HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
Looking for generator.

Ok I've been everywhere looking, I've tried Humdinger(good one but not for sale yet) Google, everything and I just cant find one. I'm looking for a micro wind generator with the ability to power my plane which has like 100 watts of power needing refueling. Unlike all the other places I have asked on, this place is an rc place, so please I'm not looking for a generator thats 10 lbs. I'm looking for the smallest, lightest, and most efficient generator possible.

Please help
dark_? is offline Find More Posts by dark_?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Just to be clear:

You are looking for an aircraft mounted wind powered electrical generator to power the aircraft?

Is that correct?

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:59 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Judging from the Humdinger site I don't think that's what he wants, but what he does want is a mystery to me.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2009
60 Posts
you can use a brushless/brushed motor as alternator. You will need solid rectification/filtering/regulation if you plan to put a sizeable load on it.

If I wanted to select, i'd find out the max RPM and required o/p voltage and current. Then select a BL motor with kv rating around (max RPM / (1.5 or 2 * req voltage))

That when I'd be driving it trhrough a hard line (gear/belt etc). I wont think about driving it on an aircraft. neither through wind nor hard line

Its too much extra weight/complication and reliability issue, not to mention extra drag in case of external windmill.
supergps is offline Find More Posts by supergps
Last edited by supergps; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:53 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
Just to be clear:

You are looking for an aircraft mounted wind powered electrical generator to power the aircraft?

Is that correct?

Bill
Actually I think that is exactly what he wants after looking at their "Micro Wind Belts" page. I think it's time to introduce him to the law of conservation of energy, specificaly the part about not being able to generate more power than used.

If this is what you want to do dark, you should understand that whatever power could be generated during flight wouldn't be enough to continue to power the plane withouth some auxilliary battery or additional solar cells required...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Ah yes , dreams of a perpetual motion machine always seem to become nightmares once physics awakens
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
My guess is that he wants to set up a little windmill at the flying field to recharge his batteries.

(Of course on days when it's windy, he won't be out there flying in the first place. )
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2009
60 Posts
ohh.. that perpetual motion.. way beyond my qualifications
supergps is offline Find More Posts by supergps
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I'm wondering if a small generator w/lipo backup might be practical to run RX/servos on a thermal powered glider.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:09 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
The TAM 5 model plane that flew the Atlantic in 2003 used a brushless motor converted into an alternator to power its electronics.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Ok, we have a winner here. It's the HumDinger. I just spent an hour on their website learning the technical side of exactly how this thing works, and it's revolutionary!

A box containing a rubber band, stretched between two nails is placed in a source of wind.

Two wires carry the energy produced by the vibrating rubber band into what is called a 'conversion device'. Another two wires come from the conversion device to bring the electricity into whatever appliance you want to power.

They are looking for distributors of this machine who only have to purchase the necessary paperwork, fees, and licensing in order to sell the device to the public.

It's a gold mine, boys!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
(Of course on days when it's windy, he won't be out there flying in the first place. )
What are you talking about?! Only about 10-15mph wind would be enough to run your average wind generator for charging batteries

(I still fly in that daily)
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Ok, we have a winner here. It's the HumDinger. I just spent an hour on their website learning the technical side of exactly how this thing works, and it's revolutionary!

A box containing a rubber band, stretched between two nails is placed in a source of wind.

Two wires carry the energy produced by the vibrating rubber band into what is called a 'conversion device'. Another two wires come from the conversion device to bring the electricity into whatever appliance you want to power.

They are looking for distributors of this machine who only have to purchase the necessary paperwork, fees, and licensing in order to sell the device to the public.

It's a gold mine, boys!

Chuck
Chuck,

Sorry but you missed out.

I just purchased the rights, at a considerable cost I might add, to the HumDinger II.

Two rubber bands and three times the power,................. as long as the gerbil doesn't die.

Don
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Last edited by diver don; Sep 24, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Actually the HumDinger does work. I have built one myself based on patent info. It is not just rubber bands. A metal ribbon vibrates in a magnetic field and does produce electricity. It is nowhwere near as efficient as conventional windmills and very tricky to get reliable vibrations. Needless to say they do not make this evident to potential investors.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
Actually the HumDinger does work. I have built one myself based on patent info. It is not just rubber bands. A metal ribbon vibrates in a magnetic field and does produce electricity. It is nowhwere near as efficient as conventional windmills and very tricky to get reliable vibrations. Needless to say they do not make this evident to potential investors.
Rich,

I might be stupid because I was born at night... but not last night!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone