HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Sofa King, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:15 PM
Account Closed
Western NY
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Nose heavy

No. I have not gotten that far. I am trying to take that into account while I set it up. My motor is only 5.7 oz. The lipo is 10 oz. The battery is going to be about 1.5 in back from the firewall. I'm not useing a flight pack. That takes 4oz out of the nose. Instead of putting spacers, I cut 1/4 inch off the nose and mounted the motor right to the firewall. Worked well and looks real good. I am crossing my fingures that it will balance ok.

I thought about flaps but with the type of wing and the loading, I did not think they would be needed. @31/4 lbe, I get around 17oz per sq ft. NICE Now mind you I am not home to measure the with of the wing, but I think I am close. I also am thinking that I can get it in at less them 3 1\4. Bottom line: I did not think I would need flaps. I can also do flaperon mixing. Once I get some flights on the plane, I can play with that if need be. I will let you know. THANKS FOR LETTING ME BUILD YOUR KIT. It has been a joy to build and I am sure it will fly very well.
Dan's RC is offline Find More Posts by Dan's RC
Last edited by Dan's RC; Dec 10, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
glad to hear you enjoyed it and that all is coming out great for you....the gull wing i think might be out....did you have another kit in mind you may want to build? something sporty....let me know....i'm looking for one to start for next winter...
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
Account Closed
Western NY
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
I will let you know.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
From Dan's RC:

"As I have built the R4 Coupe, it is 2.9lbs. , 17 oz per sq foot wing loading, and balanced about 2.1 in back from the leading edge( 26%). This is with a 400 watt hi-max motor and 3300mah battery. I am hoping to fly it the first nice day I get.

i am adding the pics from his email too.

looks like it turned out GREAT.....i hope it flys as good as it looks!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:21 AM
Account Closed
Western NY
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
First Flight

I flew the R4 this morning. As balanced it flies perfect. With the pop bottle skies It balanced about 1.9 inches from the leading edge. NICE I may play with the C.G. later after I really feel the plane out. It flies like a dream. SORRY I can't upload the vidoes. Dose anyone know why. Help.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's RC View Post
I flew the R4 this morning. As balanced it flies perfect. With the pop bottle skies It balanced about 1.9 inches from the leading edge. NICE I may play with the C.G. later after I really feel the plane out. It flies like a dream. SORRY I can't upload the vidoes. Dose anyone know why. Help.

pic of dans skies....i'm not sure about the video....i'll try to find out

thanks dan.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post13865544

i think we have to post vids in the video section....here is a link to the brushless version of Dan'sRC's R4 Coupe
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162418

video of the nitro version up!!!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
the coupe flew better than i had imagined....nearly lands itself.....slows to a crawl and screams through the air .....its like having two planes in one...i hope to have a better report and some better video in the spring....its still a little chilly for me...
Last edited by Sofa King; Dec 21, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Closed Thread