HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
505 Posts
That is smooth flying, Andy. Now you can start having fun with the radius.

For the Martin Baker, I adapted the drawing you showed and enlarged it to 68 cm wingspan. It has a box fuselage 45mm wide at front and a simple kfm 2 with the step at 50 %. Will try to make a plan soon. I made it for Semff style combat and fun pylon racing.
Thomas
Thomas B. is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Rocket glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
Andy....From the safe glide it looks like your COG is near correct.
It was a much nicer flight than before.. nose dropping in turns can be reduced with more vertical area at the front.. overdo that area and the nose will climb..
But its going much better now...

Ive maidened the KFm4 Mako, and it was a real treat.. only a few clicks of aileron trim were needed to keep the wings level...
Take off from my sports field was a bit reluctant...but it got going and then was fine.. I think my taped floats give it a bit too much drag, on the damp grass, so I am thinking of solutions to increase the slip ..

The first video was the trimming flight.. mostly a lot of figure eights, showing how nicely it tracks .. Its a real smooth flier... half power is enough and plenty for a good speed cruise, full power doesn't make it a lot faster but does improve the vertical..

I will give this model a high recomendation... If you haven't already made one, give it a go, either exactly as the plan or with the addition of a Kfm4 section...its a keeper...

video1 trimming and easy flying
Mako KFm4 trimming flight (8 min 47 sec)

second flight.
Mako KFm4 flight2 (6 min 6 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Thanks Thomas, she is much better behaved than before. I might swap the motor for a spare HK Funfighter motor as it's heavier and can take 4S
Dave, your comment about lack of frontal area causing dropping in the turns makes sense especially as I likened the trait to what I have experienced with EDF models which tend to have long fuses and rear mounted wings. Do you think adding a little profile canopy just behind the spoon scoop would help?
I like your new build. I bet you are looking forward to frosty mornings or waterlogged grass to help with the take off. I wonder if some of this "TEFLON Coated Non Stick Large Baking Oven Sheet Mat" stuck to the floats would help? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEFLON-Coa...item53efb1b03a
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,629 Posts
Well done Andy and Dave..

A perfect day all over England today. I was flying my Vampire and my Comet. I've been trying to restore my Mosquito - a true De Havilland man, me.

The trouble with planes that need a mown strip is that, on a beautiful Sunday like today, there seem to be just too many planes in the air. I like to be able to fly in rough fields with my dog so I don't have to worry about crashing into a gas powered ARTF every second.

Still, a great day today, for which I have to do a few extra home fixes and "honey-doos" in return.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Yeah, that's 2 weekends in a row so we must be due a wet and windy weekend soon. My depron clone of the Axion Laser Arrow is coming along. Main wing, fins and KFm-4 sections cut and sanded. Upper fuse cut with tabs & slots cut in the wing.
I sometimes cut and build as I go along but this time I'm making a kit of parts. I'll see how it all goes together and in this way I won't do something stupid like stick a carbon spar in the wrong place e.g. right through the lipo compartment. I plan to mount the servos in the step and hide the leads under the KFm top panel. I'll decide on the shape of the lower fuse once I've decided where the esc needs to go as I hope to sight this under the wing to give me a nice open lipo area in the upper fuse. I'll post some pictures when I've made more progress and I'll be asking the experts for advice re c of g. Here the shape of the model and the KFm-4 step will be at 50% at the centre and swept back to 50% at the tips
Andy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
I wonder if some of this "TEFLON Coated Non Stick Large Baking Oven Sheet Mat" stuck to the floats would help? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEFLON-Coa...item53efb1b03a
Andy

how do you stick a non stick material....lol.... there must be a way....and Ive been thinking along the same lines... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2306882479...84.m1438.l2649
here are two for£5 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1509447974...84.m1423.l2649

From the Mako thread comes the idea of using the non stick cooking sprays that are available..
they have been used on the polaris to sort the same problem
Last edited by davereap; Nov 18, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:28 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Dave
I had a look around at other products offered by that Ebay vendor you found and saw this silicon tube that might be suitable for prop savers rings. Ordered the minimum quantity so we will see
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308716072...84.m1497.l2649
Andy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Dave
I had a look around at other products offered by that Ebay vendor you found and saw this silicon tube that might be suitable for prop savers rings. Ordered the minimum quantity so we will see
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308716072...84.m1497.l2649
Andy
The "gold standard" for prop saver bands is the Thera-Band blue tubing. If you want some sample bands send you mailing address to me at "jacker at midmaine dot com" and I'll drop a few samples in the mail to you. It will be interesting to hear how that material you bought compares to the Thera- Band. Full story here on Thera-Band:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419378

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
I concur with Jack's assessment of the blue Thera-Band as being the best I've tried so far. He was kind enough to send me some samples that I could compare to the latex tubing stuff from the hardware store. No comparison. The latex will do for a bit, but the Thera-Band is far superior in longevity and UV resistance.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Thanks guys for the info on Thera-Band. I used to have a free supply of silicon tube from out of date liquid soap refills which worked really well. This has dried up so looking for an alternative and this Ebay product looks to be a similar spec.
Andy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
For adding slip, I have gone with a very cheap furniture polish, sainsburys £0.38p, that says on the tin .. not to use on floors or bath surfaces because it is slippery

edit...now at 2 coats of polish the result is very good....I sprayed into a cloth ..then put on a thick coating...let dry..then buffed up..
The surface has now got more slip than uncovered depron, and vastly better slip than the untreated tape...
Tape on its own has more drag than uncovered depron..
Last edited by davereap; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Heh. I always treat my rubber bands, O-rings, and latex/silicone bands with Breakfree these days. Breakfree is what the US military uses to lubricate and protect small arms. It doesn't attack rubber, latex, or silicone, and keeps the stuff pliable and UV resistant.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
505 Posts
KFM Boomerang

Inspired by Rick`s autogyro idea, I made a boomerang with KF 2 wings. It works very well, rotates nicely and is very forgiving on improper throwing.
So I think an autogyro rotor should work with a kf or kfm2 airfoil, too.
Thomas B. is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Rocket glider
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
Thank you, Thomas.

I am so pleased that you applied the stepped airfoil concept to a boomerang and that the results seemed positive. Hopefully, this is another area for possible use.

~ Dick
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,629 Posts
Wow! That's a brainwave!

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud