SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:58 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Build Log
Eastern Airline Profile Kellett staying with I.C.

Hey Dave, and guys,
I have started on my Kellett profile. I build fairly quick once I finally get started, so I hope to have more pics for you soon. I'm not doing a build log as much as just showing some progress pics along the way. If I do anything drastically different than the plan I'll show that too.

Dave I hope you don't mind; but your Kellett profile is so popular and there are so many of them, I had to make mine a little different. I changed the "PROFILE" of your profile just slightly enough to pull of a sport scale KD-1 Eastern Airlines scheme. Dave I'll do my best to make you proud! This is going to be my Aerobatic try anything gyro since they build so quickly. As always, any input welcome.
Best Regards guys,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Last edited by Boneswamped; Aug 26, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Go speedy! Go!

Hi Mike,

I like the profile Kellett a lot, flys great too, your interpretetion looks very good, I guess you've flown it already and I see the video tonight?
Very nice lines and colour scheme, I know you'll make a good job of her, Cheers,

Regards Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:55 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
It would seem that I under estimated the number of 1/16th balsa sheets I would need, and have as a consequence, run out. I'm not bitter. Looks like I'll be making another trip to the Hobby shop when I can. I'm also looking for a gearbox to use other than the Master Airscrew. I have to order a few bits of hardware for the build. Some of the hardware I forgot, and some the Hobby shop just didn't have on hand. I am happy there's balsa dust in the air again, it's been a while since I've built anything.
-Mike
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:24 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Very nice work Mike

You will like the way this gyro handles ..I like the KD-1 fully enclosed canopy......all that side area ...Knife edge capable perhaps When I built my Kellett I added 2 carbon rods up the mast and into the fuselage which greatly increased the mast strength, I know Andy beefed up his back end with thin ply around the tailplane mount as it is prone to tail strikes. Looks like you will be ok as you have a bit of area above yours.

Nice work..Mr Surace will be a very proud man me thinks!!

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:42 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the input, I'm having fun with the build. I've never tried to knife edge an Autogyro before, but I'll give it a shot with this one. I'm looking forward to getting this project finished. I wish I could get way up North to fly with Dave, or across the pond to fly with you and Andy.
Regards,
Mike
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:08 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Take a ride north man!!!! We could rip up the sky with gyro flutter! Damn that would be so much fun. Just like when Joe visited me....I could not fly gyros at that club. Two week later, I changed their minds. All my clubs allow them now.....I can fly anytime at my newest club as I was officially voted in. Totally lagit now!

Mike....drop some CF rods or at least one FC tube in there. It will make a huge difference if you bump here around.

You have done what I have always wanted to do with the Easter Airlines theme. Nice job man!!! So happy you are building the Profile!!! LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Hey.....nice looking blades.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:33 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the blades Dave, if you keep practicing you could probably get good enough to make a set like these. (Obviously, Dave did in fact make the blades for me) I'm sitting here with free time to build, but I'm at work stopage due to material shortages. Hobby shop closed on Sunday.(Insert crying emoticon here). I''ve finished the aircraft in my head at least four times today. Thanks for a simple to build and well thought out design Dave! The videos you've been making are helpful.
Best Regards,
-Mike
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:44 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I got more videos I will edit tonight and post. I will start the side planks tonight I think. Been a bad pain day with naps and heat. I will get going after dinner I hope........

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Did you do the yellow glue and CA edge fastening thing I do?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Not yet Dave, I'm not that far along because of material shortage. I am not going to stray from your methods since they're cleary proven. Any changes I have planned are only visual for now.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Lay your first piece at an angle on the fuse. Draw lines where the edges are. Remove the sheet and apply the yellow glue between the lines. just a moderate thickness needed.

**When you apply the glue.....dont spread it too close to the edges. The edges will be set by the CA.**

Once all the sheet planks are done for that side...apply weight via....what ever you got....bricks,batteries, books. Anything heavy and put it on the profile. The Yellow Glue will then spread out evenly towards the CA'd edges.

Got it? I should have done a video on that...but only have 2 hands.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
199 Posts
Mike,

Can't wait to see it finished. I love that Easter Airlines scheme. Looking forward to some pics and vid.

Mike
Aero-Smith is offline Find More Posts by Aero-Smith
Old Oct 03, 2009, 06:38 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Landing gear modification

Hey Gang,
I hate to do it, but I simply MUST deviate from the plans for my landing gear. I'm not saying the plan isn't up to snuff by any means. I'm just looking to the future of this gyro. I intend to try all the crazy stuff with this machine I don't want to try with the others. That being said, one could safely assume there will be some crashes in it's future. The only problem I have with the plans gear is that if I bump her, and there is fusalage damage, I have to remake the gear because it is permanently installed. I have fabbed up an UC that is removable, and has the added bonus of being slightly scale in appearance. I don't think Dave will mind since I'm not proving his design by any stretch of the imagination; it is already a proven design being flown around the globe. I just need to personalize mine a bit.

Other devations to the plan will include some slight changes to the fuel tank mounting(because I couldn't resist changing the UC ), and a slight change to the way the horizontal stabilizer is installed(because I couldn't resist changing the profile of the tail ) I'll do my best to make you proud Dave!

PICS of my attempt to follow soon. In the mean time; the picture posted is what I'm aiming for.

Best Regards,
-Mike
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:00 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Hey!!! I am always open minded for modifications man! You have a great sense of mechanincal style and modifications from you are always welcome! Not only that....it is "your" model....right? That is half the fun of our hobby is to customize our models to our liking.

Go for it man!!! Show me what you got bro!!!

Dave
Closed Thread