HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:13 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying for about a month, and I've gotten bored with it.
When you get bored, take all the bits out and build another plane. It's only foam! and there must be a million possible configurations, before you start on uncharted territory.

You're absolutely right about the CoG, Jack. - trim for straight and level, then land and look at the control panels... what could be simpler than that???

Of course, it's true that, before that knee trembling maiden flight, you're sure to be hoping that you will be able to trim for straight and level without going outside the range of what's possible. You need an approximation before you can start. That's when you need a trusted CoG calculator, like this one..

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:31 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
497 Posts
Glue Idea

I got this link from another thread. It looks pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=rnOegaOKu38#!

The stuff is called Glidden Gripper
pcaffeldt is online now Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:26 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,992 Posts
That was the winner? Sort of odd that when you google it the only hits are for a acrylic paint primer.

The test was for gluing styrofoam, most of us are not using that. FFF is an extruded polystyrene foam. For that foam and for me, polyurethane glues that foam when water is present have the best penetration and give the best bond. Epoxy and hot glues have some uses with it but generally don't penetrate at all...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:48 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
I got this link from another thread. It looks pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=rnOegaOKu38#!

The stuff is called Glidden Gripper
I need to look for it and get a price. For KFm wings with a lot of laminating a cheaper glue would be a better choice.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Last edited by Raften; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:21 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,541 Posts
For starting C/G I use 25-30% depending on the type of plane and type of wing. However, there are wing shapes out there that are particularly forgiving of C/G; the trapezoid of the Smart Dart XS and its descendents is the best one available. Combine that with the stall-eliminating characteristics of the KFm2 and you've got a sure-fire winner of a trainer plane. I've built a number of trainer planes along those lines and they've all been successful.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
The test was for gluing styrofoam, most of us are not using that. FFF is an extruded polystyrene foam.
The foam in the video is also XPS. It looks like the Owens Corning stuff from Home Depot and such places.
I never would have thought of using a primer as an adhesive, though I've used WBPU and "Polycrylic" for doping. Looks like it would only be good for laminating, and wouldn't give the same stiffness as foaming polyurethane glues, though would sand easier. HobbyKing sells a foam glue(I think is PU based) that is a contact adhesive, that sticks like crazy!

Jeff
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:39 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I looked in two stores but haven't found G Grip yet.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:14 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
We are being protected by our government, R...
Not available in CA and OR...
U might try Reno.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:21 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Thanks rc, I feel so safe.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:32 PM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
The Glidden website shows it available through Home Depot, at least for the couple of zip codes I tried.
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Are you looking for G Grip? or Glidden Gripper. I checked 2 different Home Depot's inventory online in Northern Cali, one in Sacramento and the other in Yuba City, both of which showed available stock.

Here's what Yuba City shows:
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:03 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Are you looking for G Grip? or Glidden Gripper. I checked 2 different Home Depot's inventory online in Northern Cali, one in Sacramento and the other in Yuba City, both of which showed available stock.

Here's what Yuba City shows:
I was just saving a few key strokes. I did not check online, just in person. Didn't find anyone who had heard of it.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:21 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
I was just saving a few key strokes. I did not check online, just in person. Didn't find anyone who had heard of it.
Do you mind saying where you checked specifically. Some people might get the idea that you can't get the stuff anywhere in the Golden State. Especially after Rust Case's comment about the govt., and also because of y'all's restrictions that don't exist in the rest of the world.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:43 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
I DID go to the home Depot website and checked on the exact name mentioned in the vid... Glidden Gripper... and put in my CA zippy code to check my local outlet...

Found the item and it said Not available in CA & OR...

and the only reason I mentioned that to raften is because he couldn't find it, and his address showed Norcal...

don't have much control over what people might think.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
The RCFoamFighters Bullet Plane with KFm2 hits 136.1 mph.

1600watt EPP Bullet Plane Speed Clock and Crash (6 min 28 sec)
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo