HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,762 Posts
my preference for any aerobat is always KFm4.. but you have seen KFm2 working well on those sweet flying combat planes and you cant fault those videos..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Hi Headless, I would agree, but will probably go for KF2 as I only have one sheet of Depron left and its 6mm. Hi Dave, trying to read up as much as I can about KF airfoils as they seem very helpful to our foamies. Cheers
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:46 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,762 Posts
this is where I get my depron http://www.depron.co.uk/ .... cheapest is a box at a time but they will do mixed sheet orders
Delivery is fast...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Thanks Dave, now that is what I call a good price. Last winter it cost me 20 just to cover an ic model. Looked at Depron profile jets and got hooked. Cheers
Slightly out of thread, but next build will be your 800mm Vulcan (got to fly the flag). Can you recommend suitable motor and prop please to fly scale speed if possible, As a newbie to foam and electrics, not quite with it yet. Thanks
Last edited by Fly Boy3; Oct 03, 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: extra text
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:36 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,762 Posts
The simple vulcan needs 3mm depron to keep it light and slow.. Built light weight a blue wonder will do the job...
once you go to 6mm it adds weight and then needs a bigger motor and gets too fast. for scale flying..
If you go KF it likewise gets a bit heavy and fast..

It was one of my pre KF builds...

For an aerobatic kfM4 delta look at my superfly clones .. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977954
or leadfeather's KFm1 firefly.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10807978
Last edited by davereap; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:46 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
this is where I get my depron http://www.depron.co.uk/ .... cheapest is a box at a time but they will do mixed sheet orders
Delivery is fast...
Hi Dave

Have you ever tried this stuff, its cheap!

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore...0m2-2575-p.asp
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
If that stuff behaves like depron, ima order some. Neon orange FTW
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Hi Dave. I really do like the Superfly especially the 38" (better for my old Eyes) .I would like to build without u/c due to our field conditions. Would I need some thing on the underside to enable a hand launch, or is the wing rigid enough to hold and launch that way. Also at what throttle position should be used for safe launch.Sorry for all the questions Dave ,I'm still on a learning curve. Cheers
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy3 View Post
Hi Dave. I really do like the Superfly especially the 38" (better for my old Eyes) .I would like to build without u/c due to our field conditions. Would I need some thing on the underside to enable a hand launch, or is the wing rigid enough to hold and launch that way. Also at what throttle position should be used for safe launch.Sorry for all the questions Dave ,I'm still on a learning curve. Cheers
Did you ever toss a Frisbee? If so, you can launch a flying wing!

I hold the right leading edge about midway in my right hand, wind up my arm and torso to the left, and do a smooth, level, shoulder high Frisbee toss directly into the wind. And it works every time. I usually use low throttle, maybe 1/4 to 1/3rd and ti will just fly straight away.

Very safe too.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Here is my flock of small ( 40 -88 cm ) and lightweight ( 205 - 255g ) Kfm2 birds. They all fly very well, even in heavy winds.
I am thinking about building the radius ( the small yellow one ) in a slightly bigger ( 60 cm ) Kfm 4 version for speed flying. The Kfm 2 needs a bit of down trim at high speeds, I guess the Kfm4 will not need that because of producing less lift !?
Thomas B. is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Rocket glider
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,762 Posts
With its 3 layer KFm4 and the balsa spars at the steps, the 38" wing is strong and stiff enough to launch like jack above has said..For belly landings a spline can be added below the wing, and taped over.. to take any landing abrasions..
I left the spline off the big one so I could add the wheels, since my field is nicely flat and mown regularly
You can use the spline to hand launch, but always with power off.. or you risk slicing your fingers...
A side arm launch is easiest and best every time, launching with power on..I tend to launch at a 30 degrees + up angle which gives me more time to get it sorted.. full power gives a vertical climb so the up angle is not going to result in it slowing and dropping.. half power is enough on the launch..
The smaller of the clones at 24" is always side arm launched

The only problem launching the big one like that is because of is its size, being heavy, you will have to grip it harder on the wing, and depron will easily dent under the finger tips pressure.. and the dents will eventually show up...a posible solution is a very thin ply layer skin just where you intend to grip...however thats purely cosmetic..

A nice flock of bird types ...I do like the small yellow , just how small is it?...and the swift type...... a KFm4 is more neutral in flight than the KFm2, but dont forget when adding an extra layer, the extra thickness may slow the model down just a touch.. but when going faster, 2x thinner 3mm outer layers will work just as well.. and of course a nice high reving motor

XPS... if its stiff enough it should be good... B&Q used to sell 2" thick orange colored XPS blocks but they were a B** to hot wire cut...
XPS I believe stands for extruded polystyrene... and Depron is a just brand name for an extruded polystyrene
I see they also do a blue premiere grade at 5 a sheet.. 5 is too expensive but the other grade might be ok, and its more of a similar price to depron UK...it would be nice to get a sample to look at...
Last edited by davereap; Oct 05, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Thanks Jackerbes, frisby type launch looks good. A bit of practice should do the trick. For Dave, I also like the no throttle launch too. Safety first is my motto, I've seen what damage a prop can do, and I don't like it. Cheers
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:29 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Nice collection, Thomas!
What is the larger one?

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Hi Jim,
it is a new bat prototype, 84cm span and around 230 g with 2s lipo, M dihedral like the pterodactyl. Lighter wing loading and less power than the other ones, it is designed for small field flying.
It needs some further adjusting and finishing, but flies already well - made three flights in heavy wind conditions.
Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
503 Posts
Hi Dave,
the small yellow one is the "radius". It has 40 cm wingspan. Very fast and responsive.
Radius Mini Racer (5 min 19 sec)

I like your idea of two 3mm steps on top and bottom instead of the 6mm step on top.

The swift type is the mauersegler with 68cm span.
plans:
http://modell-aviator.de/modelle/dow...n-mauersegler/
Thomas
RCG Plus Member