DC-3/C-47 kits?

Which companies offer an ARF DC-3 kit?
CAWayne is offline Find More Posts by CAWayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2003, 04:15 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
The DC3 is an 'undermodelled' plane which is to say there is not enough demand for someone to make an ARF.

You may have to settle for the Tower Hobbies kit offering and convert it to e-flight. This is a big plane, something like an 80" WS.

I believe Nick Ziroli offers a C47 kit, again for glow engines.

The closest thing to a DC3 'ARF' was offered by Hobby-Lobby. They offered a 60" WS (for twin S400/480's) for $99 on a closeout. Even this plane took perhaps 24 to 30 hours build time. At least three of us on the E-Zone purchased them. Two of them are assembled and being flown, one isn't. It is a beautiful FG fuse with a balsa skinned foam wing.

You might want to do a web searh on HVP models out of the Czech Republic. They might have some of these around.

Good hunting
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Apr 22, 2003, 07:21 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Dudeck
...At least three of us on the E-Zone purchased them. Two of them are assembled and being flown, one isn't. ...

This is a hint isn't it Larry? I really have to get started on mine...

The DC-3 Larry is talking about that HL sold is from HVP in the Czech Republic. I guess you could order one somehow. http://www.hvp-modell.cz
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 23, 2003, 07:13 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
This is a hint isn't it Larry? I really have to get started on mine...

Yes, not vey subtle, though...

Sal,

It really is a good flyer, very fast (if your into that sort of flying ) 10 minute flights are easy with the 8CP1700 pack and reduced throttle. A 7x3000 Nimh pack could result in flight times of 20 minutes

Biggest problem I have is slowing it down for a greaser as it tends to land hot. Flaperons, perhaps?
Old Apr 23, 2003, 07:58 AM
Catskill Mountains
Joined Feb 2002
100 Posts
Check out POLK hobbies. I don't know the web address but its owned by Luwis Polk who also owns www.aristocrafttrains.com
You might find a link there or at least an email address. He has a great c-47 arf.

Hope this helps

Ryan
ratman is offline Find More Posts by ratman
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
CA Wayne,

Take a look at POLK HOBBIES if you haven't done so.

72" WS, twin S600, 10 lbs.

Yowzah!!!!

But $300????

double yowzah
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:09 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
HVP C-47

Larry is right, the DC-3 / C-47 is quite an undermodelled airplane, yet the interest may seem to be there when the kits do arrive. I hear that GWS will be making one, which would be a very nice parkflier, but you may be waiting quite some time before that is ever released.

I have the HVP DC-3, and enjoy it very much. It flies very well, but a tad fast for scale looks sometimes. The Wing comes sheeted and the Fuselage is a beautiful fiberglass, so mainly all you have to do is install the electronics, motors, and finish. Unfortunately, the kit directions leave a lot to be desired. If you do find one, be sure to ask around here on the EZone if you have any questions or doubts about the assembly, we've already been there.

Hope the weather is nice so I can get mine out again this weekend
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:13 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Here's mine,...

A quick photo of my HVP C-47 with Speed 400s,.... Larry post a pic here of your beauty....

More photos in my Member Gallery -- Click Here

Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:21 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
Here is my DC3. It has now logged 10 flights. I have coupled 25% rudder with the ailerons to smooth out the turns
Old Apr 25, 2003, 06:27 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,084 Posts
I'm working on one right now. It's an adaptation of the control line 1954 Air Trails plans by Walter Musciano. Mr. Musciano was kind enough to suggest a more-appropriate airfoil and hooked me up with spun aluminum cowlings. I'm working with several CAD and simulation packages to find the "best" fit for this.

However, we have no plans to kit this. I'm building it as a "toy" for myself. Gotta have fun, ya know!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:08 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
http://www.polkshobby.com is the address to Polk's hobbies. Seems to be down right now, though.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:45 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Building up the courage to build up the DC-3

I am one of the people who purchased the HVP model at full price from Hobby-Lobby. The DC-3 has been a favorite of mine ever since childhood (early 70's).

I have just over a year flying under my belt. I thought, from the construction, that the HVP model would be fast (especially with two cobalt 400's I have for it). So, SalC is not the only one with one NIB .

My hope is to model it after the DC-3 in the Smithsonian... when I work up the courage.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:01 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,455 Posts
reills,

The DC3 is fast with two s400's and DD 125x110 props. Even with this set up it does not look 'scale' when flying at FT.

I fly mine somewhere around half throttle and that looks about right.

It does land hot, though...

For some building tips check out the scale forum and the DC3
Old Apr 29, 2003, 08:15 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2000
292 Posts
Gret looking planes, thanks for the info.

Wayne
CAWayne is offline Find More Posts by CAWayne
Old May 22, 2003, 11:13 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Tried to find the HVP DC-3 but had no such luck. I finally found a couple at kits at New Creations but it was the Hirobo DC-3 Dakota and the Velkom DC-3 that they had in stock. They said the Hirobo kit was of better quality and it also comes with the motors, props and prop adapeters.
Good luck on your search. I haven't tried conatacting HVP direct but I think it's the best chance to finding one.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd