HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:53 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
After all this intensive discussion /testing , can't we make the definitive statement that we just REALLY Love the KF airfoil and that it works Very Well on ALL our Foamies ... !!!
I mean like "written in stone"...
With the Volumes of endorsements , myself included, one would think this would be a Standard for model plane construction ... Foamies , in the very least !!! Not to mention paper gliders , which was where it all started...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:07 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
After all this intensive discussion /testing , can't we make the definitive statement that we just REALLY Love the KF airfoil and that it works Very Well on ALL our Foamies ... !!!
I mean like "written in stone"...
With the Volumes of endorsements , myself included, one would think this would be a Standard for model plane construction ... Foamies , in the very least !!! Not to mention paper gliders , which was where it all started...
I'm wid you!!!
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
You gots it, gpw. Other than fast park jets or other specialty planes I can't imagine building a general sport flyer without the use of some version of a KF involved. It's just too simple, too effective.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
But, But, But What will we talk about if we don't have the endless discussion of pros and cons of the ubiquitous KFM? I guess we could do the pros and cons of blucor versus readiboard.......
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Vagrant! I use O-C Pink, of course. As would any self-respecting FFF scratch builder.

At last! A new Holy War to propagate!
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
Ha!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:09 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Ha!
Ha! You are all blind as bats. I have conclusively shown the superiority of the White-Bread "El Cheapo" large-cell foam in my builds. It's infinitely better than your fancy shmancy designer crap foams!!!

There are non so blind as those who will not see....
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jun 26, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:01 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
Ha again! seriously, Steve, I'm continually amazed at the great planes you come up with from what we won't even bother to touch over here! Funperbuck - use what ya got!

And to comment on hijacking the thread: Foamy scratchbuilders - having fun all over the globe!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:18 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
But, But, But What will we talk about if we don't have the endless discussion of pros and cons of the ubiquitous KFM? I guess we could do the pros and cons of blucor versus readiboard.......
Which Blucore are you talking about? Everyone knows the old stuff with the skin on both sides is the best. Forget that girly pink stuff and that heavy, brittle green stuff. Old blucore only! Oh, old king blucore, live forever! Oh yeah, and everyone knows the old stuff makes the best KFM airfoils.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Having used practically every foam I could get my hands on over the last 40 years to build model planes , I have to say , I like Blucor the best !!!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
982 Posts
Depron powa....
Cid156 is online now Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:07 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
All comes down to "use what ya' got !!!! ... and having Fun !!! hahahaha
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Ive been experimenting with my Darts COG ..my normal very safe location is at 35% of the wing chord back from the nose..so I marked up to the 40% spot and was moving my battery in stages getting the COG back..

I got back to 38% but without adding some more depron and velcro etc..physicaly I cant go back any more..

At 38% the model is still perfectly safe, inverted is reasonable, yes inverted, needs just a slight down touch to hold the nose level...My thoughts are that I can go back some more, but probaby I wont bother.. The glide is good, the roll is good etc....

Ultra slow flight at very high alpha..here ive noticed the ailerons do give adverse yaw...but you are really suposed to be stearing with rudder when you do the high alpha game... with any speed the ailerons work fine and I cant see any yaw..

All in all its going great, manouvers can be very tight , hovers, harriers all good (well as good as I can do em)..rolls near axial, loops tight, bank and yank very fast..

Its a good cheap easy build park flier that will handle a fair bit of wind..It is almost a different model to the lightweight darts, much the same as my heavy Nutballs relationship to the small light versions...

video...
dart-xs 28-6-10.AVI (6 min 21 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jun 29, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
982 Posts
So I tried Kfm airfloils on my mini tiger (personnal design).
I started this hobby a year ago and I am not retired ;D. So I have not enough experience to see a big improvement.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdv...er-depron_tech

It is hard to see a difference on the video but I feel that the minimal speed is lower with the kfm airfoils and the plane is quieter
Cid156 is online now Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
A little Piece of Kline-Fogleman History

OK - so it's not much, but it did pique my interest. This very short article came out of a 1997 Sport Aviation magazine. There's only enough information to tease the brain a little
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt