HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Fabulous videos Thomas and Dickeroo!

Dave I agree with all that about the Radius and the gyro, and on top of that,
Quote:
but I am still waiting for it to stop raining...
I've just arrived back in England from California - I see what you mean. Just to make us all feel worse, here's the video I shot at the beach on the morning before dismantling the plane and heading to the airport. Paradise as you can see. And almost deserted because of the breeze and because it was about 9.30am. Temp was 80F / 26C, roughly.

Radius at the Beach again (3 min 37 sec)
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Last edited by nickchud; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,147 Posts
Nice video Nick. Talk about how to make everybody in the UK green with envy
She does a nice imitation of a kite. Just add a streamer and you could really confuse fellow park users.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
scratchbuilder
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
604 Posts
Great hovering and what a beautiful flying site, Nick! I love this video.
Thomas B. is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
The only problem on beaches is getting sand in the engine when landing nose in.
.And the sudden impact on props does them no good...I was breaking almost one every other flight when flying my rc kite off the beach
Very nice video however..good flight and super location
Here its still a bog on the field and it doesnt look like it will dry out any time soon..
So Ive been trying to come up with a landing solution for my models that dont have large wheels and a sealed fuz..and remembered in the old days an unintentional goal landing into a net.. so now I am looking for some net that I can string between a couple of poles stuck into the soft wet ground outside
This solution would also do for a beach location..perhaps a section of badminton or volley ball net would be ok..

another alternative and a new project perhaps is one like this
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Oct 20, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,992 Posts
A volleyball net would probably be about right. Does your football goal not have a soft net? I know you've proven that the frame on it is a problem.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Hi Nick. Really interested in your Short EZ. Any more info or pix?

I tried to put a pylon mounted motor onto a plane somewhat like this (although without the canard) and the moment caused by having the thrust line above the wing line just drove the nose into the ground. Gave the motor more and more downthrust and could not solve the problem. (After about 20 degrees of downthrust, probably did not have enough forward thrust left to fly!).

SOOOO....

How far above the wing IS your motor?
Motor size and prop size?
Any down thrust?

Is the canard wing critical to keep the nose up?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

THANKS!
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
A volleyball net would probably be about right. Does your football goal not have a soft net? I know you've proven that the frame on it is a problem.

Jack
no there isnt a net...just this frame that jumps out now and again...lol
anything decent left in the park gets vandalised by the usuall young morons we all suffer with
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,541 Posts
Nick, you little bugger! Didja really hafta go and show us an image of that beautiful Vampire with its nose stuck in the turf?!? I wanted to keep the image of that plane flying smoothly through the ether firmly planted in my forebrain. Now I have the image of death and destruction in its place. Shame on you!

Okay, now fix it and get it back up there again. Need a replacement pic.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
...and remembered in the old days an unintentional goal landing into a net.. so now I am looking for some net that I can string between a couple of poles stuck into the soft wet ground outside
Actually, early US military UAVs were catapult launched and net recovered. I remember seeing slo-mo video of one of these turkeys coming into the recovery net just a little off to one side and splattering the wing all over the pole of the recovery net. Oy.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
scratchbuilder
Joined Mar 2012
604 Posts
Kfm 4 efficiency

Put my brothers GPS logger in the radius 275 today. Top speed was 180 kph.
I think this is pretty much on 350 watts power and proofs the aerodynamical quality of Kfm 4. Prop was a modified aeronaut 7x7 and battery 1800 mah 3s.

Then I changed to a 6x6 prop and 800 mah battery, which reduces weight from 400 to 300g. Still fast enough, but much better slow flight and much tighter turns.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
scratchbuilder
Joined Mar 2012
604 Posts
Dave, here is one for wet flying fields. It is my interpretation of the capricorn theme:
Flugboot (1 min 34 sec)

60 cm, Kfm 2, very stable flyer.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Geek!

Never fear.. Here is the latest video of the Vampire, as she now is..
VampireSuccess (3 min 39 sec)

She started out as a KFm4 foamie but there is no foam in there anymore and nothing KF about it either, so definitely off-topic. You could go to the build thread, starting with KFm4 Depron and moving on through several trials and tribulations. The key to the whole thing was in getting the CoG right.

Steve: the Short EZ is a Depron KFm2. She rises off water, snow, rough terrain and, more importantly, lands nicely too. Thrust line is 3" above the wing with an incidence of -2 deg. The prop is 285mm (approx 11 1/4") behind the CoG. Motor is 1800kv with two 5" x 5" props on one spinner. Battery is usually 1800MaH 3S1P.
Here are some tricks she can do..
shortEZ_stalls (3 min 46 sec)

If you're interested in canards, this is the thread to go to.. We usually set the canard to an incidence of +2deg and go to the canard CoG calculator to get the CoG right. I don't have experience with all-moving canards - don't like them. I prefer to use a control panel of 30% or 40% of the canard chord. Some people like elevons in addition to the canard elevator. I am happy to use just ailerons on the main wing and elevator on the canard.

Have fun! I'd be very pleased to help if required.

Last edited by nickchud; Oct 20, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Thomas!!!!

What!!! 180kph with the 275!! phew! that's amazing. How did you see it?

Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
scratchbuilder
Joined Mar 2012
604 Posts
The bright yellow - red scheme definitely helps.
I like the short - ez!