SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
Festina lente
Schoonhoven, the Netherlands
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Update

Nice to see someone else is trying a Mini Zone to! Keep us informed.

A short update.

We made some decisions about the fuselage. No spectecular things, only that it becomes very small. Building in the equipment will be like surgery. Servo's are D47 and receiver a 6 channel Assan.

Cutting the cores for the tail is also at micro level. Did you ever hold a HT-22core with 25.5mm tip chord? Thats really microlevel for me!

Some pic's to get an idea:

Cores just out of the foamblock. They need to be sanded.

In the next couple of days the preparerations for bagging will take place.

I'm thinking of covering these tiny foamcores with 25grams glas at 45 and 1 1K carbon tow each side as a "spar". Never done this before so I will see how it end.... (btw, I'm not sure the carbon tow is 1K. I pull it out of 160grams square meter carbon cloth. It could be 3K too.)
Berrie is offline Find More Posts by Berrie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
17 Posts
Gerald
I would like to use your Zone profile but I am not able to use any composites at all. I am think about a built up version. Does it make sense?

If yes, can you help me in obtaining the proper profile and wing shape (I can only see attachment to your messages and no data files)?

sorry for my primitive question.

Fillis
fillis is offline Find More Posts by fillis
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,884 Posts
Fillis,

No, a built-up version of the Zone foils is not a great plan. The required accuracy won't be there. Even something like the wing architecture of the Photon would not be best. There is sag between the ribs and the Zone foils do not take that into account. If you choose built-up construction methods, then I would suggest using a foil or foil family designed for that. It should give you better results.

Gerald

Edit - Additionally, the Zone foils are quite thin to start with, and very thin at the back. It will be rather difficult to make them using built up construction. Now it is possible they would work fine, but I have not run any analysis to find out. These are the reasons I suggest using something else, something designed for the purpose.
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Feb 23, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:34 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
Barrie,

Great work. A couple of questions:

- What layup did you use for the pod?
- What airfoils are using for hoizontal (Drela HT22?) and vertical tail (Drela HT23)?
- For the wing spars, do you 1.) sand a channel or 'let in' the spars into the core before glassing, or do you 2.) just glue them on top of the core. If it is 2., do you get a noticable bump on the surface of the bagged wing?

Thanks,
MGeo
MGeo is online now Find More Posts by MGeo
Last edited by MGeo; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Found answer to one question in previous post
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Hello MGeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeo View Post
- What layup did you use for the pod?
The composite pod is not build yet. Dennis is now preparing a positive mold. I will do the negatives and the final pods. If I have a nice final lay-up I will tell it.

Quote:
- What airfoils are using for hoizontal (Drela HT22?)
Yep

Quote:
and vertical tail (Drela HT23)?
Nope, I used the Edge vertical. I will post an "As Build" drawing when we have the final version.

Quote:
- For the wing spars, do you 1.) sand a channel or 'let in' the spars into the core before glassing, or do you 2.) just glue them on top of the core. If it is 2., do you get a noticable bump on the surface of the bagged wing?
I did 1). With the greatest care I can, to minimize the profile disturbing.

Pffffff, there is so much work to do for just a 1 mtr glider.......
Last edited by Berrie; Mar 01, 2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: note about "as build" drawing.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:20 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
We have a pair of tailfeathers. They are light, and I gues they are able to do there job. But, just like the tailboom, not ment to be tested between thumps.. [edit]The carbon roving is not nice to look at. I precured tonight some 24 k roving. I spread them about 20mm with a mix of very little epoxy, 1.5gram and half a cup of spiritus. I wil cut nice carbon reinforcements out of the spreadtow.[edit]

Some pic's. First the tailgroup:

And a check about the weight. What's still to be done: accu, fuselage and some small stuff like bolts, horn's, maybe a switch and a connector and other small parts that will pop up.

[edit]
Dennis just arrived with the positive mold. That looks very nice! He already did the first 2-comp. painting.

Last edited by Berrie; Mar 02, 2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: extra info about the tailcarbon. Extra picture of the positive fusemold.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
I have finali my wings out of bag. 1150mm wingspan 14.5 dm2

muto is offline Find More Posts by muto
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
I am just back from testflying my own Mini Zone, and saw your posting in this thread. There were at least two people in the world busy with there Mini Zones at the same time....

It was my first time could fly the Mini Zone for about half an hour. I LIKE THIS LITTLE FELLOW!! Oke, to be honest, I can't compare with AG foiled mini DLG's. And this one still has a balsa fuselage.

With the dihidral of 8 degree's it turns the way I like to fly a modelsailplane. It thermals on a fart and holds the turns nicely. I've ballasted the plane with one sheet of 12.5gram lead. Dennis has flown upto a flying weight of 160 gram. He said the plane could easily handle the weight.
It needs surprisingly less elevator compensation during full brake. There's no need for hughe ruddertrows. I also add expo to elevator and aileron. I need more sticktime of course to improve, but it wasn't that difficult to find the flap/elevator setting which are approximately right.

The fun ended this afternoon with a broken boom. The boom with one 80grams UD HM carbon layer and two layers of bias 25gram is too light. It broke during launch, about 10cm behind the fuselage.

I already had made a boom with 54 grams glas, instead of the 25 grams stuff. It added appr. 0.7 gram weight. I cutted this boom to repair the broken one.

Next boom will have the following layup, of which I hope won't weigh more than 7 grams:

2 layer 54 grams glass on a bias (the tight woven stuff)
1 layer 80 grams UD HM carbon 100% boom lenght.
1 layer 80 grams UD HM carbon 30% boom lenght. (the part to the fuselage)
Last edited by Berrie; Mar 23, 2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added info about elevetor compensation
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
I am just back from
Me too. But with mu old APUS convert to DLG with AG airfoil. Little practice /I em new on DLG / and to have something to compare. I have a brocken pod witch is not really for DLG.
Left only to put together the wings and I am ready with a little 1m off mini Zone.

Here its video from yesterday flying in small baseball field with toll trees.

DLG RG onboard camera (3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by muto; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Almost ready. Left two wing servo only. Wight without them is 145 g.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,884 Posts
Pretty!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Hi, Gerald.
Can you give me a basic setup of ailerons. For this model I am going rudderless.
Thanks Dimitre
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:06 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
I am not Gerald, but because I fly the Mini Zone I feel free to answer.

For my Mini Zone I used the following as a start. (and I'm still using it)

I program for the ailerons about 11-12mm up and down, measured at the wing root. So no differantial. I program also 30-40% expo and a dual rate of 60%. Start with the 60% reduced trows for the first test flights.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:51 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Thanks, Berrie.

Its flying. And turning. And wont land.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muto View Post
And wont land.

Annoying..

There are three other Mini Zones on my workbench. It's spring, they breed like rabbits...