this is thread for JR 11 x ZERO . Zero is Module based
Nettraptor is online now Find More Posts by Nettraptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
The DSX11 has often been discussed in this thread, which seems appropriate to me because it's just the non-modular version of the 11x:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...89&query=dsx11
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
User registered
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jan 2004
410 Posts
I agree with the previous comment.
The Tx's have more in common than not, further it is an appropriate thread as it is a matured thread and one is more likely to receive worthwhile answers to a query/question due the the quality of knowledge of most of its readers.

Which is exactly what occurred in my case.
TNboy is offline Find More Posts by TNboy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I see giving a link to the thread search results doesn't work though . Maybe it used to. I should have said "Try the Search this Thread tool for the term DSX11" - there are lots of results.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
807 Posts
Agree
But after the latest firmware update for the X11 ZERO to DMSS there are lots of deferences with DSX11
Nettraptor is online now Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
235 Posts
No i got alittle irritated on my DSX11. In 11x Zero manual, i can see that 4-aileron can be used for balancing dual servo for aileron servo setup`s.. In my DSX11, this balancing menu doesnt show, and neither does my manual mention it.

HUGE bummer for me right now. I dont like programming my servo`s, and i really expected my DSX11 to have this function, when it allready have 4-aileron wing type selection.

Sorry, just had to get it out of my system right now. And i HOPE i`m wrong, so this actually can be done. Anyone?
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Last edited by Ola.; Jun 20, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
235 Posts
It all was solved with a software update Gotta love that function.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Last edited by Ola.; Jun 22, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
336 Posts
I'm hoping someone can help here. I programmed a 0% throttle warning for an electric helicopter on my 11X DSM2 (US) radio. But it seems that dropping the throttle fully and moving the trim to the lowest setting is not sufficient to satisfy the alarm. The radio now can't start up. I tried holding the ENT key to go to the programming mode, but it still just hits the warning.

Does anyone know how to power up and bypass any alarms? Or what buttons or levers might satisfy such a startup warning? I just hosed my flying opportunity today, but I'm hoping I'm not totally screwed.

Thanks!
Bil
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
336 Posts
Crisis averted!

With all of the beeping and such on the screen, I didn't notice that the little "WARNING" text in the upper right was clickable. Someone in another thread sort of alluded to it, so I went back and looked closer. Clicking on that bypassed the warning and got me back to the place where I could set the trigger up one notch.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Bill
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
That really is a crap bit of programming. If there was any proper communication between JR and its customer base, things like that would have been eliminated years ago.

Maybe this will help, Bill. It's on a similar problem with flight mode switch warning settings:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post16812202

- in short, you may be able to get to the WARNING SW SEL menu, even though you can't use the transmitter as a transmitter. Hopefully, there's a way of disabling it from there, such as the slightly obscure method described in that thread - setting AND with another option.

I've only just seen Ola's comment from June. That makes me think the software update may make the DSX11 and 11X even more similar to each other. That would be the obvious route to take - there's no point maintaining two different systems for two almost identical transmitters, just disable the bits that can't work on a non-modular DSM2 only transmitter (i.e. the DSX11).

This thread seems to have died a death. Has the software update proved so successful that no one's had a problem in months? I still haven't "tried" it, as there's actually no way to try it - you can only commit to installing it with no hope of going back.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I see you typed that while I was still typing, Bill. I'm glad you found a solution.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
336 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, Andy2No. It's great that there are people out there who are willing to help.

As for this thread, I guess people who were going to buy and learn how to use the 11X have done so at this point. I'll stay with DSM2/X to keep access to all of Horizon's stuff (first flights on my Blade 130X today - wow) but this was presumably the end of the line for JR and DSM. I guess my next radio some day will be a Spektrum, and the DX18 looks pretty good on paper, but I still like the 11X look and feel better.

Bill
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2008
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
That really is a crap bit of programming. If there was any proper communication between JR and its customer base, things like that would have been eliminated years ago.

Maybe this will help, Bill. It's on a similar problem with flight mode switch warning settings:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post16812202

- in short, you may be able to get to the WARNING SW SEL menu, even though you can't use the transmitter as a transmitter. Hopefully, there's a way of disabling it from there, such as the slightly obscure method described in that thread - setting AND with another option.

I've only just seen Ola's comment from June. That makes me think the software update may make the DSX11 and 11X even more similar to each other. That would be the obvious route to take - there's no point maintaining two different systems for two almost identical transmitters, just disable the bits that can't work on a non-modular DSM2 only transmitter (i.e. the DSX11).

This thread seems to have died a death. Has the software update proved so successful that no one's had a problem in months? I still haven't "tried" it, as there's actually no way to try it - you can only commit to installing it with no hope of going back.
There are ways to program the WARNING function switch selections so that the "WARNING" display and audible alarm will always be enabled when the radio is turned on (e.g. FM0, FM1 and FM2 or SPS0/SPS1 where AREA=HIGH and POS=L100, which is always on).

To cancel the warning, press the roller during the warning to display the WARNING function screen, highlight and select SW SEL and disable the "offending" switch position(s).

While I agree that this can sometimes be a trap, it also allows us to program warnings unique to our setup. A more concise manual would be of great help here!

Regards,

scw
scwest is offline Find More Posts by scwest
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:07 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I like the ergonomics of the DSX11 too, Bill. It's comfortable to hold and it feels well made. It's let down by not having enough thought put into the user interface though, IMO.

They've had years to get it right, and all they really needed to do was ask customers what they didn't like about it. I realised that was never going to be sorted out, soon after buying one. The clumsiness of saving model memories to SD card, for instance, makes that feature just short of useless, and it's one of the main reasons I bought it. Sure, you can do it, but it's such a balls ache to actually save something you've changed, that I just never bother any more. Saving the entire contents of memory is something you'd have to set aside some serious time to do. It should just be one menu selection away.

Agreed, scw. A better manual would have gone a long way. Again, that'll never happen now. I gave up trying to understand it some time ago, and just looked for information on rcgroups instead.

Incidentally, as I use mine exclusively for indoor planes, all of which have ESCs that wont start up at full throttle, I have no use at all for the warnings, and as Bill has noticed, the trap can rob you of a days flying. I'd hate that to happen when I've driven 40 miles or more to an indoor venue, so I'm grateful for the tips I've found here.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwest View Post
There are ways to program the WARNING function switch selections so that the "WARNING" display and audible alarm will always be enabled when the radio is turned on (e.g. FM0, FM1 and FM2 or SPS0/SPS1 where AREA=HIGH and POS=L100, which is always on).

To cancel the warning, press the roller during the warning to display the WARNING function screen, highlight and select SW SEL and disable the "offending" switch position(s).

While I agree that this can sometimes be a trap, it also allows us to program warnings unique to our setup. A more concise manual would be of great help here!

Regards,

scw
As the poster of the referenced post, the problem I had was more complex than just going to the warning menu and turning off the offending condition. I had the warning set for two of the flight modes. Before turning the transmitter off, I eliminated all flight modes. The trap was that after the turn-on warning sounded and I got to the warning menu, all the flight mode buttons were greyed out. One solution was to create an impossible condition such as AND the two flight modes.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest