HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:35 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,704 Posts
Discussion
A 1M Zone Wing

Hello everyone,

I've gotten so many requests for this... So here is a 1M Zone wing design. I haven't bothered to work out the rest of the plane. Just take the Zone 2P plane design, and reduce the span of the horizontal and vertical to 2/3 the span and reduce the tailboom length to about .7 as long. That will be good enough.

I recommend going rudderless on this one. The design weight for this wing is 100g. To get there you'll have to drop out the rudder servo. You might also consider getting rid of the connector between the wing and the wiring harness as it just adds weight. A 1M plane should transport pretty well fully assembled anyway, and on rare occasions when full disassembly is required just unplug from the receiver.

Probably use something like CR2 batteries, 3xD47 servos, and a 2.4 receiver, no regulator or switchjack, so the weight can be kept to a minimum. It is very important that the weight be kept down.

The sink rate should be comparable to a competitive 1.5M plane! However it won't be as fast or be able to cover as much ground. It will be faster than other 1M planes out there, and should launch pretty well. It could be used in competitions as long as one didn't have to range very far downwind. For that, there is no substitute for span.

Don't be concerned with the airfoil progression marked around the tip curve. The tip panel should be cut with a Zone-21 at the tip and the rest will take care of itself. The progression you see is what I used for modeling.

Enjoy!
Gerald

EDIT ************** New design in post 18 supercedes this one. It is sufficiently better to make a difference.
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Oct 30, 2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updated design
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
NICE! I look forward to seeing someone build one and test it out.
eager to know results,
ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:55 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,260 Posts
May I ask what is the name of the program you are using?
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:08 AM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,690 Posts
I can wait to see somebody to meet that 100g mark
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:12 AM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Hi Gerald
I am looking for 1200 mm wingspain design.

Dimitre
muto is offline Find More Posts by muto
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:50 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrsly
I can wait to see somebody to meet that 100g mark
The Apogee Elite can built at 3.7oz with four servos; remove the rudder servo with all the linkage and there you have the 3.5 oz Gerald is talking about - as for the other claims Gerald makes nothing we already didn't know for those who fly the high performance 1M class, and I think is fantastic someone else is promoting this size

Thanks Gerald for the infusion into this worthy cause, if we could get you and Phil to make a couple so we could have informal 1M after done flying the 1.5M at some of the contest, now that would something

Jose @ ECM
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Last edited by Jose E Bruzual; Oct 01, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:29 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,704 Posts
skyzking,

XFLR5 4.15 The other versions are not stable enough in my opinion and from what I've gotten from others. XFLR5 is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) over top of Xfoil. There is a learning curve but for anyone doing designing or modeling I recommend it. The price is right and the capabilities are good. It is not perfect.

Gerald
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined May 2008
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose E Bruzual
The Apogee Elite can built at 3.7oz with four servos; remove the rudder servo with all the linkage and there you have the 3.5 oz
I can't wait to see one! If anybody achieve that, it will prabobly be You.

Quote:
As for the other claims Gerald makes nothing we already didn't know for those who fly the high performance 1M class, and I think is fantastic someone else is promoting this size
It is fantastic, agreed!

Quote:
Thanks Gerald for the infusion into this worthy cause, if we could get you and Phil to make a couple so we could have informal 1M after done flying the 1.5M at some of the contest, now that would something

Jose @ ECM
Agreed again. I can't wait for that too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:52 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,704 Posts
Honestly folks I did this design more because I kept getting requests for it than for any other reason. My focus is on the 1.5M planes primarily. I'm not expecting to build one of these; I just think if someone does with an accurate wing and meets specs then everyone might be surprised by the performance. Since the Zone foils handle low Re quite a bit better than the other stuff I've tested...

Gerald
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined May 2008
1,690 Posts
Hey! I don't complain, just thot that asuming 100g as total weight is little ambitious for moust of us.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:05 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,837 Posts
Gerald,
Thanks for putting this together. I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks, but then I'm on it. I flew my 9oz Zone in dead air tonight until I ran the battery down, then pulled out my Sparrow Hawk and did more AULD with Roy. I think there is room for improvement. I'll give it another go with rudderless, and see if it works better on the small plane. I've got some Dymond 3.7 servos that I inherited, 3 of those, a Berg 4L and a 1S 210mAh lipo might get me down around 100g. I'll also try the full flying stab. I'm really liking it on the big plane now that I've got it dialed in. That plane had some teething problems, maybe it's just as well I didn't get to Wilson with it.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
Festina lente
Schoonhoven, the Netherlands
Joined May 2006
242 Posts
Gerald, we have just decided to give this wing a try! This desing comes at a good moment for us. The following months (we are not that fast ) will be used to build this skinny bird.

Lot's of things to find out were we don't have experience with. For example:

flaperon servo's
elevator servo
(maybe a rudder. We have trained so many years to use our left thumb.... )
2.4GHz receiver (even the sendmodule has to be bought. We are looking of an Assan module)

above system should be working with one Lipo.

keep you informed. Regards, Berrie & Dennis.
Berrie is offline Find More Posts by Berrie
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:05 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,704 Posts
Berrie & Dennis,

Good luck! Keep us appraised!

I suggested not using a rudder because of the weight savings which are significant on a model of this size. Getting the weight down to design range will be worth it. I'm thinking that is going to be difficult with 4 servos. I too like having a rudder. I consider it pretty indespensible. But I wouldn't use one on this plane. If you always have wind though, go ahead and use a rudder. The plane will just be slightly pre-ballasted

Gerald
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,192 Posts
Hi Gerald

Were you paying attention (happen to notice)at Wilson when I was flying my 40" SPARROW HAWK, it was launching high and IMO flying a good bit faster than my 60" Predators or my Taboo Gt, ever though about flying, also it was really going way, way out to my limits of being able to see it to control the little bugger. To bad I had not added enough camber to slow that sucker down so it would fly well in lift. Much better now.
I've been wrong before (once) but I think you will be pleasantly supprised at how well your 40" zone is going to perform, may need to add a bit of weight though to get that fast, long legs performance. I do suppose all that depends on how your zone airfoil scaled down. I'm optimistic though and I'll probably be bugging David Forbes for a 40" SparrowHawk Zone, in the near future.
I believe I was the first to ask about a 40" zone here in the HL forum, so I hope David keeps me in mind.

Thanks much Gerald,

walt

PS David,
What are you doing leaving the country, you've got work to do
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,704 Posts
Hmmm, noticed I didn't post any performance info here. Have to rectify that.

Gerald