HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Thanks for the build pics Paul. Looks great. I'm definitely interested in how this turns out and flies. I'm becomming a big fan of soaring and to mix it with a big floaty wing would be great. This should be like flying a Radian ... but cooler.
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:33 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Ty, No problem. Seems i always photo my builds it is becoming a habit..

Matt, I used PU (gorilla glue) and spritzed it with water so it would foam up. then i cut it off with a razor blade. (box knife without the Handel)

The wings feel stiff with the glass I'm not worried. But then again i don't plane on more than about 50 or 60 out of this one. Of course i hope it does that at 60* climb out.

Also I'm not too sure why i did the servos that way other than i wanted to try it. I'm not as worried about induced drag from the servos being in the air stream, Maybe i should be but....

I cut a slit and put the ant wire in it and used thin ca to seal that slit up.. I still have to get everything set up the way i want it then glass the top section in the middle..

Then its covering time and i am not comfortable yet with the 1.5 doculam..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by klique; Dec 31, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Dont lam it bro if you are not comphy or have not used the lam enough to like it.
Do a leading edge wrap of riteweave or henries then spray 90 the entire wing, then let dry then mono.

I do like the servos laying down better though ,but if they are laying down they almost need to be a verry good qual so you dont have to worry about removing them.
Its a give an take thing for shure,lately I have ben doing the electrical tape wrap over the servo prior to burryi'n the servos so if they need to be removed its way easier.

Hey bro I didnt edit your post I just hit the edit button on accident instead of quote.

Its nice to see you change things up so people see the different ways things can be done.

ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi View Post
Ty, No problem. Seems i always photo my builds it is becoming a habit..

Matt, I used PU (gorilla glue) and spritzed it with water so it would foam up. then i cut it off with a razor blade. (box knife without the Handel)

The wings feel stiff with the glass I'm not worried. But then again i don't plane on more than about 50 or 60 out of this one. Of course i hope it does that at 60* climb out.

Also I'm not too sure why i did the servos that way other than i wanted to try it. I'm not as worried about induced drag from the servos being in the air stream, Maybe i should be but....

I cut a slit and put the ant wire in it and used thin ca to seal that slit up.. I still have to get everything set up the way i want it then glass the top section in the middle..

Then its covering time and i am not comfortable yet with the 1.5 doculam..
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by PaulVi; Jan 01, 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: pay back HAHAHA
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:17 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Ya i have more foam to mess with on the lam I may mono this one the over all savings will not be that great in wieght specially iif i use the cheap covering HAHA

I have moncoat and ultra coat but will use the mono this time...

I reall dont want to mess this wing up so sticking with some of the standards will help.

As for the servos in hind site laying them down would have been nicer but i wanted to give this a shot if the servos had been a 1/4 shorter they would have been flush....

But i thing seeing as the speeds will not be over the top on this one and a bit of drag may help it slow down when needed im hoping the servo install will not be a mistake...
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:45 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
You will notice that i have changed the servo mounting.. It was ugly and after talking to CK i decided to lay them flay. (should have done it from the beginning would have saved a bit of glue up front.

Also notice that i have burred arms but exposed rods.. Trying some thing new.. this was simple to do and was done for the same reason i did the top mounted servos. The curve of the top of the foil causes a bowed control rod and adds a load on the servos so this was the bend or bow is reduces and the strain is removed and i have nice clean servos mounted under the foam.

I will need to put a slit in the arm cover so that i can hold the clevis with needle nose pliers while i screw in the rods but that should be clean and tidy when done..

I will add a few more pic's Sunday I hope time permitting.

All that is left to do is a LE wrap of riteweave and a good soaking with super 90 then let it dry in the beds for a few days or more to dry out..

covering is still undecided.. but i want to do the doculam 3mm or 1.5 which ever proves to be simpler.. (may wind up being mono coat)
Last edited by PaulVi; Jan 03, 2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:50 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,335 Posts
Nice work Paul, like the Hybrid Buried/exposed rods, interesting take on things
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:58 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Preped and ready to cover... Just have to let it vent for a few days I wonder if it will loose any wieght..
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Ok it was a pain in the tookish but the wing is covered in New Stuff, Doculam, Laminating film... Anyways I used the 3mm on the lower surfaces and the 1.5 mm on the top surface.. I wanted to see the diff in how they went on.. but i like the 1.5 it is thin and you have to be careful but it does the edges much nicer that the 3mm..

All in all not too much different than the mono coats.. now for some pain.. i believe satin black on the bottom and have yet to figure out the top colors yet..

Will post photos as i paint...
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:49 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
More of the build...

Things have been hard, so i have been building slow..

Sorry this has not been posted sooner..

The doculam is not fun to work with but good results can be had..

Just watch the edges and overlap.. Seams do not always stay down
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:13 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Paint job looks sick.

Can you elaborate on the problems you had with the lam, Mine bowed pretty heavy but relaxed after a few hours.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I used the 3mm on the bottom and getting the heat right was a tricky part hot enough to get it to stick and not too hot to melt the foam.

the 1.5mm was simpler but it does not seal well on the seams and a few places i had to tack it down with storage tape..

All in all it looks ok but im still sold on mono coat

I guess if i was not being anal it would have been just fine for a night flyer or combat plane but for a finnished look stick with mono coat..

Lighter too by the time you add paint..
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:25 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
also i used auto striping tape to outline all the painted areas.. 100% diffrent look when that was finnished..
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:41 PM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,335 Posts
hey Paul, looking good man (the plane not you )

i just doculamed a 48" lightning, ended up with a slight bow toward each tip, I started rushing things and a bit too much heat.

I quite enjoy the doculam for a quick tough finish, but I reckon riteweaving timewise is about the same for actual "doing it" time, not counting 3 days of drying
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:04 PM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
730 Posts
Paul, great job on the paint. It really looks good. How did you wind up prepping the Doculam for painting?
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:19 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I used a 3m sanding sponge (220 Grit) and sanded then wiped with wax and greese remover (auto supplies) then used Rustolium