Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:15 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
New Product
higher current 3A BAC units - PREORDER

No longer being produced due to component cost explosion.

Quote:
The existing 1A BAC units have been exceptionally popular with a lot of people and now there's a pressing need to bring the facilities to those needing more power.
The feature list of these units will immediately be inclusive of;

* Switchable low voltage alarm for lipo or A123
* External on/off/charge port
* Lost model alarm
* Voltage level readout (via LED)
* Dual battery pack input with auto levelling.

Essentially if you look at the features of the PLD-BAC-ESJ-LMA and move it up to a 3A ability, you'll be able to envisage to a degree of what is being planned.

Regards,
Paul.

PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Last edited by PLD; May 13, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:36 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
Paul, just one thing with the lost model alarm. Most people are using radios that have either a failsafe or a hold last command setup in the event of lost tx signal. Would it be possible to have the lost model alarm be set to monitor a spare channel that can be programmed to go either high or low in the event of signal loss? I mention this as I have spent some time recently tramping through swamps looking for fellow modellers downed aircraft. LMA would have been soooo.. handy then!
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:49 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
BM,

Currently the LMA portion of the BAC units detects signal loss (permanent low) and short pulse (eg, below 1300uS).

One situation where this setup fails is when the RX is a DSP unit without failsafe (uses the hold-last-known-pulse) and goes out of range, in which case the LMA facility cannot be triggered, however if you approach the area of the model you should be able to get close enough to trigger the LMA eventually.

Paul
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:03 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
yep.. that's cool Paul...

mate... this could be the do-it-all switch assembly.

Last question... possible to link the LMA audio to the low voltage alarm?

Also, you were right with JD's response... just a blanket 'all devices between battery and rx are possible sources of failure'. I must admit to being a bit dissapointed with that. Thought he might have been a bit more open-minded on the subject.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:16 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
BM,

Alas, that's generally the way things are these days. It's not unique, that's for sure. It comes down a lot to liability issues. It's already hard enough keeping your own ones managed let alone getting tangled up with another vendor's gear, implied or otherwise. The sad voice of experience there

Perhaps best to kill the thread (or just let it die off) and we'll bring people into this one so at least there's a more positive atmosphere here

One thing I was thinking of doing slightly differently on the larger BAC's is to have a detachable alarm/piezo so that people can pick/choose the loudness/size they want to use (also cost).

Paul.

Paul.
Last edited by PLD; Sep 27, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:08 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
The new board is looking to be quite a bit larger than the 1A units, though there's a LOT more features too.

It's currently at 1.75 x 1.00" (BAC-004 is 0.75 x 0.5").

The new 3A linear however includes the option for an off-board audiable alarm, it also supports dual pack input with failover incase of a collapsed pack and separate charge ports for each pack.

I'm also looking to see if I can cram in an optional remote voltage/current sensor.

Paul.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:10 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Also forgot to mention it does have the lost-model-alarm of course, along with voltage blink readout and the electronic-switchjack facility (though it'll be in the form of an on-off switch, since the charge ports are separate).

Paul
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:42 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
The PCB for the 3A linear regulator has been submitted into prototype development, will take about 2 weeks to arrive. The size is 1.5 x 1.0", that includes the area required for the 4 mounting holes.

I've not worked out the heatsink yet for the regulator but there's a few options I'm exploring at the moment.

Paul.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:35 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
cool... ta for keeping us updated Paul...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:02 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Still waiting on the new PCBs to arrive... :twiddles fingers:
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:22 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
it's a virtue paul
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:46 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Well, I thought they had arrived today, there was a nice sized envelope stuffed in the letterbox, alas it was just more of the actual regulator components I'll be using.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:11 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Well -apparently- the PCBs finally got out of HongKong today... so _MAYBE_ I'll get them before the end of the week, though no promises on that. I am rather dissapointed with the delivery time for this batch
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:25 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
PCBs finally arrived

Weellllll welllllll wellllllllll, the finally turned up today.

To celebrate, here's a picture.... smaller than I sort of had visualised in my head, though I suppose that's what happens when you work on the PCB design on a 24" LCD.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:44 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
cool... you had many expressions of interest in this project yet Paul?