HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Question
Futaba 9C super for DLG

I'm flying a DLG w/ELE/RUD/AIL with a Futaba 9C Super. With the basic programming and mixing I have no problems.
My question is on which controls/switches do folks prefer with the
Futaba 9C Super for:

Camber setting
Reflex set
Launch preset
Off and On AIL to RUD mix

I am right handed so lead with my left hand with the radio in it on launch. All controls but the launch preset don't really matter so much, but if you are holding the radio in your left hand??.....how best to work with launch preset with the 9C? I'm open to all and any ideas!! I know that some things cannot be put on the control that you would like, but where do we have possibilities?

Douglas
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
WA
Joined Jan 2005
445 Posts
Hi Douglas

I use an 8UAFS so not much difference.

start/speed-Camber setting
start/speed-Reflex set
F switch using pmix's-Launch preset
Left thumb(I don't use this mix)-Off and On AIL to RUD mix

Ken
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,712 Posts
Douglas,

I hope Phil Barnes drops into this thread, as I believe that is the radio he is using at this time.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:14 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
I used the 8U for many, many years and just this season switched over to the 9Csuper so that I could have elevator trim specific to flight mode. I'll tell you how I have my 9Csuper set up for DLG:

Flaperons are plugged into channels 1 & 7.
Elevator is CH2.
Rudder is CH4.

DLGs are programmed as type Glider2flap-c.

I have OFFSET-1 set up as my launch preset. That means that I have speed camber set and the elvator is trimmed for the initial pitch up setting. This mode is only on during the throw and until the model has pitched up to near vertical on the launch trajectory.

OFFSET-2 is my speed mode. This has the same speed camber for the Flaperons as launch mode but the elevator setting is such that the plane tracks dead straight regardless of speed. I switch out of LAUNCH mode directly into this SPEED mode after the launch pitchup.

OFFSETS 1 & 2 are on the 3 position E switch (top left of transmitter). The center position of the E switch is used for CRUISE mode. The Flaperon subtrims should be set at the cruise poistion since this is what you get when the other flight modes are switched off.

I have THERMAL mode set up on OFFSET-3 and asign that to the F switch (top left behind the E switch). Here you have thermal camber set and thermal elevator trim.

On the SW/MODE screen I have AIRBRAKE assigned to the throttle stick. OFFSETS 1 & 2 assigned to Switch E. OFFSET-3 assigned to Switch F. OFFSET trims set to MIX. I have Butterfly set to switch NULL so that it is always ON and also this means that this mode will not interfere with the other modes. If you set Butterfly to only be ON when a switch is turned on then it will override the OFFSET mixes and your elevator and aileron trims will only work within the butterfly mix when the Butterfly mix is on.

I set up landing flaps and elevator compensation for landing flaps in the Butterfly mix and the Butterfly-ELEV mixer respectively.

I set aileron deflection within the AIL-DIFF menu. I have equal up and down aileron deflection and it is the same for all flight modes although you can set up a different aileron differential for each mode if you want to.

I have the ELEV-FLAP mixer set up to droop the flaperons a bit with up elevator deflection.

I have an aileron to rudder mix on one of the PMIXes. Mine is on all the time but you can assign any switch to turn it on and off if you choose.

I use two of the PMIXes to offset the flaperon servos. This is one area where the 9Csuper is not quite as capable as earlier radios. The 8U and 9C could offset both flaperon servos with a single pmix or with no pmixes at all (it could be done within the FLAP-AILERON mixer which the 9Csuper does not have, at least not in the Glider2flap-c menu).

I use one PMIX as an elevator trim for CRUISE mode. It simply mixes the left slider to elevator at a small percentage.

With this setup, I have independent trims for LAUNCH, SPEED and THERMAL mode. When in CRUISE mode (all other modes or OFFSET mixes turned OFF), the left slider can vary the elevator trim while the normal trim button acts as a global trim. Global trim would be used to fix thermal drift issues that might affect elevator trim.

That is just my personal setup. There are many, many other options. Lots of guys would use the F switch for the launch preset while keeping three different camber settings on the E switch. That option works especially well if yours is an airplane transmitter (rather than a helicopter version) with the spring loaded switch as the F switch.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
Gerald's wish has come true
Old Oct 01, 2009, 02:07 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Thanks very much Phil for your ideas. It is more or less what I thought, but wanted to hear what other pilots are doing with the 9C super. One question though, Why do you use aileron differential in one mode and equal throw in another?

Douglas
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:23 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
My aileron deflections are the same for all flight modes. In fact they are same in all flight modes and the same for every DLG I own. I have 3/8" up deflection and 3/8" down deflection, that's all the time everywhere.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:09 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes
My aileron deflections are the same for all flight modes. In fact they are same in all flight modes and the same for every DLG I own. I have 3/8" up deflection and 3/8" down deflection, that's all the time everywhere.
Interesting. I test flew a homebrew DLG aka SuperGee wing planform/airfoils and I went with 3/8 up/down and during the 20kt test flight I found when the wind gusted me over 60 degrees she was slow to roll back.

What a way to test fly a model but she sure flew well.

Now to get out on a calm day and do some flying where I can get the balance point dialed in.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:50 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,478 Posts
Well I got out for a bit today with very light winds and yep, Phil's setup is perfect.
My new homebrew DLG flies very nicely.

Curtis
www.TailwindGliders.com
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Oct 02, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:27 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Phil, Sorry I read it wrong about AIL DIF. The question is then why do you always use equal AIL DIF and with all of your planes. I read that and thought that there must be a reason! We've all heard and been initiated in the thought that DIF is good! And if you can't do it cause your radio can't: Too bad you'll have to bear with it. I know alot powered aircraft do equal DIF's so I get the idea that it maybe has to do with more power and/ speed???? I don't have a clue. The difference I have seen over the years between having no chance for DIF in my sailplanes and now having it with all of them is phenomenal especially in thermalling. But if you are talking about slope or dynamic soaring then maybe it's all working in another way which I don't know about! Looking forward to your answer/comments!

Douglas
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:36 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
I first got rid of differential in my ailerons for DLG back in about 2001 because Tom Kiesling suggested it. Later Mark Drela posted the reason to not use differential. I would not claim that I could notice the difference myself between having differential or not.

The simplest way to give the reason is to give you some links to Mark Drela's posts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ch#post3330384

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ch#post3705335

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ch#post5867899
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:23 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Thanks Phil, I'll surely read it all up!

Douglas