HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Where is your COG? what is the AUW? What prop are you using? what is the static current draw @ WOT? Not surprising it won't roll with the 1s setup which is a floater setup not great for aerobatics really. Mine can Fly quite fast with the 1 cell but my motor is fresh and I'm using a 4.40 prop (estimated). My current draw is static 1 amp @ WOT so I can use a 120 mah lipo. the light weight also helps keep the damage down on pavement operations.
Hi Modfly/micman

- COG seems to be at the plastic wing reinforcing bars (the white plastic ones on the top, not the CF).
- AUW about 50g
- Using the GWS 5043 prop that was already on it from my Sukhoi

I don't know what the static current draw is, but it seems to be taking quite a lot - when the LVC kicked in I quickly tried that lipo in a stock Sukhoi, and it still flew with no LVC pulsing (to begin with). The again, that difference is voltage drop could just be the reduced current draw on the stock Sukhoi prop.

Thanks for confirming that it won't roll - I had assumed that the incredible rudder authority present in the 2S version that lets you snap roll in a blink would be present to a degree even in a 1S setup.

I also thought it would be more spirited, given how the Sukhoi can perform with the same setup... but I guess the Sukhoi is lighter, and I am beginning to realise that the degraded performance that I experienced in the Sukhoi was not just down to crumple zones and weight of tape/glue/repairs, but also a tired motor...

I am actually also about to retire my UM p51 - would anyone know if the motor from that be a drop fit into my Sukhoi guts already in this Nataku, or would I need to fit in the P51 gearbox, too?
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Last edited by bluefisherking; Jun 10, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Here is my latest mods for the Nataku. This plane uses a Vapor brick with a UM P-51 motor and gearbox with a 4.40 prop and 110 mah lipo. Flys very good with this configuration. You can see in the first pic that the plane can take either JST or PZ connector.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
217 Posts
hi,
i got this plane today, and the instructions are poor! how do i stick the bent metal pieces to the flaps (elev and rudd) ?
am i meant to be sticking them on? i've got 2 small pieces of fiberglass which are odd shapes and it doesn't mention them in the instructions?
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
189 Posts
the odd shaped fiberglass is are the elevator and rudder horns. cut a little slit in them and push them in, and glue them in place.
the metal rods join onto the carbon rods with ca glue, and secured by shrink wrap. the z bends go into the servo horn and the elevator/rudder horns.
micman75 is offline Find More Posts by micman75
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
217 Posts
ahh yea worked it out cheers saw some pics earlier on! what glue are you using to glue the fiberglass to the foam? i assume CA will melt it?
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
189 Posts
i use water based polyurethane... its called water based cabothane here in Aust
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:26 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
I used foam-safe CA...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:42 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jan 2009
90 Posts
Great plane once modded with ailerons

I'm done with the fiddling of this plane. Last fly was great. The plane handles very good with ailerons. I'll post some pics of my plane later.
Basically, I had this plane laying around for a while and only recently bought adequate batteries from HK. I spent a lot of time building it with regard to its size. First experience with default rudder with very disappointing but once I added the ailerons, it became alive.
Telechat is offline Find More Posts by Telechat
Last edited by Telechat; Sep 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:03 AM
Joined Aug 2009
189 Posts
agree... it's great with the ailerons. Still enjoy flying the Nataku everynow and then.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:36 PM
Paris, France
Joined Jan 2009
90 Posts
Also the one thing I'm concerned about is the flight time. I would expect a bit more than what I'm getting with my current 2S 138mAh cells from HK:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10915

Any upgrade recommended over the ones I'm using?
Telechat is offline Find More Posts by Telechat
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:50 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
459 Posts
HK Cessna Bipe

I have had the HK Cessna for some time. It came with a 2S ESC and flew like a skyrocket - too much for a senior citizen like me! I purchased a 1S ESC and fitted a 300 mah cell, and although it slowed down a little, it was still very slick, so I put it aside.

I picked it up again recently and wondered what it would look like as a biplane - probably quite pretty and a big plus was that it should fly much slower. A top wing was made from 2mm Depron on the same planform as the original wing. The two wings were joined with wide interplane struts made from 3mm Depron reinforced with strips of 1/64 ply. The top wing sits on a pylon glued to the cabin and held by a rubber band. The wings can be removed together as a unit. The 300mah cell has to be placed near the nose to gain the correct CG near the LE of the lower wing. I think that the struts are a little too short as there is less dihedral in the upper wing. I've tried to compensate for this by cutting the airelon sections on both wings and bending the Depron up to create some washout.

The weather around Melbourne has been poor for model flying lately but a few tentative flights in the breeze have been promising though sometimes exciting! The Bicessna does fly, however, and does so in a more gentle manner than the original.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Nice work! - I look forward to hearing how it flies when you get a real chance to try it out..
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
Brilliant!!
I don't know what guts I'll put in mine, but I know for sure NOT what came in the box!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
Austin TEXAS area
Joined Apr 2008
328 Posts
My first nataku was modded to resemble a FW190D. I just retired what was left of it after nearly 1 year of regular flying. I really enjoyed this airframe. I'm ordering another which I believe I'll mod to resemble an erocoupe. I'll post as I go once it is underway.pops57
pops57 is offline Find More Posts by pops57
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:17 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
Brilliant!!
I don't know what guts I'll put in mine, but I know for sure NOT what came in the box!
LOL, you got that right! I used a Vapor rx in mine and flew it as a 3 channel. This airframe will fly slow if its light enough.

Hobby King Cessna DSM2 3 channel (2 min 25 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly