HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:27 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,007 Posts
The swastika is actually the Buddhist symbol facing the opposite way. What does that tell you? It's the opposite of the symbol of pacifist religion.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:26 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Here is a pretty good link on the swastika's more than 3000 year history.
http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swa...ikahistory.htm

Which logically leads to this question...

"Does anyone believe that if the Me-109 and Me-110 had been equipped with a KFm4 wing the Battle of Britain would have been won by Germany and the Atlantic side of Europe would have been denied the American forces resulting in a stronger German effort in the east and also resulting in the fall of Russia and a total Allied collapse, thus changing the outcome of the war???"
He asked, desperately trying to get back on topic.

I want to try an RET,Taube-Winged, Mono-Wheeled, Vee tail.
Can someone please convince me not to?

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Nov 24, 2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:49 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Uh guys. I think the topic is KFm airfoils.

Believe me, I love a good discussion, but can we start a separate thread for ones not related to this narrow topic?

Thanks

Your truly,
the airfoil police
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Steve, that V-tail affliction will go away if treated with the proper ointment. [ahem]

I haven't had time to get back to my Yardarm X again recently. That last set of experiments proved that the stoopid thing would fly okay if the tail feathers were pulled back a ways from the wing as opposed to the original, short coupled layout. Now I am beginning to wonder if the Yard X could have remained short coupled if I had used a V-tail config.

Your experiments are leading me to try new experiments also, Steve. Darn this R/C thing! Always something new to try out. It never ends. (sigh)
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Steve, that V-tail affliction will go away if treated with the proper ointment. [ahem]

I haven't had time to get back to my Yardarm X again recently. That last set of experiments proved that the stoopid thing would fly okay if the tail feathers were pulled back a ways from the wing as opposed to the original, short coupled layout. Now I am beginning to wonder if the Yard X could have remained short coupled if I had used a V-tail config.

Your experiments are leading me to try new experiments also, Steve. Darn this R/C thing! Always something new to try out. It never ends. (sigh)
Are you talking about the "Ointment" that has a side effect of blurry vision, slurred speech and temporary short term memory-loss? Hmmmm... I've managed to avoid that for the past three years.

Good luck with the Yardarm-X. If you do it, remember, we DEMAND pics and vids!

The Taube Mk3 has an optional eyeball now and I'll see how it works next time out. The view seems high to the front and sides but the view to the rear may be interesting. The cam with it's rubber cover is a good snug fit into a 3/4" PVC pipe fitting. My simple mount can be adjusted 360 but not for tilt angle.

Coffee #1 down and done. Still dark out but I feel the uncontrollable urge to butcher some foam. The voices keep saying: "Vee-Tail", "Vee-Tail", "Vee-Tail"... OH Crap! Here we go again!

Steve
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Steve,
A ribbon scarf, a leather helmet, maybe a dowel for a MG, and that camera could double for a rear gunner!

Looking cool, hope to see the videos soon!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,916 Posts
Someone wrote:

"..Your truly,
the airfoil police..."

That should read "Yours truly."

the English grammar and composition police
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
someone wrote:

"..your truly,
the airfoil police..."

that should read "yours truly."

the english grammar and composition police
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Last edited by tolladay; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:20 AM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
Yours Truly,

Wing Police
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:48 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
KF Fun Fliers for the Snow

Just as long as the Fun Police don't rear their not-so-smiling faces, we're probably OK here... 'cause mostly, RC Flying is about fun!

So I have these two fun fliers with their narrow Elliptical KF doubler panels ready to go out and make crazy tracks in the snow. (The FLIRT20 on the right has her float/ski extensions installed, ready for deep soft snow, and her wobble eyes back in place... while her cousin, the 22" span 'Swamp Fox', with his slightly expanded wing tip panels & extended rudder is sitting on larger sized 1/32" ply skis.

'TIS THE SEASON! - Get out there & FLY!!

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Those look like fun, Bruce but where do I get the snow?

Early Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Edna put up the tree in late September. Yes! Really... She usually waits until mid October.

Steve.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
Steve,

Those are floats under one of them, & it was flying very nicely from water last summer, so that can still be an option some day when you finish other projects & get in the mood to do some wet flying. (Keeping everything so it doesn't absorb water is the primary issue.)

My wife always decorates our house for Halloween here... in the next couple of weeks, we'll go out & track down a 'road kill Christmas tree' - one that's crowding the shoulder of a mountain back road & will otherwise eventually be destroyed by the road crews as they periodically clear back the 'volunteer' trees form the edges of the road.

Here's wishing Everyone a Joyous Holiday Season!!!

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:45 PM
electron fly'r
United States, AZ, Green Valley
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
keithflyer_az wrote:

"..No I did not try the hand toss test, here in the desert the ground is hard..."

Don't under estimate the value of a test glide or a low powered test glide on a new plane. I always do them on new planes. I like to do it over taller weeds or some other soft landing but a bare spot of lawn or dirt will work too.

Give it a full arm stroke forward push from shoulder level and watch carefully. If it is a little on the nose heavy side (as it should be for a maiden flight) it will go into a gentle descent to the ground and a little elevator will keep it flat as it settles down.

If it dives it is probably too nose heavy, if it swoops up, then stalls, it is probably tail heavy. And tail heavy can be the kiss of death for a maiden flight.

If it lifts the nose, drops a wing, and does a "lawn dart" that is a side effect of the stall. It is called a tip stall and it happens to one side or the other when a wing loses lift.

If it turns a little to either side, you can try a little aileron trim but in most cases a gentle turn is OK as you can deal with it on a powered launch and either trim it out of just deal with it when you can see it better.

Adding a few hundred RPM to the same test glide launch will extend the glide and if you see it is doing OK you can add a little more power, start a climb, and you are off on the maiden. It is a wonderful thing when that happens!

Full power and a hard throw is about the worst way to approach the maiden flight.

Good luck with it!

Jack
Jack THANK YOU for good advice, will try that next, let you know how it goes.
keithflyer_az is offline Find More Posts by keithflyer_az
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
electron fly'r
United States, AZ, Green Valley
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught View Post
The swastika was the German Nationalist symbol during WWII. The Taube was designed before WWI so it's not historically a "Nazi" aircraft. I suppose historical accuracy has to make way for Political Correctness. I think the Nazi regime and all it stood for was reprehensible and I also think Political Correctness is Intellectually dishonest. Things were the way they were!

The new motor has turned the Taub into a bit of a performer, unlike thie original...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXZgjysMb_g

This is the last flight from yesterday afternoon's third flying session. The bigger motor gives the correct bance with the added weight but it also gives non-scale flight characteristics to the plane.

Richard, I have been thinking the same as you. The Vee tail, short coupled with the Taube wing would look great. Specially if done as a long triangular shape like the original Taube tail as Etrich designed it.
Hmmmmmmmmmm... Which of us will be the first to build it?

Steve
Looks great Steve, thank for the video.
Keith
keithflyer_az is offline Find More Posts by keithflyer_az
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:54 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Steve,
A ribbon scarf, a leather helmet, maybe a dowel for a MG, and that camera could double for a rear gunner!

Looking cool, hope to see the videos soon!

Fred
"Ask and ye shall receive!"
Taube Mk3 AP1 b.wmv (1 min 53 sec)

Not the best and the camera quit on me after the first flight but here's what I have so far.

Steve.