Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
634 Posts
I guess now we'll always wonder if the birds are real that we see around the highways
maurice076 is online now Find More Posts by maurice076
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:12 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,790 Posts
Thomas B.:

Thank you for the plans. I have been waiting for this one. It flies very well.

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
That is lovely flying plane, Dave. Looks like the power is just right from the prop hanging/climbing performance. Is that on the emax 2220/10 as seen there?

Someone is bound to ask, that plane has a thread here:

Regal Bipe - w/KF Wings - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787585

Jack
no its a 75gm 1450kv motor from giant shark...only 10.17
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh3536-...-p-403279.html
The 2220/10 should be much the same....
my first flights were with a 2215/20 which I thought should have been ok, but this didnt match the plane at all and the model flew very poorly..
Going to the bigger prop setup, with more power and thrust, really transformed the model...

The KFm2 makes the regal float along, as there is lots of lift from those wings... But I was thinking it may be improved by having a kfm2 on the top wing and a KFm1 on the bottom wing... will I try that? unlikely as its good just as it is...

kfm2 pterosaur ... another good flyer from Thomas... I just love those more unusual shaped models..It looks like a candidate for a sloper as well, perhaps with a better gliding section...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 07, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:17 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
Jim,
the Mauersegler flies well on 2s 1300kv 8x4,3 prop or similar - docile and nice;
it is quite hot on 3s 2300kv 4,7x4,7 prop.
Anything between will work fine.
Cheers Thomas, I'll be going 1300 3/2s and 8x4.3. 3s for some vertical!
I have the parts cut out and a removable fuse in place. So i just need to decide on the spar. Is it strong enough with kfm2 alone or does it need the spar? (either carbon or bamboo)

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
I say... Wind anyone?

Here's a KFm2 delta flying in some pretty stiff wind...

RC WD40 WING FPV 20+WIND (26 min 25 sec)
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,695 Posts
Interesting flight for sure.

I guess power systems are a matter of taste...

That is a 40" FPV platform with a 2200 Kv motor and a 6.5 x 5 prop if I have the power system details right. That makes it about an 18,000 RPM system with a pitch speed of about 94 MPH. And that probably translates to a over the ground speed in the 60 to 70 MPH range.

Yikes!

The winds there were probably pushing 25-30 MPH and he was able to control it well. I guess it is a testimonial to his skills.

Jack (a self-admitted old geezer)
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Cheers Thomas, I'll be going 1300 3/2s and 8x4.3. 3s for some vertical!
I have the parts cut out and a removable fuse in place. So i just need to decide on the spar. Is it strong enough with kfm2 alone or does it need the spar? (either carbon or bamboo)

Jim
Hi Jim,
I would recommend to build the Mauersegler with a spar if you want to do some aerobatics. I use 4x1mm carbon, simply glued vertically behind the step. My brother used 5x5mm wood; I never used bamboo but I guess it will work fine, too.
Best wishes
Thomas
Thomas B. is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B.; Sep 07, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,695 Posts
Not sure if the intent there is to put that CF spar in the corner formed by the step of not. But it is generally not a good idea to do anything there that changes the step from a clean, square, right angle corner. When things like that were tried in the past they reduced the effectiveness of the step as far as generating the vortex and making the KF miracle happen.

If you cut, route, or use a soldering iron to make a shallow groove in the bottom layer of foam a little ways in front of the step you can lay the CF spar in there. Use the foaming PU glue to fill around the spar and bond the step down on top of it. That will bond the spar and the two layers together and it will be as strong as it can get.

Jack
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
505 Posts
I agree that the step should stay sharp. But we put the 4x1 mm carbon spar vertically behind the step so the step just moves 1mm backwards, 5 mm if 5x5 wooden spar is used. Nevertheless, I like your method.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Rocket glider
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Ok swift (or mauersegler!) is done, ready for test flight.
Thanks Thomas
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
505 Posts
Good luck, Jim!
Launch at 2/3 throttle (3s) 20 - 30 upwards. No up trim on the elevons.
Let me know how it works.
Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Rocket glider
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
I agree that the step should stay sharp. But we put the 4x1 mm carbon spar vertically behind the step so the step just moves 1mm backwards, 5 mm if 5x5 wooden spar is used. Nevertheless, I like your method.
OK, that would work fine with a rectangular or square spar then, I saw the round spar (tube? rod?) in the photo and though maybe the intent was to position it there.

But the embedded spars work well, the key seems to be to use the PU glues so that the foaming action get the layers and spar all well joined. Many materials have worked for that, CF, wood, bamboo skewers, etc.

Jack
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Well, I have a new project for the KF as of this afternoon. After chasing my Coci down the hillside a half dozen times I decided to ashcan the original wing and build something less draggy. Since a bunch of you slope soaring jokers have had such good success with the KF on slopers I guess I'll try one on this Coci. Nothing could be as bad as the original foam core, built up wing, which is now in the recycle bin.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:42 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,803 Posts
Is This your COCI.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029766
that should have sloped ok..so your lift must have been poor

However try a KFm9 or 11... they are good gliding wings...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:51 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Well, "it should have" and "it sucked out loud" are two very different things. I got sick of dragging that turd back up the hill all afternoon long when the poor performance resulted in a plane that couldn't climb its way back up a really nicely shaped slope despite 20-30KmH winds. I tried all kindsa weight and such, and the plane just wouldn't penetrate worth spit.

Heck, I even tried out my MS Composit Swift II combat wing out there today with a fresh nose repair and squared edges. It performed better than that crappy Coci, so what does that tell you?

Anyway, I can whip some wings together to see if that plane will work at all. If not then I just strip it and ashcan it with the wing. Heh.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek