and where do i buy one?

Thank you
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:52 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Surprisingly my balls (no jokes) were sized right on....
yeah my balls are nice and smooth too, no excessive stiffness or rubbing damned innuendo
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadorc
Heya Hal,

Where did you buy the washout base, and the blade grip bearings from?
got them from my HK250PL kit, but I get my align parts from: http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
Frequent Flyer
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
647 Posts
thank you Hal.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Nice review, I am under the impression still that with metal grips and metal main rotor hub and Align feathering shaft, that the plastic version is lighter less slop and is a good bang for the buck?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack
Nice review, I am under the impression still that with metal grips and metal main rotor hub and Align feathering shaft, that the plastic version is lighter less slop and is a good bang for the buck?
yeah thats the head, but the frame sucks, and the tail looks awful for any headspeed
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:38 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Hmmm...what head parts would you replace with Align parts if you wanted it to be more precise? Besides the washout, woudl you replace other parts?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 250 size heli, but would like a full metal one if possible as I believe it would survive crashes better. The HK250GT is appealing...
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
Hmmm...what head parts would you replace with Align parts if you wanted it to be more precise? Besides the washout, woudl you replace other parts?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 250 size heli, but would like a full metal one if possible as I believe it would survive crashes better. The HK250GT is appealing...
actually durability in crashes is about the same between plastic and metal heads, plastic snaps when metal bends, but for my kind of flying, plastic would snap in flight .

if you DO go for the GT, then you need to replace two of the blade grip bearings, the flybar seesaw bushings (with bearings) and possibly the washout base
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
Frequent Flyer
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
647 Posts
if your planning to crash...., crash with a cheap one. if not, go with the real deal. The cost of replacing parts on a clone to make it like the real deal, would cost almost the same as getting the real deal. hmmm
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:46 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadorc
if your planning to crash...., crash with a cheap one. if not, go with the real deal. The cost of replacing parts on a clone to make it like the real deal, would cost almost the same as getting the real deal. hmmm
not really, i paid $90 for my heli in effect, and i got bunch of spare parts for it, a genuine align would cost around $300, and fly and crash just the same
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Quote:
actually durability in crashes is about the same between plastic and metal heads, plastic snaps when metal bends, but for my kind of flying, plastic would snap in flight .

if you DO go for the GT, then you need to replace two of the blade grip bearings, the flybar seesaw bushings (with bearings) and possibly the washout base
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

Was it a b**ch to get the bearings out of the blade grips? I know I have ruined a pair of Align 450 blade grips trying to get bearings out in the past... I think I've now perfected the heat method and a properly angled punch, but this small grip might drive me nutz!

I have found that in the vast majority of crashes on my full metal 450 helis, the metal survives nicely, ultimately saving $ imo.

Not sure what works better on this size heli as metal parts certainly have more weight and thus momentum to bend!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood