SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:11 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Nice videos steve... you in your shorts and sunshine whilst I an indoors watching my car gradually get buried under the snow... its ******* cold outside... and flying is definitely not on for today...
Next job... make some of Vikings skis
You know, there are civilized places in this world where one can visit snow, much like and old and dowdy aunt, without having to actually live with it.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:59 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
I am a native son of California. The only trouble with California is that they let anybody in. That remained so until 2001 when I became a Mainer.

And I now know that there are civilized places in this world where one can eagerly away snow's yearly visit. And like an old and dowdy aunt with candy in her pockets and coins in her purse, it's arrival will bring some joys of it's own.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:18 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
I too spent 51 years in California.......... The San Fernando Valley is not what I would call 'civilized' for the reasons Jack stated. They not only let anyone in, but everyone..... So crowded that finding a place to fly becomes a tactical mission.

I used to drive 5-6 hours to visit that aunt... I mean snow.... Now it comes to me! Unlike Southern California I can drive just a few blocks and have acres of open land, lakes and ponds for float flying, 3-4 indoor flying venues (3 days a week), and one indoor venue that is available 7 days a week you just have to show up and pay $5.00 for 2 hours! And this is the largest City in NE.

There is good and bad everywhere but I don't miss the crowds, congestion, and all that stress that comes with it.

Besides the sun is out today, wind below 7 mph, and its 37 degrees F. Going to an indoor arena today anyway to fly with a great group of 'old timers' that have a couple of those 'aunts' living in their homes........ Wait, maybe I do too...
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:26 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
"..The San Fernando Valley is not what I would call 'civilized'..."

Hey! Another Valley boy! My Dad's ancestral home was in North Hollywood and I last lived there in the late 50's.

When I retired from the Navy in 1990 I had been settled in Sonoma for four years and I just stayed there. And that was a still civilized area as I left. But the politics and long term economics of being a Californian were a concern so I "took the money and ran."

No regrets!

Jack
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:22 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
"..The San Fernando Valley is not what I would call 'civilized'..."

Hey! Another Valley boy! My Dad's ancestral home was in North Hollywood and I last lived there in the late 50's.

When I retired from the Navy in 1990 I had been settled in Sonoma for four years and I just stayed there. And that was a still civilized area as I left. But the politics and long term economics of being a Californian were a concern so I "took the money and ran."

No regrets!

Jack
In 1954 we moved to San Jose, CA from Stockport, near Manchester. It was much more "normal" back then. Was in Houston from 66 through 82 then moved with my kids back to SJ and it was weird. After the kids were grown and i retired early I moved here. I got out like Jack did. I love the country and the climate but not the PC & far left politics.
Ahhhhhh,,,,, The lovely land of fruits and nuts! Which I apparently traded for: "The lovely land of tropical-fruits and coconuts!

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:51 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Gentilemen,

Since I started this, let me suggest that cities are not to everyone's tastes, and leave it at that.

What I meant by civilized was not where I live, but where I visit the snow. It looks like this. My parents have a B&B in Yosemite. Hot tub, 20 minutes from a ski resort, and some of the best food I've had anywhere. Oh, and lots of family, and wine. My step-father also has excellent taste in whisky.

See what I mean? Civilized.

Now, can we get back to KF wings?
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:25 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
I much prefer the sun shine..but you take what you get..
here is my KFm4 Nutball flying from the snow using some floats.
KFm4 Nutball with floats off snow.AVI (3 min 33 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:39 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
If you guys keep driving this thread into the ditch with politics, regional snobbery, etc., I'm going to invoke Godwin's Law and blast this thread into oblivion! Now, behave yourselves!

Oh, and anybody with good KFm4 park jet data please post some more, willya?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:47 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
Tape a step on one of these:

http://www.wimp.com/mphplane/

Jack
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Jack,

Insane! Not a KFm4 I take it, or foam! Something to shoot for, but EDF's and KFm'**', out of foam are obtained every day now thanks to all the ground work and experimenting that has been going on. Don't think you could relax for about 1 hour after flying that thing. Way cool and thanks for sharing.

Fred
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:36 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
Someone sent that to me as an interesting link, so I know nothing more than you can see there. And there is not much info there for sure.

I think a turbine powered plane with a mission something along the lines of the A-10 may work with a KFm wing because it accomplishes most of it's mission at lower air speeds. But I don't think any of the small turbines that are being used in RC are of the "turbofan" type and that is what is really needed if you want a jet that will fly slower with good power.

Jack
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:30 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Jack,

Check out this link in the Micro EDF Forum. It is an A-7 Corsair that Nitro Charged designed with a KFm2 airfoil. A more conventional wing planform over the delta wings that we know perform so well with KFm airfoils.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241275

With a custom wound EDF 30mm, it's small, but performs great. The KFm airfoil has a minimal step as it is only foam stacked, with a carbon spar behind the top step. I guess that at such a small scale, and that this is a jet, the step height being minimal helps with all round speed and performance. This is no slow flyer BTW. There is a couple videos to see the speed range too.

Fred
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:20 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
That's a nice build, for sure. And a beautiful flier too. I just do not get excited about scale or scale-like builds and like things that fly best with slow fly props.

I don't think Geezerville Aerodrome is ever going to have hanger space for anything that flies that fast or that is that much work to build.

My fondest memories of A7's (and F-8's and A-4's) are from watching them from vulture's row as they were prepped and launched from USS Hancock (CVA-19) during the Viet-Nam War.

Jack
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
thats a lovely little jet... Ive linked that at post131 on the KF builds thread... dont forget to put any other KF builds you find over there as well... dave
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1122108&page=9
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:28 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
kfm2 wing maiden

Hello kfm peeps.

I flew my 33" blue baby today with a new kfm2 that I posted some pics on and asked some questions about.

It went well. Biggest change overall was trying a small 3s 1100mah hyperion battery. Keeping the 27-12-12 blue wonder in place with the 10amp esc. I went for the large prop listed 9x4.7sf gws, and put a 90%limit on trl in case I forgot.

What a difference. Climbed with authority, still needed up ele trim, weight I'm guessing. And would maintain level at about 5/8 trl as compared to 2s power needing 7/8ths. But the report on the wing so far is very good. See pics. It has dual ails so I started with .375 up and .125 down. Ail response was slow, but predictable, and biggest of all not much if any adverse yaw on turns without rudder input.

The other big difference is end plates. Probly added lift and stability, but, I think they inhibit roll. It would not roll with modest ail limits. I increased and best I could get was 1 rev of roll for 3 to 4 seconds...(careful to have alt. first.) The kf3 that i tried last week did not have endplates and rolled relatively quickly. the kfm3 was 32" and this kfm2 is 36" I suppose that could have effect on roll rate maybe, not sure. I'm open for suggestions on increasing roll. I think I will try to trim end plates down a little. They are 1.25 tall by the time they reach T.E. both top and bottom.

After trying for several batteries to make the 2s work, I justcouldnt get it to cooperate. Needed rudder, difficult to climb and maintain. I guess I have to save them for when the UC wing goes back on.

The last flight with the 3s was a joy, hard s turns, hammerheads, figure 8 turns, large radius cuban 8s and pretty nice immelmans. I even tried a little inverted flight...None of these manuvers were clean or proper aerobatic form, still working on that. Tough for a new guy in the wind, but the point is, the plane will do it.!

Still working on ail diff settings, but I am looking forward to trying new things with the flexibility of a programable radio.

Can someone give a brief definition and use of flaperons? And what does the basic formula look like when programing this mix.? I guess I could search it.

Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to like flying this one when the wind finally dies down next week.

Pat.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20