HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2010, 01:49 AM
Festina lente
Schoonhoven, the Netherlands
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Berrie is offline Find More Posts by Berrie
Last edited by Berrie; May 12, 2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: wasn't a very usefull remark, therefore skipped. excuses
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 05:45 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
Dennis,

Good flying! Until the end of course

Gerald
Thanks...

I don’t think the person I hit even felt the plane with its weight of 115 grams!

Dennis
meylink is offline Find More Posts by meylink
Old May 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
3 same wings

I like to show this picture. Never happened before, three the same wings on my desk! They weight: 49.4, 49.5, 49.6 gram each. That is +/- 2gram more than the wing in post 63. The 140grams UD carbon servo cover (only at the top of the wing), 1 layer extra glass at the bottom arround the servoopening and harder balsa inserts causes the extra weight. The carbon looks cool, but is surely overkill. The ultimate cheap light weight wing will only have a extra layer 54grams glass at top and bottom. An reinforeced servo area of 50x50mm is enough.

Old May 17, 2010, 02:11 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2008
47 Posts
Nice job
Which foam is that and did you use some more layers on the ailerons ?
Marcus1987 is offline Find More Posts by Marcus1987
Old May 17, 2010, 02:35 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
1) The foam used for these wings is Floormate 200. I never made wings with Floormate, but so far so good.
2) The aileron has no extra layer. The wing has one layer of balanced 54grams glas, at 45. The location at the trowingpeg has two extra layers, thats all. (and off course the extra layers at the root of the wing mentioned in the previous post.)
Old May 18, 2010, 05:19 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
Looks great Berrie. What reinforcement (if any) are you using for the live hinge of the aileron on the bottom side of the wing?

George
MGeo is offline Find More Posts by MGeo
Old May 18, 2010, 07:07 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
I don't use reinforcement on the hinge, its a taped hinge. Just a simple tape, I chose a tape that doesn't tear easely.

I consider a small piece of kevlar at the hinge, close to the rudderhorn. About 3/4 inch wide should be good. The kevlar prevents the hinge from tearing, and lifting the tape from the surface. (Dennis his plane shows that shortage, only near the rudderhorn.)
Old May 21, 2010, 09:34 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
I improve my launch a little bit 39 meters.
muto is offline Find More Posts by muto
Old May 24, 2010, 09:04 AM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Next one
Old May 27, 2010, 11:35 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Perfect plane. I am going to boost one for S8E/P. Here its a praktice landing. Finally target was my camera

DLG Apus II Zone.wmv (2 min 24 sec)
Old May 28, 2010, 08:24 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
@Muto,

Nice. Clever idea, to put the camera on the ground. (btw, don't you have some DLG fellows arround?)

I like the calm weatherconditions! Wish that was common in the Netherlands....

You Launch already higher as I do. I launch like a 6 year old girl. All my power is in my legs..... (see blog) I simply can't find my "natural born swing. I guess I need a "Bagger Vance" intervention..

I think you can improve your launch even more, by keeping your arm stretched for longer time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:15 AM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Hi Berrie,
I have no problem with my legs too. I skate 2 time per week with my son. Trying to bit 40 meters I almost ripoff the tip of the wing .
I thing that soon is going contest in Villa Maria and I am going to watch.
The plane is amazing, flying below 30 meters and grab thermals.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:52 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Hey Muto, its a nice plane indeed. To be sure: your wing is slightly bigger isn't it? I tought 1.2mtr?

Oke, a few buildingpictures to stay on topic.

If I have to work with epoxy I like to do as little as possible. I hate to fit al sorts of small fiber pieces when the clock is ticking. The last few wings/stabs I used a "double 3m77 technique". First make all parts as usual, with bakingpaper and sprayglue. But after that, I spray glued the small pieces and also 1k rovings on the largest piece of lay up:

I had one problem with making the tailboom. The 80gram/m^2 UHM UD carbon is thin and it messes up to easely while dryrolling. Its easy to prevent if you tape down the toiletpaper to prevent it from curling arround while rolling.

A few pictures from how it looks when the situation is dry. (I have to quit now, my youngest son is irritating me now. I guess I have to play.......If the pictures do not tell enough, pleas say so, I will explain later.)

Last edited by Berrie; May 28, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:51 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Nice work Berrie. I prefure to use EZ lam rezin, more work time and hard surface finish.

My plane it is 1.15 m wing spain. For S8 klas it is no less than 1.1 m .

Today I went to CASA club fild. But DLG gays wasnt there . But I have nice time fying.

Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:35 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
This is it:

A look inside the fuselage:

Finally, peacefully waiting for launch........

And, back home, on final:

Some sort of final post about our Mini Zone adventure.

Dennis used the first glass fuselage out of the molds for his Mini Zone. It was maidened on Monday the 21. Saturday the 26th we won a Mini F3K match. I was choaching and timing. Dennis did the flying. I was sometimes scared how far he went down wind! I was shouting he must not forget it wasn't a fullsize! It still wasn't fully trimmed and still not fully trowed. For example, the CG has to move a little forward. Especially when the flaps are down for thermalling.

This version turned out 123 gram.

A few words, sort of a summary, about the structure. There is a difficulty with the structure. It can be maide strong enough for the empty plane, but that structure is not strong enough for the ballasted version. What we have now is a compromise.

Tail:
The tail weight is 4-4.5 gram, rudder and elevator together. It's 33kgm^3 foam covered with 25grams glas on 45. To roving out a 140gram/m^2 are used as a spar. They need to be from tip to tip. It prevents the feathers from breaking during cross landings. It has a smal patch extra 54grams glas, poststamp size, were it is mounted on the boom.
The mount for the elevator weights, including aluminium thread, +/- 0.4 gram (I guess, I can't remember it exactly)

Tailboom:
Two layers 54grams glas at 45. One 100% layer UD HD 80 grams carbon and one extra layer over 50% of its length. At 500mm this boom weights just below 7 gram. Slighty lighter than the kite rod, mostly used. And also a better divided weight. (Its own CG closer to the plane's CG. Very important for a +/- 123 glider........ )

Wing:
This was a lucky shot. Didn't break anything. Foam 33 kg/m^2 gives a core weight of 16.7gram. Spar weight 6 gram. Covered with 54grams glas at 45.Total wing weight of this wingversion is almost 50 gram. This could be slighty less, because of the carbon servocovers.

We stick on the 8 dihidral. Perfect for thermal turning.

Fuselage:
Made of 4 layers 54grams glass, all at 45. A 24K carbon roving at the fuselage seam. One at each wingsaddle side. That makes 4 roving. At the location of the tailboom, they come together, joined with a carbon sock. This sock is about 4cm long, and placed ON the balloon. When the balloon expand, the wetted sock will be the joiner of the rear end. (it is to small there, for a wet seam. That's solved with the carbon sock) This fuse weights about 10-10.5 gram. I was hoping for a fuselage below 10gram. Mabey kevlar and clever placed rovings will do that job. I still need to make one for my own, so I will try that next time.

other stuff,

4x D47, 2x 240mAh Lipo, regulator, jackswitch, small Assan receiver and some short wires. O, and some balancing lead, about 3 gram...... thats all.

Gerald, thanks for taking the advance to design this wing.
Last edited by Berrie; Aug 17, 2010 at 06:51 AM.