SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
New Product
Electric Pilatus Porter PC-6

Just got this plane finished and am waiting for decent weather to do the maiden flight. It's the new offering from VQ Warbirds and has the "Bird Scheme like the full scale in Thailand.

WS= 61in. Area=610sq in. Wt= 5.1lb w/o Batt 6lb w/Batt

Power setup: Eflite Power 46, 60amp Pro ESC, 13X8e APC and 3S4450 Thunder Power Batt.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
I've been tinkering with mine off and on. -sure wish it was designed with flaps (maybe the larger 1.20 size one will). I've been working on putting the tail wheel in the scale location and upgrading to a 12X8 3 blade prop powered by a Himaxx HA3618-3043 (geared inrunner) on 3 cells.

Good luck with your maiden

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:48 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
Looks very nice. I think they got the windshield wrong though. If it flies anything like my scratch built Turboporter you are going to love it. I've had mine for 5+ years now, and it's an amazingly fun airplane http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/porter.htm

Can you tell me how they handled the diagonal strut on the landing gear? Is it a working, spring loaded strut? I'm considering changing my landing gear. Can you shoot a close-up of the the strut that goes up to the fuselage sides?

Someday consider putting flaps on it. Words can't describe how cool it looks on high final, flaps down, nose down in a very steep approach, no gain in airspeed,... and flaring out at the last second to a nice touch down.

Good luck on the maiden.

Fred
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Fred,

The strut is indeed articulated. It is just a rod inside another with a spring in the lower rod. It is crude, but it works. The springs that come with it (at least on my model) are way too stiff, but are easy to change out.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:31 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm going to look at modifying mine.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
This is a neat looking plane.. Do you have some more pics? During the build process or anything like that? Love to hear the flight report when you get a chance to fly it.

Going to go ahead and subscribe to this one.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:12 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
This is a neat looking plane.. Do you have some more pics? During the build process or anything like that? Love to hear the flight report when you get a chance to fly it.

Going to go ahead and subscribe to this one.

-Jay
What would you like to see? my model is still unassembled and I could take pictures if you'd like...

Cheers,
Steve
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:17 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
Looks very nice. I think they got the windshield wrong though. If it flies anything like my scratch built Turboporter you are going to love it. I've had mine for 5+ years now, and it's an amazingly fun airplane http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/porter.htm

Can you tell me how they handled the diagonal strut on the landing gear? Is it a working, spring loaded strut? I'm considering changing my landing gear. Can you shoot a close-up of the the strut that goes up to the fuselage sides?

Someday consider putting flaps on it. Words can't describe how cool it looks on high final, flaps down, nose down in a very steep approach, no gain in airspeed,... and flaring out at the last second to a nice touch down.

Good luck on the maiden.

Fred
Fred, the strut is operational although somewhat crude and the springs are too stiff. Will replace with softer ones. I will also modify the wing and put flaps on it. Not too happy with the covering material, it's a heavy plastic with sticky back. Would much have preferred monokote.
I am going to fly as is for now but the above mods are definitely going to be made.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been waiting for some time for a PC-6

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:31 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
What would you like to see? my model is still unassembled and I could take pictures if you'd like...

Cheers,
Steve
Just to get an idea of the construction strength and weight and whatnot. The pics on the site are not very good.

-Jay
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
Hey so one question.. I have some 5s 5000mah packs for another plane. Can either of you tell me if they will physically fit into the battery location? I know they're a little big for this plane... but if they'll fit I can handle it. The packs I have are 143 x 49 x 39mm.

-Jay
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Great-looking plane!
Who makes this model and where do you buy one?
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
VQ is the brand I think.. Hobby People has it for the best price as far as I can tell...

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159939.asp

Ground shipping is $20.

I really like the look of this plane... just on the fence over build quality, and if my batteries will fit in it.

-Jay
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
180 Posts
Just starting my PC6 Porter

I just got my Porter this past Saturday. I like the quality so far. The covering seems a little heavy but looks really nice. I checked my plane and a 5S Rhino 4900 (175x48x42) LiPo battery fit in through the stock battery hatch even with the included tray in place. A Turnigy 6S 5000 (145x48x48) fit in without the tray. I also cut flaps out of the wings and will include photos. It was easy to cut and finish the flaps. I mounted the flap servo in the center of the 3rd bay out but had to cut the covering to slip in a plywood servo tray between the ribs touching the spar in front. You could also mount the servo in the first bay next to the root and glue some hardwood rails inserted through the root rib and avoid cutting the covering. I wanted the servo centered on the flaps as I think they will take some force if I do steep landings with 75 degree flaps down. I am also going to add a tow release and try towing some 2.6M scale gliders. I am planning on installing a Turnigy SX 35-48 900kv and run 4S or 5S 3600 LiPo power with a 13x4 or 12-6 propeller.
bettsmums is online now Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:55 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
I was thinking SK 42-50 650kv (1150 watts) on 5s 5000mah Turnigy lipos... and a 13x5x3 Xoar prop.. probably paint it black since the wood wouldn't look right on this plane, but I think a 3 blade prop would really set it off.

I'm trying to fit the power system in with stuff I already own..

The flaps look great, I'd love to see it complete.

-Jay
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:38 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
180 Posts
Maiden flight

I test flew my Porter today and it flew great. It flies a lot like a Telemaster. It was much slower than I expected. Adding the flaps might have been a waste of time. I think there is too much positve incidense in the wing so I am going to shim the trailing edge up about a popsicle stick before the next flight. The power meter was showing 643 watts a full power static. It is was way over powered. It was maintaining altitude on about 2 clicks of power. I have not tried a vertical decent with the flaps deployed yet. It weighs 86 ounces RTF which makes the wing loading 21 oz/sq foot. I was running a Turnigy SX 35-48 910kv with a 12-6 on 4S1P 3600 LiPo.
bettsmums is online now Find More Posts by bettsmums