HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:59 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
Flaperons need to be cut out and a simple tape hinge must be applied.]
What type of tape would you use for that?
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:28 AM
Festina lente
Schoonhoven, the Netherlands
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
My buddy has some tape. I will ask him what kind of brand it is. I'm pretty sure it is nothing special.

The second half is in the bag. At the location of the trowing peg I bagged two layers extra 54 grams glas.
So, with just glass, homebrew carbon spar and tapehinges, this wing is very basic.

(it is very off-topic but like to share it. I'm now expirementing with spreading a 24K carbonroving on a piece of mylar taped on a sheet of plywood. I wet this roving with a mix of epoxy and a lot of spiritus. If you make the roving extreem wet, put a sheet of plastic on it, you can carefully spread the tow by rolling a hardroller "crosswise". You need to repeat this a few times. The roving can be spread to a with of at least 35mm. The gain is to make very flat carbon stripes from 10-15mm width from the rovings which I have in a hughe ammount. These stripes should be used for torsional stiffnes in wathever for wings I will build)
Berrie is offline Find More Posts by Berrie
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
We have a wing!

A few minutes ago I glassed the joint of the both wingparts. The wing looks and feels very flyable!

All that's left: launchpeg, horns, servo's and drilling the boltholes.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
Sweet!

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:39 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,892 Posts
I'm looking forward to flight reports! To my knowledge, you are farther along than anyone else. You might even have the only one being built.

Good luck!
Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Subscribed
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:02 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
I'm looking forward to flight reports!
Well, Dennis is working fast, he is almost finished.

Looking to the weatherforecast next saturday will be good enough for the testflight.

We will try not to forget the camera.....
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:42 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
It flys, and everybody a happy new year.

As promised, a flight report.

First two comments:
1) We forgot the photocamera (Dennis has a little on video. Maybe he will post it. No flying btw)
2) We are not ready with testing. We have been flying this tiny monster only two times.

So, at 01-01-2010 Dennis called me cause he couldn't wait any longer.
We decide to go out flying. The conditions were windy (3-4 beaufort) and the temperature about 0C. So freezing with a slippery ground. Both days the same type of weather.

The wing was mounted on a very basic wooden fuselage. The tail is from 2mm balsa sheet.(A Mimi fuse and tailgroup) Flying weight at the first day, 140 gram, second day about 135 gram.) Day 1 we flew with a all moving tail, day two a regular elevator, hinged.

We were curious about three things:

1) The strenght/stiffnes of the wing during trowing.
2) The servos used for the flaperons, BMS-303
3) Will it launch, fly and brake.....

*1) We were gratified with the strenght of the wing. Really. Only one remark. It is not possible to glue a trowing peg with 5 min. epoxy. The epoxy will certainly embrittle due to the loads caused by trowing. The peg is now glued with laminating epoxy, cellulose and tixotrop. stuff. (This joint has to be tested.)

*2) We think those servo's have a drifting problem caused by the low temperature that day. Therefore the flapsettings did not act relaible. Not good for flying because this wing is critical for flapsettings. Dennis changed the servo's in the wing to the proved D47 servo's. Those servo's also showed a bit drift cause of the freezing temperatures. But they are more accurate than the BMS-303 servo'.

*3) (experiences of two days)
- It launches high, but this note is subjective. No datalogger is used.
- It is fast and I realize whe should put more effort in lower additional drags. (which is genuine always important) I now can imagine that a flying weight of about 115 gram will work.
- To "find" the floatsetting during flying is a bit difficult. The plane doesn't like to fly slow.
- To use the maximum perfomance, you should be very active with the flaps.
- I'm not sure about the dihedral. This testwing has a dihedral of 6 degrees. (like the Supergee). I think we need more dihedral. It takes practice to keep this wing in a smooth circle. Rudder is a very valuable limb. Removing this will be like amputating, in my very humble and limitid experience. [edit-2] I also feel the need to adjust elevator flap coupling. But I need a plane for my own to figure out. (this wing is from Dennis)
- Braking is FUN. It comes down like a parachute! Can't wait to catch a thermal only to come down from the sky with full brakes. Dennis made the servolinkages that way that 90 brakes is possible..... We use only about 60-70. We forgot to test with more.

During the second flying afternoon we both were able to fly a little lift!

This wing has potential. But we would also like to test it in less windy conditions. [edit-1] I would also like to compare it with an AG-wing.

So, long story. Sorry for the miserable englisch.
Last edited by Berrie; Jan 04, 2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: text and extra remarks
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:40 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden!
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:08 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
How well would this airfoil work as an unflapped, poly wing? Would a different airfoil work better, in that instance?
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:45 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,892 Posts
The Zone wing airfoils are not a good choice for an unflapped plane. They depend on the camber changing to widen the response.

Gerald
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:03 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
Just curious Gerald; what would you consider a good foil for a rudder/elevator only glider in this size range? If your busy and nothing comes to mind off the top just leave it for future consideration.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:23 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,892 Posts
Off hand, I have no idea.

Gerald
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:32 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
921 Posts
Well obviously Drela Apogee foils.
Maybe the emphasis is on 'good'?
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...t-airfoils.htm
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:36 AM
Festina lente
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
More flying, in calm conditions.

I think that Dennis has found the "G-spot" of this Mini zone wing. He moved the gravity point back. This gives also a lighter plane. Flying weight about 125 gram.

He could trow the Mini Zone to 37-38mtr, according the logger. (He trows a Supergee in this calm conditions to 43-45mtr.)

Flying times about 80-85 seconds. A wooden Mimi gives about 55 seconds. A big improvement! And there is a bit more possible cause the wingtip showed some twist caused by locally heating the fresh epoxy for glueing the trowing peg. Aileron trim was required, therefore it was not possible to fly with the best chambersettings.

Circling is fine in more calm conditions. One thing is very nice, if you switch to speedmode you can see the plane accelerate! Reach of this wing is also MUCH better than the wooden Mimi wing.

We are very happy with this wing. We will continue with this wing.

The plan is, more or less:
- Berrie: cut and bag two wings.
- Dennis: prepare a mandrell for booms
- Berrie: try to make booms below 8 gram
- Dennis: if the final decision has been made about the booms: fuselage positieve
- Berrie: negative fuselage molds
- Berrie: fuselage

But for the coming weeks beacuse of the weather in the Netherlands my scedule will be like: sleep-work-iceskating-sleep-work-iceskating-sleep
Last edited by Berrie; Jan 05, 2010 at 08:08 AM.