SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Gallery
NEW ENGLAND AEROTOW 2009 - Picture & Comment Thread -- post your photos here!

It was suggested at the field that we start a photo thread. Great idea. Only problem is that I was running around all day (and I got some flights in!) so I don't have much.

I hope as folks arrive home tomorrow evening and over the coming days, you'll add some shots here.

Realizing we filled the parking lot and the overflow area, during lunch I tried to get a count on all the PEOPLE in the pits and in the spectator gallery -- I hit 85 and absolutely missed a few! While it may be a stretch to say 100 people attended, it isn't far off!! Twice we had 9 planes in the air at one time and the launch line never got deeper than 5-6 waiting.

Thanks everyone for making day one a resounding success! Please post your photographs, thoughts, suggestions and whatever else.

Let's hear it one last time for the sponors:
- West Mountain Radio: http://www.westmountainradio.com/RCintro.htm
- Vintage Sailplaner: http://www.vintagesailplaner.com/
- JR Radios: http://www.jrradios.com/
- Fly RC Magazine: http://www.flyrc.com/
- Little Soaring Fleet: www.LittleSoaringFleet.com
- ICARE Sailplanes: www.icare-rc.com

SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Sep 26, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:20 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
Many thanks to the host club and support folks that made it all possible!
rfk is offline Find More Posts by rfk
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:33 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Hello and thank you to Steve and all others who helped out today. This event would never have ran so smooth and never have had such a great turn-out if not for Steve Pasierb and his lovely wife, who ran the registration and a whole lot more.

There were many folks who stopped in just to watch, and left wanting to get a glider and participate.

Its a lot of work putting these together and to be rewarded with this day we had today was great. Rob Larson handled all the towing duties and I helped out with a few pulls here and there. We calculated, based on fuel used, we did between 120-127 tows today. The Pilatus did a majority of the work , but the Pegusus stepped up when she was needed.
Also, the quality of pilots there today was nothing short of astounding. There were only 2 mishaps the whole day. One was a real small glider that has a ground loop on take-off and the other was a pilot who lost orientation of his sailplane and lost it deep in the woods.
There were no aborted takeoffs other than the one listed above and only a few off field landing. To all those who have never been on tow and did it today, congratulations, we could not tell by watching. Mid day spawned a bunch of boomer thermals that some said were the best of the year. In the end, we all had a fun time and made some new friends, after all, isn't that what its all about anyway? Sorry I have no photos, I never got a chance to get the camera out.

LEN
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:42 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Let's hear it for the tugs!

Hat's off to Rob Larson. He did such a good job all day, that there are lots of pictures of the planes, but none of him! BIG HIGH TOWS!

It made a huge difference to have a dedicated tow pilot. The Pilatus and the Pegaus got all the work. The Super Schlepper never made it out of the trailer.
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:08 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Sunday's photo's

Not as many people as Saturday.

Thanks to all who came. See you at the next event.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
415 Posts
What a great event !!

Many thanks all who made the New England Aerotow possible.

It was spectacular to bring the new DG-600 out (even thought I was a bit bleary eyed !) and even better to fly it for my first aerotows (many thanks to the towplane pilots that made that possible). A sincere thank you to so many that helped me pull the DG-600 together this past week.

Also thanks to Jim Ealy of Vintage Sailplaner. I will enjoy the Woodstock very much and hope to have it ready for the Aerotow next year if not sooner.

Here are a couple pictures from yesterday.
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Last edited by rcmorrow; Sep 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:10 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Hi Len,

You guys did a great job! All the pilots were great guys and pilots.I was hopeing the weather forcasters were wrong for today. I'd like to get some practice with the tug for next years event and give Rob a break during the day.

Next time you have the event we should call the local TV station to cover it. This was probably the best publicity oppurtunity for the club we have ever had. Quiet, safe, great support and turn out. Seeing six large sailplanes in the air at the same time was a treat!
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:16 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
rcmorrow,

The photo of the Schweizer shows the perfect sailplane position in tow, no worry of the sailplane pulling the tail of the towplane down causing the wing to stall.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Thanks to all involed with this event... it was worth the 6 hours on interstate highways.

I only took a couple pics, but here are two of one of Len's Fleet (at least he appeared to be the pilot)

Thanks again .... Details forthcoming on the 2nd Susquehanna Aerotow and Soaring Event....

Dave
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
Just returned home after a 5 hour drive (well Charlie drove) and sure wish I could have been flying instead. Unfortunately today dawned rainy and quite dreary, but on the plus side Saturday was the best day I had of flying all year! My Cherokee was in the air for five flights and I could not have had a better time

Yesterday started slow for me, I was holding off till the air got warmer and the thermals started booming. My first flight was my all time longest with the Cherokee and I am sure there was a smile on my face from ear to ear. The rest of the day was just as good with pockets of thermal all around the field.

Now I need to congratulate Len, Steve & his wife, as well as Rob for providing another East coast venue for Aerotowing. These folks along with the hosting club, the R/C Propbusters did an excellent job organizing and running a top class event. In a very short time they planned, organized, and ran the event without a hitch.

Lens enthusiasm for the sport needs to be applauded, his first Aerotow event was earlier this year and he dove in deep! Myself and the "Delaware gang" all appreciate your efforts.
Steve did a great job as CD and organizer, as well as his wife who handled the registrations and did not quit even when it started out with her having to make change for everyone (especially Charlie and his "C" note).
Rob was the perfect tow pilot, great tows, great communication with the glider pilots and handled the tugs with great finesse!

I did get a chance to take some pictures and I will post later tonight along with some video I shot.

Again,
Many thanks and I look forward to next years event!

Tony
cooper998 is online now Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
First group of pictures

Enjoy!

Tony
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:22 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Hey Tony, nice pictures. It sure is fun to see the photos everyone took. Steve an I were talking about it today and realized the Del group was almost 1/3 of the total registration.
Well done and we appreciate it.
Those thermals on Saturday were just amazing, the best they have been there all year, I'm glad you all could be there to enjoy them.
Today we got into some bigger thermals. One of the flights I had was almost an hour. It would have been longer but the race was on and I had to turn off the flight simulator.

len

LEN
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1
Hey Tony, nice pictures. It sure is fun to see the photos everyone took. Steve an I were talking about it today and realized the Del group was almost 1/3 of the total registration.
Those thermals on Saturday were just amazing, the best they have been there all year, I'm glad you all could be there to enjoy them.
Today we got into some bigger thermals. One of the flights I had was almost an hour. It would have been longer but the race was on and I had to turn off the flight simulator.

len

LEN
You almost had me convinced the weather changed and I started feeling bad we left this morning until the last sentence when I spit out my beer I laughed so hard

As you well know we "aerotow types" are a different breed, we will travel where we need to in order to help spread the word. Two or three more events here in the northeast and we should be all set. Looking forward to next year in Connecticut, you ARE going to do it again aren't you?

Tony
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1

len

LEN
Well the SKSS Themals are all packed away

We are all glad that you New England boy's enjoyed them, The bill is in the mail

I was told to hold onto them and break them out sometime in October

Great event Guys!!
Next year I vote for a Thursday thru Sunday!!

See you sometime in October

Then next year In Lancaster

Jr Aerotow

Then 3rd week in August is the East Coast SKSS Aerotow

See Ya soon

Charlie
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve