HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Question
Royal Honda VFR - How to tell if it's the bike or the handheld control?

Iíve got an old Royal Honda VFR bike and control unit. Itís been on the shelf for many years. Trying to run I get no response from the bike. Iíve replaced the batteries in the control unit and the batteries on the bike seem functional. I actually tested the NiMH pack for the bike by using it to power a portable AM/FM radio. However, the bike does nothing when the control unit and bike are turned on and I use the controls to either attempt run the rear wheel drive motor or ďsteerĒ the unit which would shift the battery.

Is there an easy way to tell if the control unit is transmitting a signal to the bike?

Iím trying to determine where to start and have no clue whether itís the bike or the control unit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
RJCAU is offline Find More Posts by RJCAU
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:39 PM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
The bike battery may have enough power to run the radio, but not enough for the bike. Start with a known good battery on the bike. The bike battery may not have survived if it hasn't been charged in years.

Does the transmitter have a 'power on' led light, or a volt meter? Are the battery contacts clean?

mp-
mp- is offline Find More Posts by mp-
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:35 AM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Bought a new battery, same results. When bike is turned on battery tray "homes", so it seems like some power is getting to the bike, but no reaction at all to the control unit.

Red power light does come on on the control unit, contacts are clean.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:23 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCAU
Bought a new battery, same results. When bike is turned on battery tray "homes", so it seems like some power is getting to the bike, but no reaction at all to the control unit.

Red power light does come on on the control unit, contacts are clean.

this may seem like a simple question... but did you make sure that both the bike and the controller have transmitter and receiver crystals in them and that they match....?

and do you have other electronics that you might be able to put into the bike so you can try another radio?
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Oct 01, 2009, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
I bought the bike and the controller together new as a set in the early 90's and both worked fine with each other when they were put on the shelf 10-12 years ago.

I did take the controller apart last night just to see if there we're any broken wires and/or loose connections, but didnít find anything obvious. So Iíll probably take the bike apart next.

Unfortunately I don't have any other RC devices or electronics to try. I was thinking about buying a set of replacement crystals to put in both the controller and the bike.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:35 PM
EspaŮa, CL, Ńvila
Joined Sep 2008
566 Posts
Iīll check antenna solder joint on bikeīs main board, and if antenna has been accidentally cut....

Other ideas: Try to find anybody with same crystals on his radio...

Ask him to turn on the transmiter and turn on your bike...Any response/glitching?

Or turn on your tx and his car, and check if you can get any response from its car...

Be warned to do this with any of the vehicles off the ground!!!

I remember that Royal bike had a fully proportional radio so this may work..
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,840 Posts
I had one of these bikes, locked up the swinging battery tray and changed it to direct steering went really well and looked good, I would think your old cells are toast!!
steve bisco is online now Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
EspaŮa, CL, Ńvila
Joined Sep 2008
566 Posts
Did you finally solve the radio issue?

I have found this at the "lab", and I thought you maybe interested...

27.095 MHz

20.00US$, shipping extra.

trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2