HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:09 PM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys View Post
Got the BF-109 PNP version yesterday, spent today assembling and testing the groung steering, then decided to fly. About a minute into the flight, after doing an alieron roll, I guess I must have been too slow and stalled a wing, the plane nosed down and entered a spin. I pulled power back, and added some up elevator, but there was nothing I could do expect watch it be destroyed apon hiting the deck. I hate to see a plane die, even a cheap one. But all the electrical equipment is ok, so I'm going to but the Airframe only version and try, try again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope I can learn from my mistake and not crash another one.
That is probably what happened my friend. I had my first experience like that with my P-51 gunfighter on the 4th flight or so. I turned sharp at low airspeed, and it entered a tumble just 30ft from the ground. I tried to recover but it was unstoppable. Ever since, my slow flying has never been accompanied with any maneuvers. Take it as a lesson and move on, the 109 acts like its full sized brother with landing/takeoff and flight characteristics, so you do need to keep your eye on it all the time. But you will love it once you have a successful flight.

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:37 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Got the BF-109 PNP version yesterday, spent today assembling and testing the groung steering, then decided to fly. About a minute into the flight, after doing an alieron roll, I guess I must have been too slow and stalled a wing, the plane nosed down and entered a spin. I pulled power back, and added some up elevator, but there was nothing I could do expect watch it be destroyed apon hiting the deck. I hate to see a plane die, even a cheap one. But all the electrical equipment is ok, so I'm going to but the Airframe only version and try, try again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope I can learn from my mistake and not crash another one.
If you find yourself in a spin again, add power, stop the rotation of the spin with opposite rudder, and push the nose down to break the stall. That's the fastest way out of a spin. Pulling up on the elevator only deepens the spin. Sorry you learned an expensive lesson.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 AM
USA, TX, El Campo
Joined Sep 2008
118 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Just $80 gets me a new air-frame, so it isn't to bad. All the electronics are ok. If I could have stopped the spin, I still would have inpacted the ground, but then mabey it could have been easily fixed. I thought I was high enough, but I'll just get higher next time, and take it very easy on the controls. I did notice that when I was assembling the plane, the right elevator half was bent upwards!!!! With foam, Its hard to take the bend out, (I guess I need to learn a method to do that). I tried to bend it straigh but didn't work. I think when I added up elevator to try and exit the spin, that bent elevator half added in some roll and that was it, into the dirt. But Im ready to try the airplane again. Gonna order a new airframe fomr the LHS sometime this week.
codys is offline Find More Posts by codys
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,489 Posts
BTW you need to be able to tell the difference between a spin and a spiral dive - they look similar, but the recovery action is different. Most models are quite hard to get into a proper spin.

In a spin the wing is stalled, and the plane rotates about an axis that passes through the centre of the model. Very, very few models will continue to spin with the controls centralised. It's extremely rare to need the 'full size' spin recovery technique.

In a spiral dive the wing is not stalled, and the plane rotates about an axis external to the model. Recovery is just a case of levelling the wings and pulling out.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
USA, TX, El Campo
Joined Sep 2008
118 Posts
I'm not sure if it was a spin or spiral of death!!!!!!!!! It happend fast, mabey about 3 seconds from entry to crash. I pulled back power all the way and added up elevator but the model had no reaction. It was a 2.4 Ghz transmitter, the Tx and Rx that come with the Blade CX2 that I put in the BF-109, but the Rx was still working when I got to the plane, so I don't think there was a glich in the Rx power or anything. O well, Lesson learned, time to get another one!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:48 PM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure if it was a spin or spiral of death!!!!!!!!! It happened fast, maybe about 3 seconds from entry to crash. I pulled back power all the way and added up elevator but the model had no reaction. It was a 2.4 Ghz transmitter, the Tx and Rx that come with the Blade CX2 that I put in the BF-109, but the Rx was still working when I got to the plane, so I don't think there was a glich in the Rx power or anything. O well, Lesson learned, time to get another one!!!!!!!
Wait... Tx and Rx from the CX2?? The LP5DSM is a NONO for larger models like the Bf-109. It is classified as a "low power transmitter" meaning that it is designed for either ultra micro planes/helis or micro helis, because it doesn't have that much range. A "full range" Spektrum/JR radio (DX5e, DX6i, DX7, X9303, X9503, 12X) has "unlimited range" at least to a degree. The transmitter you're using if I understand correct is NOT a good idea to use with models that you are going to fly farther away from yourself because you will loose range quicker. Now it still may have been the stall that we concluded before that caused the crash, however, if you had no control AT ALL then it was definitely a loss of connection of TX to RX due to the radio gear you are using.

Check out this website: http://www.bindnfly.com/CompatibleProducts/

If you are going to fly your Bf-109 again with confidence, I say please my friend get a full range DSM2 radio from Spektrum or JR. It is mandatory for your safety and the plane's survival.

Please take this into consideration, I believe that the radio gear you were using was a fatal mistake.

Tim
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:50 PM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
From the BindnFly webiste:

E-flite and ParkZone Transmitters Compatibility

Use this chart to determine what Bind-N-Fly aircraft can be flown with the 2.4GHz DSM transmitter that came with your ready-to-fly airplane or helicopter. Many DSM transmitters that come with micro and ultra-micro aircraft were not designed for use with larger, faster park flyers and have limited range. Attempting to fly a larger, faster Bind-N-Fly airplane or heli with one of these transmitters could result in the loss of the aircraft or, worse, personal injury and damage to property.

Tim
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,378 Posts
Admiral 14 is right on about that transmitter and receiver not being the ones to use with this plane. While range may not have played a part in your recent crash it is not safe to fly the Bf-109 with a close range radio system. The full size of the transmitter that came with the CX2 may have caused you to think it is a full range transmitter but it is not! You need a new radio system to safely fly the Bf-109. Better luck with your future flying. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:39 AM
USA, TX, El Campo
Joined Sep 2008
118 Posts
Thanks for the Info. I just used that Tx and Rx because I didn't have another 72 Mhz Rx ready to use. I will not do that again!!!!!!!!! I assumed the Rx was used in other park flyers, but now I know that the transmitter is the wrong type to use!!!!! I've been planning on buying a Spectrum Tx, mabey the DX7 because later on down the road I plan on flying turbines and I know u need as many channels as u can get. A 9 channel will be better, like the 9303 or the new Hitec Aurora.
Thanks again guys, now I know that I need another Full range transmitter!!!!!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:01 AM
Skeep
United States, SC, Blythewood
Joined Jan 2010
4 Posts
Question for the savants on the Dx6i setup for the Messerschmidt: Is it possible to coordinate the Rudder with the Ailerons so that it is a one-stick procedure to make a turn? AND if I install my Flaps, are they synchronized with the Elevators? Do I make these changes in the Dx6i or where? I'm sort of lost on this procedure...
Skeep is offline Find More Posts by Skeep
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:54 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,378 Posts
The mixes exist on the DX7 for rudder and aileron as well as flap/elevator. I don't know about the DX6i.
I had a nice flight with my 109 this morning on the way to work. Love the longer days. My mornings will go darker this weekend with Daylight Savings Time. Have not had the landing gear on for a couple of months now. Really love the looks of my plane in the air without them. My motor and motor mount are still in good shape. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
Help with messerscmidt!!!! please

Hi,

I just bought a parkzone messerschmidt and have bound it to my spektrum dx6i. (off of ebay-- hobb-e-mart)

The throttle won't go to full power. It provides barely enough thrust to taxi around-- certainly not enough to take off.

I've messed with all the settings on the dx6i that i could think of.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there another setting I'm missing? Is the ESC incorrectly configured?

Please help.
scottavey is offline Find More Posts by scottavey
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottavey View Post
Hi,

I just bought a parkzone messerschmidt ..........
The throttle won't go to full power. It provides barely enough thrust to taxi around-- certainly not enough to take off.

Please help.

Have you done this before?
Is the battery properly charged?
What are you using to charge the battery?
Do you have anytjing to check the battery?
Does the motor turn freely?
Are wiring connectors tight?
Max Headspeed is online now Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
Hey Scott. Check throttle trims and sub trims and control throws on the radio. I have the 6i and it worked. Good luck!
jcs06h is offline Find More Posts by jcs06h
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
This happened to me on my first flight of the BF-109G as well. It happend during a loop, not a roll. During the loop, right at the top(when speed is slow) my plane starting spinning out of control, and spun to the ground breaking in two! Luckily I was able to repair it to just like new condition. But I think this roll was caused by the 3 blade prop and the torque it produces. During normal flight it was fine, but duing flight that was too slow(with high throttle - like at top of a loop) the plane freaks out. I am going to try this plane with a T-28 prop and see how that goes. With stock motor I hope it works well, if not enough power, there is another motor recommended that 'drops right in' and is more suited for smaller 2 blade props(like the T-28 prop)
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984