http://www.baronerosso.it/forum/cate...bacarozzo.html
Oldman76 is online now Find More Posts by Oldman76
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:18 AM
I speak Texan
Beaumont, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
239 Posts
Nice plane. Has anyone tried the Zone V2 airfoils on the planform in post #18 ? Any other 1 meter Zone V2s out there?

Jason
Jason Courville is offline Find More Posts by Jason Courville
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
yeah my Phantom II 1m DLG Has zone v2 Airfoils (my own design)
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:31 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,690 Posts
Sorry guys, anything that would require me to sit down and run some analysis isn't going to happen for at least the next couple of weeks. I'm too busy.

But in general, a well designed Zone wing that gets an airfoil substitution of Zone-V2 will not be a well designed wing.

Zone-V2 has a tip airfoil that is designed for minimal drag. That has a proportionally greater influence in a smaller wing design if one doesn't use the Zone-V2-60 as the root. The Zone-V2-60 will work as a root for a smaller wing, but it wasn't optimized for the lower Reynolds numbers. It is pretty forgiving in that regard. Anyway what this means is that a design for smaller wings not using Zone-V2-60 for the root but perhaps using a -50 or a -55 blend will be a little faster and not as floaty.

You all might also want to take a look at the forgiving airfoil series. For a starting point I'd suggest a root that is about a halfway blend between the -60 and the -50 foils. It is a very easy series to design good wings with. There is no washout to deal with. The chords of the foils are essentially established to match the expected Type-II Reynolds numbers, which means in practice that a -40 foil should have a chord which is 4/5 of a -50 foil. Then one just shuffles the span-wise position of the foils to establish the desired lift distribution at a Cl suitable for floating along. It isn't going to get any easier than this for a series which has high performance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577149

Turbulation is optional. If you can make the turbulation work, there might be some additional performance to be gained. But without turbulation the performance is just a hair under Zone-V2 - in theory. In practice... possibly too little to be detected in flight. That's if one even trusts the results to that fine a level. The forgiving series will make a slightly floatier wing which is a good thing for a smaller design. Flight reports are good, at 1.5M span. Without having run the modeling, I think it should work for smaller wings as well.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
I speak Texan
Beaumont, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
239 Posts
Thanks Gerald,

I kinda thought you may be busy, thanks for the response. I'm going to try to learn how to use XFLR5 so I can analyze some wing planforms I have in mind. Thanks for the suggestions on the forgiving airfoil series. This may start me in the right direction. If all else fails, I'll just build the 1 meter zone wing. It seemed to work well for Berrie and others. This will be a nice n' juicy new project

Jason
Jason Courville is offline Find More Posts by Jason Courville
Last edited by Jason Courville; Apr 06, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:14 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Alphen aan den Rijn
Joined Dec 2007
76 Posts
Does enyone has the cutting template's for the 1M zone ?
That i cant print them out and make the cuttingmolds.

simulair like below?

Lyckele
vw4style is offline Find More Posts by vw4style
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:26 AM
Festina lente
Schoonhoven, the Netherlands
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
I will print what you need. If you pick it up I will take some time to explaine a few things cause it is a bit tricky small stuff.
Berrie is offline Find More Posts by Berrie
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:33 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Alphen aan den Rijn
Joined Dec 2007
76 Posts
Thanx Berrie
vw4style is offline Find More Posts by vw4style