Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:44 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,451 Posts
Discussion
A-10 Warthog ARF

A-10 Warthog ARF

40" wingspan, 36" long, 258 sq. in. wing area, 36 oz. flying weight. Includes two 75mm ducted fans with two outrunner brushless motors and two 18-amp controllers. Power is supplied by a 3-cell 2200 mAh Lipo battery that is easily accessed under the removable canopy. Construction is all pre-painted and decorated injection-molded foam. The wing is removable and reinforced with a carbon rod.

The two fan units are fairly large (75mm diameter) and produce strong thrust at a moderate speed and low amp draw. The wide stance of the tricycle landing gear gives the A-10 great ground handling for taxiing and take-off and superior control in landing. Assembly is quick; the wing halves need to be glued together, motor nacelles glued to the fuselage (fans and motors are pre-installed). Motors must be plugged into the speed controls and the direction of rotation checked, there is no soldering required.

All servos are pre-installed and all control surfaces are pre-hinged. Charge the 3-cell lithium battery with the included balance charger. Charge is done through the balance plug on the battery and each individual cell is charged independently to reach 4.2V.

Flying the A-10 is where the fun really starts. The steering is precise and not overly sensitive giving you great control on the take-off. Once in the air the climb is strong and the control is smooth and quick. Big loops, fast or slow rolls, inverted flight are all easily done. Flight times are from 6-8 minutes. Landings are best accomplished with a small amount of throttle for a smooth approach.

For more information and to watch the video click HERE

Use this thread to discuss any and all things related to A-10 Warthog ARF
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:22 PM
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
servos

how many servos are needed? is it E,R,A and motor control? any idea when the A10 will be available?
tks larry
w0pya is offline Find More Posts by w0pya
Old Oct 05, 2009, 02:04 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,451 Posts
Well, none. It comes with them. It has 4 servos. Two for Ailerons, one for elevator, and one for the nose wheel steering. We might have them by the end of the month.

Thanks,
Jason Cole
Hobby Lobby
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:04 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Instead of offering up yet another ho-hum ~40-inch A-10, I think you folks should find out who makes that 50-inch A-10 that Banana Hobby is about to come out with, and see if you can't requisition a boatload of those airframes. There is a lot of pent-up demand for a larger foamy A-10. It will be a shame if a place like Banana is the only place that will be offering it.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:47 AM
To me, every day is Saturday
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
subscribing
fall666 is offline Find More Posts by fall666
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:59 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Mar 2007
45 Posts
Ordered new HL A-10

I ordered one of these A-10 Warthogs without any history based on hobby lobby's reputation and prior experience with them. Flying other single engine EDF models. Hopefully this is a well build bird. Looking forward to hobby lobby carrying individual parts vs. the airframe only for $150 so if/when I crash there are options. Will respond with feedback and start a post on foam edf if happy with this new model.
HB Addict is offline Find More Posts by HB Addict
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
Crash? I NEVER crash.

Pterodactyl crash (1 min 26 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWMNLk25jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKJgcXCqo0

gb
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:34 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Mar 2007
45 Posts
Got Mine

Maidened my HL A-10 today. Will start thread in foam EDF to discuss.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 09:57 PM
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
HB Addict, might you provide a link?

Posts #23 and #25 are some of my A-10 observations: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post13516593

gb
Old Nov 08, 2009, 12:01 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Mar 2007
45 Posts
Thanks for the link fall666. I didn't find that one before when searching for HL A-10 information. Removing the nose gear on this model would require cutting so it would be permanent. Good idea regarding use of the servo rod securing bands, could save a lot of money if it prevents a crash. Also good input on wire routing. Will keep discussing on the foamy EDF thread to help others.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,252 Posts
Just to add to this thread...I think this is a GREAT EDF. It's slow....don't get me wrong...but it looks VERY nice.

I just wrecked mine REAL BAD (hit a street sign on approach) and I've already ordered a replacement airframe because I fell in love it.

Great Job HL!
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:08 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Mar 2007
45 Posts
Know the feeling when they go down djmoose. I've hit stuff like street signs on approach but like you just recover and go on. I ordered an airframe today with HL crash sale as have lost orientation a couple of times. See foamy section for more info. on this RC feedback. Best of luck and skill
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:39 PM
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
Bungee launching

Some have wondered about the possibility of bungee launching Hobby Lobby's A-10. Well, it works fine and is easy to do. Approximately 3X the plane's AUW is plenty of pull. There is no need to overdo the pull. My launcher was made of pirated parts from a high start. Do not scrimp on the ring used to hook onto the plane especially if you are launching a heavier acft and putting more pull on the bungee. If the launch apparatus collapses, not only could you damage or destroy a plane but also you could get injured. A climber's rappelling ring makes an excellent, strong, light ring. My DX7 was programmed so that when the GEAR switch is in the down position, 10% up elevator pops up for launch. When a positive rate of climb is established, the GEAR switch is moved up and the elevator drops to its cruise setting.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...tem/111808/N/0

114th Aero Squadron 12/21/09 Hobby Lobby's A-10 Bungee Launch (4 min 18 sec)

gb
Last edited by fall666; Dec 21, 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
More bungee

114th Aero Squadron 10/21/10 Hobby Lobby's A-10 Bungee Launch (1 min 42 sec)

gb