HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Discussion
What do you do or take for pain.

I seem to only tolerate aspirin... I hate the narcotic prescription drugs loaded with acetaminophen.
If I really need strong pain relief I take an Ibuprofen or Naprox.

I've been in pain the last two days from a re-roofing project. so It's fresh on my mind.

Long Hot baths soothe aching mussels and such but back pain needs a potion of sorts.
Just wonder what works for you...
Paul, (arbo) you started this....
Getting us old guys building things and the like.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
biofreeze, Ibuprofen, mangosteen, massage
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Massage is a miracle and works almost better than anything but it's very expensive.

Biofreeze and mangosteen are new words for me...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
While aspirin and such work fine for headaches and minor pains, nothing I've found over-the-counter works for the really bad pains.

Since I'm already in touch with my doctor at least twice a year, she knows me well enough to give me a prescription for Hydrocodeine that I can keep handy for when I just can't function as a result of pain.
A prescription of a dozen pills lasts me (usually) six months or so, and I only need to take one when one of my knees gets really bad, or when I get one of my way-too-frequent ear-aches that leave me without the ability to even think straight, or like you, when I throw my back out doing something I should never have attempted (again, like you ).

For the kind of pain that's so bad that you don't give a darn if you died that moment, you're going to have to go the doctor route and get the strong stuff.

And to offer the usual warning, don't abuse it.
I'm good with limiting prescription painkillers to when I truly need them because I'm pretty much in pain all the time. What that means is that I recognize the usual level at which I experience pain, so I am also good at immediately recognizing when all hell has broken loose and I need something to get me over the bad part.
Then it's back to just the usual hurting again that I can handle pretty well without drugs.
But as a fellow old guy, you know what that's all about.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
I seem to only tolerate aspirin... I hate the narcotic prescription drugs loaded with acetaminophen.
If I really need strong pain relief I take an Ibuprofen or Naprox.

I've been in pain the last two days from a re-roofing project. so It's fresh on my mind.

Long Hot baths soothe aching mussels and such but back pain needs a potion of sorts.
Just wonder what works for you...
Paul, (arbo) you started this....
Getting us old guys building things and the like.

I'm with you on the aspirin and the hot bath (followed by a good nights sleep).
None of the other non- prescription stuff seems to do jack diddly for me.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
I avoid all drugs as best I can... For pain I will simply put up with it. If it is joint pain i will take it easy until the pain dies down and then do some physical therapy ( exercise)

For muscular pain I will use a topical analgesic like Icy hot sometimes.

I also refrain from taking antibiotics even when I am sick.. I just let everything run its course.... Although I will admit that I rarely get sick I cant say for sure if it is because I make my immune system handle everything or if I am ust young and lucky in that respect.

I would NEVER take mood altering drugs or things intended to treat depression...

I really feel the only good drug is No drug... Yes I understand some meds are 100 percent necessary....Everything else jsut scares me.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
Massage is a miracle and works almost better than anything but it's very expensive.

Biofreeze and mangosteen are new words for me...
http://www.biofreeze.com/

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/comp...angosteen1.htm

Mangosteen could be debatable, much like zinc for sore throats. /shrug
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
I avoid all drugs as best I can... For pain I will simply put up with it.
I really feel the only good drug is No drug... Yes I understand some meds are 100 percent necessary....Everything else jsut scares me.
Then you haven't yet experienced true pain; you know, the kind where you want to stick a fork in your eye to take your mind off of the pain you feel elsewhere.
That kind of pain.

I don't like drugs of any kind myself. But unless you feel that you might be easily addicted, you might give a prescription painkiller a try when you really need it.
There's a simple test you can use when you take Hydrocodeine. If you feel high when you take it, then you didn't need it for pain.
When I take it, I only feel the slight relief from the searing pain that makes it bearable without any "high" feeling at all.
If you take it and get high, then you didn't need it for the pain.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
Then you haven't yet experienced true pain; you know, the kind where you want to stick a fork in your eye to take your mind off of the pain you feel elsewhere.
That kind of pain.

I don't like drugs of any kind myself. But unless you feel that you might be easily addicted, you might give a prescription painkiller a try when you really need it.
There's a simple test you can use when you take Hydrocodeine. If you feel high when you take it, then you didn't need it for pain.
When I take it, I only feel the slight relief from the searing pain that makes it bearable without any "high" feeling at all.
Great description Highflight, A fork is allways there as an attempt at distraction.

I think I've met and feel your pain at times....
Not something you want hanging around for sure.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:17 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
That kind of pain.

Trust me I have... I wrestled in HS and half the time had a broken nose.... My knee surgery was insanely painful. I went about three days with a shattered tooth that hurt so bad I couldn't even breath through my mouth.

I play on a semi pro football team and slam into 250 lb guys on a weekly basis.

I will admit, other than my tailbone and nose I have not broken any bones.

One med I did take was something called Medesgic. It was basically a big caffeine pill to stop severe/debilitating migraines in their tracks.

If I was to not take one... i would stay curled up on the floor vomiting and in severe pain for HOURS. not fun. Glad I dont get those anymore.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:23 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,570 Posts
Bilbobaker,
I have live in pain for the past 30 years or so. When it really got bad I was taking Cataflam (diclofenac 50 mg every 4-6 hours) and Ultracet (a bunch goint through about 100 every 10 days or so). The diclofenac is an non-steroidial and helps with inflammation and also for some unknown reason actually helps with pain. I had two bad hips. When I finally went in for the first surgery, the Dr. asked how I got in to the hospital that morning. Told him I walked in with my two walking sticks and asked why he asked. He said in all the hip replacement surgeries he had done, this was the first one that the hip was already dislocated prior to surgery. He then said he understood why I hurt so much.

Anyway, now I take mostly diclofenac and darvocet (generic). When I really hurt or have kidney stones I take 1/2 mg or lorazepam (it helps relax everything) and Lortab 5(generic). I have tried Ultracet (tramadol) and they and the Lortab make me itch. My Doctor swears that the lorazepam cannot help with kidney stones, but he let me use it anyway. In June I passed 16 stones from 1.5 to 2.5mm. Not big, but have lots of pain power built in.

Pain is part of the aging process and with ankylosing spondylitis joint pain is a given. I will say, that nothing over the counter ever offered any releif to me.

Highflight is correct about addiction. If you only treat to the level of pain, addiction should not be a problem. I can honestly say that the only time I haven't had pain in the past 30 years is when I am put to sleep for surgery. But the problem with that is in 1997 I was put to sleep 5 times in 6 months. Never drooled before that. Occassionally it happens. My memory has never quite been the same since then either. But I am not addicted because I have never taken enough pain killer to stop it all.

Good luck in your search.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LcJ; Sep 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:27 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,845 Posts
Ibuprofen + muscle relaxants for the occasional "Geez, I shouldn't have done that" pain

oxycodone - acetaminophen for my recent sciatica run in (serious pain). Took it twice, they left me feeling stunned. Still have the balance, and don't plan to use them.
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Percoset, alcohol, and a few lapdances... Oh Canada !

D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:05 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I just come to LTUP and within minutes my pain is gone.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,789 Posts
800 mg Ibuprofen as a loading dose, then 200 to 400 mg q 6 hrs prn for pain. Watch taking hydrocodone along with actm as it usually contains actm also. Hot baths is always a good bet. And work the sorness out, start slow and build up to a normal routine.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot