HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Hi, the airspeed sensor uses I2C protocol (sorry for the jargon) so a traditional USB-serial adapter would not work.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Airspeed Sensor

Hey,
This is my first time using serial data transmission and the I2C protocol and I am having a hard time figuring out what to do exactly. If anyone would be willing to give me some help selecting the microcontroller to use, and help with the coding and setup it would be extremely appreciated. I am very new to all of this.

Thank you!
bsmy is offline Find More Posts by bsmy
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
541 Posts
Hi, im using the G-sensor with an arduino. And i got messed up results because of a forgotten Wire.endTransmission();
I did find the error and everything working now.

------------

#include <Wire.h>

// addr a8 / 54

// analog 5 = SCL = Brown
// analog 4 = SDA = Yellow

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("device 0x54"); delay(2000);

Wire.begin();
}

byte dataarr[6];

void loop()
{
int data;
read_sensor();

data = 256 * dataarr[1] + dataarr[0];
Serial.print(data);
Serial.print(" ");
data = 256 * dataarr[3] + dataarr[2];
Serial.print(data);
Serial.print(" ");
data = 256 * dataarr[5] + dataarr[4];
Serial.print(data);
Serial.println(" ");
delay(100);
}

int read_sensor()
{
int i;

Wire.beginTransmission(0x54);
Wire.write(0x07);
Wire.endTransmission();

Wire.beginTransmission(0x54);
Wire.requestFrom(0x54,6);

for (i=0;i<6;i++)
{
if (Wire.available())
{
dataarr[i] = Wire.read();
}
}
Wire.endTransmission();
}
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Last edited by Cesco; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: problem solved
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
I am also using an Arduino board with an airspeed sensor. I just wanted to make sure that to wire it up properly SDA and SCL go to Analog pins 4 and 5, and the 5v and ground pins go to the 5v and GND pins on the section next to the analog on the board right?

Also, did you use external pull up resistors or activate the internal pull up resistors inside the arduino board?

Thanks!

-bsmy
Last edited by bsmy; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:27 AM
50 Km south of PARIS (France)
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Hi Bill
I already have equiped my glider (Discuss 2C 5m span) vith the FDR, seagull transmiter, GPS, OSD Pro and cam. Recently I purchase your Elogger V4 with LCD display power pane and micro Gforce 38. My question is very simple: where can I connect the GForce micro sensor? It seems that f connected to the FDR Gforce slot that no signal is recorded . I also have the gardian extension sensor. Can we set a maximum G force that the system can use (more specificly for the RTH function)
Frenchy Tomcat is offline Find More Posts by Frenchy Tomcat
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
I got my airspeed sensor working with the arduino thanks to your help! (Cesco your code was very helpful thank you, i get 3 numbers output. The first is the airspeed while the second two are unchanging. What are these last two numbers representing?)

Now I need to ideally get multiple airspeed sensors to work together on my board, but they all have the same serial address so how can I distinguish on from another? Does anyone know anything I could do to solve this issue?

Thank you!
bsmy
Last edited by bsmy; Jan 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
How about the Thermocouple Expander w/CHT probe?

What i2c address is specified for this expander?
Thanks.
fhausman is offline Find More Posts by fhausman
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
"reactivating" this thread.......
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:30 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,083 Posts
Thank you billpa you saw my message in other thread, now I'm writing the question here:

I'm working on a project now. Nothing fancy, just trying to access EagleTree Altimeter V4 with an Arduino. After I tried different I2C libraries(accessing methods) finally I found one that seems to work.
I started to receive values from Altimeter.

Now I know that my altitude ASL is somewhere between 64m/210feet - 70m/229feet. However altimeter is returning ~2970decimeters ... -3000/10 = -3meters.

Question: can it be because the tests were made indoor at a higher temperature than outdoor? Or should I search the problem in the code?

Hope today to repeat the tests outdoor to see the difference.

thank you
schumixmd
schumixmd is offline Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Hi, your local baro pressure can vary a lot from day to day, by a considerable amount. Also, we have not done much testing of the sensor in terms of how accurate it is with absolute alt, since it's normally used to display relative altitude changes.

If the sensor is showing correct response to vertical, I think it's working correctly.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,083 Posts
Hi billpa.
thanks for your answer.
yes, more or less the altitude is accurate in terms of changing and in terms of altitude ASL. more test were done.

Any chance accessing not only the altitude but also raw data? (pressure and temp)

thank you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Hi, glad it is working for you!

Re returning the raw data, unfortunately the changes to the sensor's firmware would be pretty significant, so I don't think we'd do that unless we get a lot of requests. Sorry!
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
59 Posts
Schumi:

I realize it's not an ET V4 alti...but you might consider the BMP085 breakout from sparkfun...

It's also I2C so you should have no difficulty communicating with it with your arduino. You get pressure & temp on every call. The downside is that you have to run the results through a bunch of math every time.
Teej is offline Find More Posts by Teej
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,083 Posts
Hello teej:

the reason I'm not with BMP085 is that I have already 2 OSDPro Sets with Altimeter and Arduino. Why to buy additional sensors? The project is kind of variometer for hanggliding (I started to learn).
I also like the ETv4 because it provide already calculated Altitude, good for saving some time and memory on arduino, but it is not good if I'll decide to implement an altimeter+vario to see my altitude also.

thank you anyway for your suggestion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
Hello teej:

the reason I'm not with BMP085 is that I have already 2 OSDPro Sets with Altimeter and Arduino. Why to buy additional sensors?
Because like Bill said...unless they get flooded with similar requests, you're not going to get the data you want from the V4.

Sounds like a fun project though! I've done a fair bit of skydiving, but never took up hang gliding. Had a few friends/coworkers who were into it.
Teej is offline Find More Posts by Teej