HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 01:14 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,860 Posts
heres where the ME163 funjet is now.. its going great.. nice and quiet, smooth and predictable , it doesn't seem to have any problems at all
Now with wheels.. its a super model only let down by my flying abilities.
ME163 profile propjet funjet (6 min 44 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 26, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Long time away

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post

The new sloper is on the go its a combo of a 3mm main layer and a load of 2mm steps..
Hello again to all who have been around long enough to remember me.
I see the KF is still evolving.GREAT!
A special 'shout out' to Dickeroo;
you must be proud to see your baby still growing. CC: thanks for the get well wishes when i was in hospital. Onward and Upward!!

I love this wing with the multiple steps. This was the direction I was going back about oh...4-5 years ago.
Also like the molded LE. I am convinced the future of the KF is some form of hybrid.
Any thoughts on the better use of the step? On top or bottom of a conventional airfoil?
I wonder if a bottom step might be more advantageous in such an application. I'm talking slow fly-glide type application.

missed you all
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:39 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
Announcing Skite XL

Yes, Dave very curious to know about the performance of your wing.
Anyway, here comes Skite XL! It's a 60" WS wing with same building techniques as earlier skite wings. 780 sq in with ~4.5oz/sq ft wing loading. Putting together is straightforward and balanced out pretty easily with 225W motor and 2200 LiPo.
Used my Samsung S3 to capture maiden and could not go better than this. With CG around 23% threw her with full throttle and she just took off. No trim needed! I do have ~1/8" reflex though. Glide is pretty good as well. During landing notice super sensitive elevator just before touch down, didn't expect her to flare up that much! Although looks like air frame is not as rigid as smaller skite versions. Need more CF

Skite XL Maiden (2 min 56 sec)

Check out this video of the 2nd flight. Resisted up elevator during landing and that resulted in super smooth touch down. Pretty awesome!

Skite XL - Second Flight (2 min 24 sec)
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon
Last edited by elewon; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:06 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Nice stable wing which should make a good aerial video platform
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:57 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,919 Posts
Nice one! Have you fine tuned the CG yet? You can get rid of that reflex (and the drag from it) and make it respond to elevator in a more balanced way with a small weight shift.

Is that Dollar Tree Readiboard and a KFm4 in three layers of it?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
Thanks guys!
Yes, she is really stable and flys nice and slow with full control.
Jack, so far flown just twice and haven't had a chance to tune the CG yet - it's one of the next steps.
The material is Readiboard with same KFm3 airfoil as the other skite wings - steps at 25% and 50%. However, she does need lot more CF.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:42 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon View Post
Thanks guys!
Yes, she is really stable and flys nice and slow with full control.
Jack, so far flown just twice and haven't had a chance to tune the CG yet - it's one of the next steps.
The material is Readiboard with same KFm3 airfoil as the other skite wings - steps at 25% and 50%. However, she does need lot more CF.
I think if you get beyond the 30" that Readiboard allows, you can layer up the foam with staggered joints, maybe laying some 1/8" dowels or CF tubes in as you do that, and once it is all full contact glued with a good PU like Gorilla Quick, using water to get it to foam up, you'll have enough strength in that wing.

ApachePilot and I had something like that figured out for his 48" Divinity II and I think it worked well. The point was that were no joints in any of the layers that were lined up with the joints in the layers above or below them.

Jack
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I think if you get beyond the 30" that Readiboard allows, you can layer up the foam with staggered joints, maybe laying some 1/8" dowels or CF tubes in as you do that, and once it is all full contact glued with a good PU like Gorilla Quick, using water to get it to foam up, you'll have enough strength in that wing.

ApachePilot and I had something like that figured out for his 48" Divinity II and I think it worked well. The point was that were no joints in any of the layers that were lined up with the joints in the layers above or below them.

Jack
That's what I did on my 48" and 36" KFm-4Ward. Works a treat.

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik View Post
I see the KF is still evolving.GREAT!
A special 'shout out' to Dickeroo;
you must be proud to see your baby still growing. CC: thanks for the get well wishes when i was in hospital. Onward and Upward!!

I love this wing with the multiple steps. This was the direction I was going back about oh...4-5 years ago.
Also like the molded LE. I am convinced the future of the KF is some form of hybrid.
Any thoughts on the better use of the step? On top or bottom of a conventional airfoil?
I wonder if a bottom step might be more advantageous in such an application. I'm talking slow fly-glide type application.

missed you all
jp
JP.Electrick....

Welcome back to the RC Groups Scratch Built Forum. Lots of people contributing great ideas and fantastic planes here. Hope you are over your physical problems and can join in the fun.

~ Dick
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:05 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post

Jack
Over lap layers with quarter inch dowels has worked well for me. Skin it with tape or lam film and it is quite strong.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
I added a couple CF tubes and with that flex reduced a lot. Need flight testing now to see how it holds up.
Thanks all for the information on reducing flex. Will keep this in mind for future.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:52 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik View Post
I see the KF is still evolving.GREAT!..<snip>...
Welcome back! I just to go back back and refresh my memory, I thought I remembered you but was not sure.

You're on page #1 of this thread and were also posting regularly on the old **Kline-Fogleman Airfoiled Flying Wing**.

But it is good to hear you are feeling better and getting back to the hobby.

Cheers,

Jack
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,860 Posts
My tiny V EPP wing is proving itself to be more versatile than I expected.. and with the layers re-laminated with uhu por its all back together just fine
Thursday I was flying it inside a hall, where it took all the bashes and crashes in its stride.. it just bounces so well.. I forgot it doesn't have rudders... lol... duh! so I whacked the wall and other stuff more than a couple of times at full speed.. It will cruise round nice and easy, but open it up and its a real speedy little thing.. Hand catching is another easy game..

Sunday it was outside in very strong winds, 17mph+.. normally I wouldn't like to fly but it was the club day.. Knowing how durable the wing is , up it went and it had no problems, at half power it just hovered there, but at full power it has plenty of speed and it penetrated as well as any of the bigger V wings that were flying that day...

For such a cheap model, I can make two for £10, its great

I have only one problem on it, the roll is a bit slow, so that's my next job..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 30, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
New in the game
Nederland, ZH, Capelle aan den IJssel
Joined Feb 2011
126 Posts
Alula-Eva

Hi all,

My name is Remko and i live in The Netherlands.

I made a Alula-Eva ( named after my little girl ) from the drawings of `Dave Reap´
I made my alula motorised because i´m not familiar with slope soaring and i dont want
to climb up the hill all the time, but fly the plane back to the top when i make any mistakes..

I think Dave likes my Alula-Eva, because he told me to make a post in this KF
building thread, and show my plane to you guy´s and girls..

Right at the start of this built i actually made a huge mistake by cutting my Depron pieces
from 6mm sheets instead off 3mm sheets, somehow i missed that detail.

But i did find this out when i already had the wing cut out and glued togetter.
So i sticked with it and hoped for the best..

One other thing i did different from the orriginal plans are the wingtips.

My Alula-Eva has a wingspan of 1160mm, and i use 1000mm x 1000mm Depron scheets, but i like
to cut my wings in one piece. So i had to glue on 80mm on both sides of the wing, and i decided
to make my wingtips like they are now.. ( i think it looks nice ) i´m not sure if it has a big influence
on the flight characteristics of this plane, but i thought it would not be a problem to do so.

I did not use a spar to stiffen up the wing, instead i used a string of glass-tape between all layers, and on
the bottom and the top of the wing i used transparent self adhesive book cover.

I used the same transparent self adhesive book cover on the rudder that is in fact detachable

I also made a different rudder that is in my oppinion more landing friendly.

The custom fuselage i made the first time came out to short, so the Alula-Eva was verry tail heavy and
i had to make a longer one instead.. it also gave a better fit for the large Lipo-battery.

The setup of this Alula-Eva is..

Motor: D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv
ESC: Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC
Servo´s: HK15178 Analog Servo 10g / 1.4kg / 0.09s
Lipo: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

The Alula-Eva has a weight of 317 grams without the lipo and with the lipo around 500 grams.
At first i had the idea to fly with a 2s 800mah, but this is really to light to fly with a little bit of wind and
will only work with no wind conditions or indoor.
3s 1300mah works also ok, but 3s 2200mah works best for me so far...

Here is a littla video of the Alula-Eva in action..

Alula-Eva (3 min 55 sec)

For the ones who like to know... Here is the origional Alula-Clone thread.
Remko is offline Find More Posts by Remko
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Remko...

Bravo!

That is a very nice Aluha-Eva you have built. The flights look nice and true to the line of flight. I'm so glad that Dave had you post here. He is a Master of Multiple Steps. I see that you can turn your plane into a boomerang where it always comes back to you.

Great job!

~ Dick
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo