HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1 Posts
Discussion
What paint should I use to paint my balsa Nobler airplane?

After 30plus years I am back at flying airplanes again. I just purchased a Nobler kit to build and fly; however, since I have been out of this for so long, can someone tell me what kind of paint I should be using and secondly, what are the web sites where I can purchase them via the internet?
seascape2 is offline Find More Posts by seascape2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,545 Posts
30 years ago, I was on a hiatus from our hobby. I'm not sure what methods were used, or what products were available. This makes me unsure of what you are familiar with.

Today, the fastest way to finish your Nobler would be to cover your model with a film, such as Monokote or Ultra Coat.

If you are aware of these products, and still want to paint, you can cover your model with Solartex and then paint it withh numerous products.

This assumes that the Nobler has some open framework, such as is typically done with wings.

If the Nobler is completely sheeted, then glassing may be preferable, then painting.

Let me know what you have, and I can offer some specific recomendations and techniques.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,545 Posts
Here are pics of models, finished in the techniques mentioned above, ie covering in film, painting/Solartex, and glass/paint.

They may help you to make a decision, if you are unfamiliar with them.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 01, 2009, 05:14 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
582 Posts
i am entering the painting stages of my pattern plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6819340/tm.htm

i glassed the plane with .75 oz cloth and minwax polycrylic. more work than monocote but with the polycrylic being waterbased it's not really that bad.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:26 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,151 Posts
I still like silk and dope finishes for older planes.
You can buy silk very reasonable at Dharma trading.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3374-AA.shtml
I like the HS 536 silk.

Sig still makes dope and it is usually available at hobby shops as well as on line.

Here's a couple that are older designs with silk and dope .
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1