SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:52 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
357 Posts
Indeed my problem was simpler. But until I realized that the WARNING text was clickable, I was still stuck. Your post clued me in the fact that I could click in and reset the limit. Thanks.
CatBird is online now Find More Posts by CatBird
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Jun 2008
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
As the poster of the referenced post, the problem I had was more complex than just going to the warning menu and turning off the offending condition. I had the warning set for two of the flight modes. Before turning the transmitter off, I eliminated all flight modes. The trap was that after the turn-on warning sounded and I got to the warning menu, all the flight mode buttons were greyed out. One solution was to create an impossible condition such as AND the two flight modes.

Allan
Thanks, Allan.

I see the trap, now. Your solution is simple and logical. I don't know if I could have pieced that together with all of the backround noise!

scw
scwest is offline Find More Posts by scwest
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
518 Posts
I posted this same question on the main board, I'm hopping one of you in this thread can help.

Has anybody did any programming with the camber slide in the 11X? I went into the Slider program and tried to modify the setting and nothing worked. I am using the 3 position flight mode switch in the same configuration as the J/R 9303 Heli radio. What I need help with is programming the MID position of that switch. I would like to have it operate the left slider for camber only. I need the other switch position Forward and Back to be INH. Don't want this to effect the other programmed modes. There must be a setup for this I am over looking.

I asked Horizon tech but no response. Thanks
imacswd is offline Find More Posts by imacswd
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
I decided to take the plunge and install the update on my DSX11 - there's been another minor update since I first saw it, dated May 1st: 2012:

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...&db_flg=eng_dl

I haven't got that far yet though. I'm trying to back up my model memories to the SD card first - laboriously, one by one, and using the 1970s video game high score name entry system to provide the file names.

I saved the first four model memories okay. On memory 5 (E-Flite UMX Extra 300), it just flashes "Data copying..." until the screen backlight goes off. If I move the scroll wheel to turn it back on, that message goes away, but there's no indication that it saved it.

The fact that they didn't provide a way to just back up all model memories to a folder in one go is ridiculous. It makes me angry to think how much I spent on this transmitter, mostly on the grounds that I could save models to an SD card, when it's actually a TOTAL PAIN IN THE ARSE to do that.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:59 AM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,110 Posts
When Allen “AWorrest” see’s your post you should get a response.
He is well versed with the programming when it comes to JR, especially when it relates to the Glider programming. He’s a great Asset here on RC Groups.
I hope he takes the plunge and buys an XG11 so I can have someone more knowledgeable in programming than myself when I run into issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacswd View Post
I posted this same question on the main board, I'm hopping one of you in this thread can help.

Has anybody did any programming with the camber slide in the 11X? I went into the Slider program and tried to modify the setting and nothing worked. I am using the 3 position flight mode switch in the same configuration as the J/R 9303 Heli radio. What I need help with is programming the MID position of that switch. I would like to have it operate the left slider for camber only. I need the other switch position Forward and Back to be INH. Don't want this to effect the other programmed modes. There must be a setup for this I am over looking.

I asked Horizon tech but no response. Thanks
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRs Flagship Radio!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
I see if I don't move the scroll wheel it is showing a confirmation that it worked (it was hard to read with no backlight, without turning another lamp on). It's now taking two or three minutes to save each model memory though. I seem to remember each one is something like a 4k file. How the hell does it take that long?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:25 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwest View Post
A more concise manual would be of great help here!
I've just been looking to see if there's a newer version of the X11 or DSX11 manual on JRs site but there are no manuals for them at all! The closest they have is the XG11 manual. Are we supposed to be using that now?

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...?he7=p&he8=txt

I looked on Macgregor's website, but they haven't even kept the link to the software update for the DSX11 up to date, so there doesn't seem much point trying to download a newer manual from there:

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/jrpropo/dsx11.htm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2009
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I see if I don't move the scroll wheel it is showing a confirmation that it worked (it was hard to read with no backlight, without turning another lamp on). It's now taking two or three minutes to save each model memory though. I seem to remember each one is something like a 4k file. How the hell does it take that long?
My 11X DSMX U.S. version also takes minutes to save a single model to the SD card and it's a big PITA indeed.

I've tried many things, different cards, different partition sizes and many filesystem params when formatting with mkfs.vfat on Linux. Nothing made a difference
salvix is online now Find More Posts by salvix
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:04 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Thanks, salvix. It's good to know that's considered normal for a JR radio.

I was thinking of backing it up to a second SD card, in case it was having trouble writing to this one but not giving any indication (other than being unforgivably slow) but I don't know if I have the patience.

