HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:42 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Help!
How to repair a fuel tank?

I crashed and put a tiny hole in my tank. I can't even see it, just the drip. What is the best way to fix it?

I would buy a new one but cant get them anymore. I need the flush fit,the stopper fits through a hole in the firewall. Of course I can get a Dubro and make it work, but would like to fix this one.

Curt
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
In general you can't get a satisfactory repair of the plastic fuel tanks. The residual fuel/oil prevents any glue from bonding.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
How about melting a plastic patch -over the hole...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Again... the residual oil prevents a decent bond.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:10 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
I get the soldering iron and run it over the hole to get melted plastic over it. I sometimes also put some epoxy over it as well. To my surprise, it sticks well.

If there is oil on it, surely it can be cleaned with something like acetone?
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Last thing you want to do is create a "leak waiting to happen".... and thats what you get when you repair a plastic fuel tank.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:05 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,196 Posts
Just replace it, they're cheap.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Yea, thanks for the replies.

I think I will just replace it. No need to deadstick it. It doesn't float to well. It is a 60 size Shoestring by great planes. Beautiful plane(or was till I forgot to put my antena up) and flies great. No need to crash it again over something stupid, that could have been prevented.
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
Old Oct 01, 2009, 03:29 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
If you have an ARF with a leaky metric sized tank (no exact USA replacement), they can be successfully repaired if you don't want to cobble your airframe for a larger replacement or install a smaller tank. All it takes is a bit of mineral spirits or a strong detergent, a low temp soldering iron, and narrow strips of plastic milk bottle. But if its a neck split - forget it. And don't attempt on a Sullivan flex tank, the walls are too thin.

I have repaired a few tanks successfully by melting the milk bottle strips onto the crack in the tank. First clean the area to remove the oil from the fuel, then a quick swipe with the iron on the tank to burn off the excess petroleum that is inherent with polyethylene, and then melting the bottle strips onto the crack. The key is to back off with the iron if you see the tank material turning clear. Usually two layers of bottle strips, if done right, will stand up to 10 psi. Your basically resealing the crack and adding material.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski