HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Nov 2004
68 Posts
See my answer above It was the answer i received from a UK reseller. Maybe in the USA the DSMX upgrade will be availabe and in the UK and EU a DMSS upgrade. I would really like a DSMX upgrade to, i have some DSXM receivers......
Tadango is online now Find More Posts by Tadango
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Sorry, I am a little behind on the technology so thank your for clarifying it may be a EU/UK issue.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
Can the DSM2 version of the 11X be upgraded to DSMX?
Yes!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRP11XUPG

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
You could try contacting Horizon Hobby. If it doesn't violate an agreement with Spectrum, they might accommodate you.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:50 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Ok.... here in the Uk we are stuck with DSM2.

Horizon owns Spektrum and in the USA, Horizon are also the JR dealers (for the time being). This means that they can use their own technology (DSMX) to upgrade their JR supplied DSM2 systems.

Anywhere else where Horizon IS NOT the JR distributor, there is a problem. As JR does not have rights to use the DSMX, they cannot provide an upgrade path for the DSM2 systems that they used to sell.

In the UK we have a JR distributor AND a Horizon Hobbies distributor, BUT... Horizon are not allowed to touch JR radios (as they are NOT the distributor in the UK) and the official JR distributor cannot get the upgrade as they are not a Spektrum dealership.

As you may (or may not know) JR have released their own system (now that they are allowed to) and have in their stables... the XG6, XG7, XG8 and the XG11. (the 6 and 11 have just been shown to the public for the 1st time over in Japan).

Hopefully they will release an upgrade path for the DSX11 / 11X and then the 9X/9XII in due course. (Wishful thinking on my part )

Time will tell.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:21 AM
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined May 2009
166 Posts
As I understand it the JR upgrade is not backwards compatible but the Spektrum DSMX is?
JazzMan2001 is offline Find More Posts by JazzMan2001
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,467 Posts
DMSS is not compatible with DSM2.

DSMX is compatible forwards and backwards with DSM2.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Mine also was DSM2 upgraded to DSMX and it works just fine with both DSMX and DSM2 recievers.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined May 2009
166 Posts
Being a UK resident DMSS is my only choice for my DSX11. Seeing as I have several micros running Spektrum 6400's, an MSR and an assortment of RX's I'll be sticking to DSM2. I don't think that's a major issue reading up on the tech as I'm never going to be at a location with more than 4 or 5 TX's in use at one time possibly a max of 8.
JazzMan2001 is offline Find More Posts by JazzMan2001
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56 View Post
Ok.... here in the Uk we are stuck with DSM2.

Horizon owns Spektrum and in the USA, Horizon are also the JR dealers (for the time being). This means that they can use their own technology (DSMX) to upgrade their JR supplied DSM2 systems.

Anywhere else where Horizon IS NOT the JR distributor, there is a problem. As JR does not have rights to use the DSMX, they cannot provide an upgrade path for the DSM2 systems that they used to sell.

In the UK we have a JR distributor AND a Horizon Hobbies distributor, BUT... Horizon are not allowed to touch JR radios (as they are NOT the distributor in the UK) and the official JR distributor cannot get the upgrade as they are not a Spektrum dealership.

As you may (or may not know) JR have released their own system (now that they are allowed to) and have in their stables... the XG6, XG7, XG8 and the XG11. (the 6 and 11 have just been shown to the public for the 1st time over in Japan).

Hopefully they will release an upgrade path for the DSX11 / 11X and then the 9X/9XII in due course. (Wishful thinking on my part )

Time will tell.
Thank you for the thorough answer and information.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
No problem.....
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:12 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,765 Posts
There doesn't seem to be an actual JR DSX11 thread, but I gather there's only a few differences between the DSX11 and the 11X, so I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

I've just bought a DSX11 (UK version, mode 2) and it has firmware version 0001-0002. Is there a newer firmware I should put on it? I can't find anything relevant on the MacGregor site (UK distributor), JRRadios.com doesn't even mention the existence of the DSX11 and www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/ doesn't help much either, as far as I can see.

I gather there's a certain folder structure I need to make on an SD card to use it with the DSX11. I found out about making a folder called JR and one inside that called VERUP to put firmware updates in. What about the saved model memories? Is the folder for those created when I first save one, or do I have to make it myself?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Andy,

Whatever you do ... do not attempt to load a new version of firmware unless it states that it is for your particular NET code (as shown on front panel).

Failure to load the correct version will result in the DSX11 becoming a big shiny paperweight.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton56 View Post
do not attempt to load a new version of firmware unless it states that it is for your particular NET code (as shown on front panel).
Thanks. I'd guessed that I just thought there may be some DSX11 users lurking in this thread.

I'm sure the SD card folders structure would be the same for all similar models (second question).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:35 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,765 Posts
Model memories folder

Okay. Found it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankSchorz View Post
Slight correction since I made a slight mistake (this has nothing to do with the upgrade). The folder structure for the model files is \JR\MODEL instead of \JR\MODELS.

So it should contain the following:

\JR\MODEL - This contains any model files you saved to the SD Card
\JR\VERUP - This contains any firmwar upgrade files you download
Is it okay to keep other things on the SD card, provided they're not in the JR folder? E.g. text files with notes, and PDF manuals would be useful to carry with me (Yes, I realise the transmitter can't display them I have other gadgets that can though, and a couple of cheap pocket USB card readers).