Whoever wrote this part of the firmware was totally incompetent. I associate Japanese manufacturers with cutting edge technology. This is pathetic.

When I watched the Horizon Hobby video promoting this transmitter, they suggested a 1GB SD card. I don't think I'd live long enough to fill a card that size, at this snail's pace.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:44 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Okay. I did the update. How do I copy the model I saved from model memory 1 back into model memory 1? Is that even possible?

It won't let me overwrite a memory by copying (I hate that).

I can delete memory 1, but it immediately creates another one, and asks me to name it and fill in the details.

Is there any way around this stupidity? I thought maybe it just has to have at least one model in memory, so I tried restoring model 2 first. It doesn't make any difference. Whenever I tell it to erase model 1, it makes another one. I hope it's only model memory 1 that this affects.

As far as I can see, there's no way to fill that slot by loading from the SD card. If I'd saved all 30 memories, I'd only be able to put 29 of them back.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:53 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
896 Posts
There is something wrong for it taking so much time to write to your SD card. On my 11X2.4 it takes about 30 seconds for the actual copying. About the same amount of time is spent in naming the file. I'm using 2GB Kodak and PNY cards. My understanding is that SD cards come in various speeds. I suspect the slower (cheaper?) cards work better.

The files my transmitter writes are 10KB.

I'm going to assume your transmitter works the same as my 11X2.4. When you erase a model memory, it will work one of two ways. If you are trying to erase the memory you are already in, it will act as a model reset and a establish a new program for that memory. If you erase a different memory from the one you are in then it will complete erase it and leave that slot blank.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:53 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Thanks, Alan. Switching to another model memory first worked. The user interface is just a big bag of gotchas. Was it written by a trainee?

I've checked and the files mine writes are 8K so I remembered that wrong. Even so, how can writing 8K to an SD card take even 30 seconds? The first few took about that long, then it slowed right down. It's taken me a couple of hours to back up the models and install this update. It could have been done in minutes, if they'd sorted a few obvious problems out.

I'm using a Kodak 512MB SD card. I guess it might be a fast one, as it was presumably intended for cameras. I'll look out for a cheaper, slower one.

I found all the models I loaded back had lost the setting for using the throttle stick to start and stop the timer. I had to set it in each one, which took quite a while. It took me a few minutes of cursing to work out how - change the lower right number to 95, then move down to the next line and change it to OFF ON ON.

I hope those scroll wheels were built to last. It seems a long way from 0 to 95, especially the twentieth time you have to do it.

I see nothing I really wanted fixing has been fixed. No big surprise. If I clear the timer with the throttle open, for example, it clears but stops, then starts running again when I close it, then stops when I open it, instead of the intended way round - it's always done that. It takes me quite a while to find the My List too. I've yet to get the hang of clicking around to find the menu I want. It's like they move them around to keep me guessing. There should have been just one button you press to bring up My List.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
896 Posts
I have less than half of a dozen files on my card. If you have many more, that might be a factor.

The roller/scroll bar sturdiness has been a problem with some users. Pushing too hard on the bottom can break it. The advice from Mac Man is to scroll with the bottom end and push on the top end.

I have to agree that JR's timer setup could be improved considerably.

When you upgraded to version 0002 did you lose any switch functions? JR's description of the change is skimpy on that point. We don't have that software upgrade. The 11X2.4 is further removed from the XG11 than your transmitter. We may be waiting a long time for the upgrade.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Last edited by AWorrest; Sep 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Nice radio, but I don't like to placement of the sliders,

I currently have a JR9503, wish it had at least 1 knob dial

Hopefully JR will replace the flagship 12X, making it better but leaving the sliders, and knobs in place

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:01 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Good point, Allan. I'd forgotten about the switches thing. That was the reason I didn't install the update in February - that and I was still actively using the transmitter for indoor fly-ins and didn't feel like risking it. I'll check later and see if I can work out what they meant.

On the original DSX11 software, the stick switch settings (e.g. to use with the throttle switch to start a timer) were very simple and intuitive. The new settings are far more complicated, so they presumably have extra functionality. The default makes no sense at all though. The bottom right number seems to correspond to the old setting, if you leave the other three on inhibit, except I don't remember starting at the wrong end, having to change INH to 0, then roll it up to 95 (to have it turn on if the throttle was above 5%), and I didn't have to change ON to OFF and vice versa, as far as I can remember.

A new manual, for the new software version, would be good. I've found one big baffling change already, and that was just checking my reimported model memories worked properly (they didn't - no throttle stick timing).