HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
B-29 "Air Warrior" ESC question

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a B-29 "Air Warrior" bomber aircraft from an online shop. (Article about kit by wahrhaftig here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284067).

Anyway its a 4 motor electric foamie that runs on a 2CH differential thrust system.

What I want to know, is that can I run all 4 motors through one ESC or do I have to have an ESC for each?

I plan on converting the plane over to a fully functional 4CH model.

All the motors are wired as part of the wing - here is what the little connection looks like between the motors and the inbuilt esc/receiver.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean
kwando is offline Find More Posts by kwando
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:44 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
Yes, you can run 4 brushed motors on one ESC, provided you set it up so that the motors do not draw more current than the ESC is rated for
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
That's great news!

I was worried 4 ESC's would way too much and this bad boy would never get off the ground.

Thanks for the answer.

Now for my next dilemma ...how do I connect an ESC to these 4 motors?

Do I rewire to the connection plug in the original esc/receiver?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:32 PM
Tarzana, Ca
Joined May 2005
119 Posts
Rewire the plug

Yes, rewire the plug to parallel the motors by combining the wires then connect them to the esc. I did mine years ago, am still flying it. Its all over the internet under epagel at RC Group, or TWINTEN on youtube.
epagel is offline Find More Posts by epagel
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Thanks Epagel, I'm looking through all your posts now. It flies very nicely after your 4 channel conversion!

I haven't taken the bird out for any flights yet as its been too windy as of late. Do you think I should try it 2 channel or jump right into the 3 channel conversion before taking the maiden flight?

- Sean
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
Tarzana, Ca
Joined May 2005
119 Posts
B-29 conversion

Ground handling requires good nosewheel streering. Elevator and aileron are indespensable. Its 4 channel or nothing for consistant safe flights. Im still flying mine after 3-4 years on the original motors!!

Now Im converting the Powerfly B-17 from EP yaya. It has a lot of promise at only 8 ounces. I may do a blog on it if it is outstanding.
Last edited by epagel; Oct 25, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Here's a link that might be of interest...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459920

Lots of general info including lipo and 3 channel conversion tips in this thread IIRC.

I have the Epyaya P-38, Mossy, and B-17 and they all fly quite well (for what they are) once you get used to them. However, I must say that all three are a bit fast for scale like flying (especially the B-17).

Don't be fooled by their small size...these planes need lots of room to fly in (i.e. a football sized flying field is a good place to start).

Good luck and good flying!
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:37 PM
Tarzana, Ca
Joined May 2005
119 Posts
Flew the B-17

Got a few flights on it. Outstanding flyer, lots of power, low current - less than 5 amps in flight. Good takeoffs and landings are possible with a little concentration. Will try to get a video soon.