HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jackerbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
United States, MI, Almont
Joined Nov 2009
523 Posts
yeah, i dont really like the swastika thing on planes either. just dosent seem right. now, the iron crosses are cool. the germans did make a lot of great looking planes during WWI and WWII.
AJ750 is offline Find More Posts by AJ750
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
I prefer scale captured markings for Nazi aircraft. My 262 has a swastika on it that's been hastily painted over.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:46 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
That's why GWS don't include swastika's on their decal/transfer sheets
Head
The swastika was the German Nationalist symbol during WWII. The Taube was designed before WWI so it's not historically a "Nazi" aircraft. I suppose historical accuracy has to make way for Political Correctness. I think the Nazi regime and all it stood for was reprehensible and I also think Political Correctness is Intellectually dishonest. Things were the way they were!

The new motor has turned the Taub into a bit of a performer, unlike thie original...
Taube Mk3 STotD b (1 min 51 sec)

This is the last flight from yesterday afternoon's third flying session. The bigger motor gives the correct bance with the added weight but it also gives non-scale flight characteristics to the plane.

Richard, I have been thinking the same as you. The Vee tail, short coupled with the Taube wing would look great. Specially if done as a long triangular shape like the original Taube tail as Etrich designed it.
Hmmmmmmmmmm... Which of us will be the first to build it?

Steve
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
AJ, swastika & iron cross both classify as nazi symbols, so no difference .

Steve, I guess you'll be the first. I'm testing ItzaUFO now. Aiming for completely tailless design http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=353
Richard_s is offline Find More Posts by Richard_s
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,302 Posts
Steve
looks to have plenty of get up and go. Looking forward to your 1st onboard video as looks like it should be stable provided you can control your left thumb
Head
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Steve
looks to have plenty of get up and go. Looking forward to your 1st onboard video as looks like it should be stable provided you can control your left thumb
Head
I'm thinking single cockpit hole behind the reciever so the cam can mount in the pilot's position. I'm not sure how the wing, nose and prop will interfere with the view but it's worth a try. So much to do and so little time. Thank God for retirement!!!

BTW: I started RC in the USA and I'm used to mode 2 so the right stick controls rudder and elevator on an RET.

We are off to town today for shopping but I may have a bit of time when we get back,
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
523 Posts
"AJ, swastika & iron cross both classify as nazi symbols, so no difference "

didnt know that. thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Are you sure they both are Nazi symbols? Seems to me the Iron Cross has been around much longer.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
523 Posts
theyre all over WWI bipes, but i think now its used as some sort of white power symbol. along with the swastika.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:28 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
The Nazi era marking was the straight armed or "plus sign" type black and white cross, the 1914-1918 marking was the black curved arm "Iron cross." So the curved arm cross and absence of a Swastika does not imply anything "Nazi-related" to me.

Germany 1914-1918 - http://www.skytamer.com/5.1/2000/Germany_1914-1918.png

The Nazi era aircraft markings had both the Swastika and the black on white "plus sign" style cross.

As far as the present day use by the various lunatic fringe elements, I don't consider that to be relevant to the the historical usages.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
Neenah, WI
Joined May 2006
387 Posts
FWIW: The Bundeswehr (German for "Federal Defence Force") still uses a variation of the "iron cross" (Maltese cross) as part of its logo. I'm guessing that they don't consider the cross to be a "Nazi" symbol.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Bundeswehr
http://homepage.eircom.net/~steven/german_airforce.htm
gyrocptr is offline Find More Posts by gyrocptr
Last edited by gyrocptr; Nov 23, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:25 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Sorry!

I will immediately paint over the black crosses on my Taube and in the interests of being politically correct I will replace them with little pink hearts and warm fuzzy bunny-wabbits.

Like Hell I will, Pilgrim!

I'm with you Jack...
I think Ego Etrich was actually Austrian, not German but all that aside, I think much great technology has been born of man's need to kill his fellow man. People like Hiram Percy Maxim who was founder of the Amateur Radio Relay League invented the modern machine gun and didn't Alfred Nobel (Nobel Peace Prize) invent Dynamite?

I love RC airplanes and will use a reasonable degree of historical accuracy when I copy a real plane, even if that copy isn't to exact scale.

As for symbols, The cross that crucified Jesus was a symbol of oppression and murder to many during the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition not to mention the colonization of the Americas and much of Asia during the fifteenth and sixteenth century by the Spanish. The same is true for the symbols of other countries and religions.

As for me:
"Let sleeping dogs lie
and fly 'till you die."

73 de KO6NZ/DU7
(aka Cybernaught aka Steve)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:43 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,026 Posts
Perhaps we need a "rants" forum..Ive got a list of things I hate about modern society..political correctness being one of those up there..theres lots makes me angry..lots wrong with the world...

Thank goodness I can go and have a fly with my models to relax and enjoy myself... And personally anyone else who flys is just fine by me...
But woe betide anyone who tells me I cant put the correct markings on my scale models.....thats just sad....
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:38 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
Iron / maltese cross, svastika, B/W plus, SS, and many other symbols related to WW2 german army, are at least in my country considered nazi, and are promoted by racist extremists groups. And RC airplanes . No offence, guys . Just... everytime I see those markings, they evoke evil of WW2 and modern racists

Ok, back to airplanes!

My ItzaUFO needs split rudders and some airfoil. Flat-plate has way too much drag. Ok for walking-speed cruise, but it glides like a rock . Im thinking of KF-stepped full aifoil, but I'm too lazy to build that on circular base, so I'll probably end up with the simplest, KFm2 . If only weather allowed some flyin'

I just realized, that Iron cross got into todays pop culture, and I can see iron cross jewelery, T-shirts, belts ... This one is apparently not connected to nazis so much as others
Richard_s is offline Find More Posts by Richard_s
Last edited by Richard_s; Nov 24, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:09 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_s View Post
I like the looks of iron cross (those german war medals look great), but for all that nazi thing, I resist to draw them on my planes.
Actually, the Iron Cross originated in the Kingdom of Prussia, which predates the German Republic by something like half a century. The symbol itself has a proud history and is a worthy mark to put on an aircraft.

The Nazi swastika is one of the most cursed and hated symbols in the history of mankind. Nobody, but nobody chooses to use that symbol for anything at all.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek