Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:00 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Build Log
64" Cub Bee build

This build will be based on my 20 size Cub Bee creation http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107219 but this time using a partially built 1/5 Sig Cub as the wing/tail feather donor. The planning on this one took more time since unlike the first one the wing will be removable. I am drawing up the fuse plans now and should have pics of it tonight. I still need to build the other wing panel but the rest of the needed parts of the Sig kit were built before I lost interest in it. Here's a couple pics of the existing parts by it's smaller twin for size comparison.
jwhitacre is online now Find More Posts by jwhitacre
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I am leaving for the San Diego area for a couple of weeks on Monday so I'm cramming this weekend to get the wings done. I will try to have pics later tonight of the progress
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:41 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
sorry guys, I ran out of time and didn't get any pics of the progress. I am out of town now so I will post progress next week when I get back. I ddid get a little bit done over the weekend but not much. the other wing half is built and the 2 halves are now joined together. the fuse sides are cut out too. it shouldn't take long to frame the fuse when I get back.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:38 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I'm home for a couple of days and am trying to get most of the parts cut out. Here's where the wing and fuse is so far. I will post more pics tonight once I'm done cutting for the day
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:17 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks again I only got time to cut the other fuse side and the side doublers which is why I didn't bother to take pics. I will be sure to give an update when I get back and can get some work done.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:27 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I'm back!

I am on vacation for Thanksgiving til Tuesday so it's time to get thing built
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:19 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
I'll Be Watching !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre View Post
I am on vacation for Thanksgiving til Tuesday so it's time to get thing built
Hi jw:

GO GET'EM ! I'll be watching.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:15 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here's the fuse parts ready for assembly. The main longerons on the turtledeck are 1/4X3/8 spruce. That with the hard balsa sides should give this bird some serious strength.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:27 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere

This is starting to look familiar I still have the turtledeck to build but I'm liking it already
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:59 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I have the day off so I'm trying to get this bird ready for covering TODAY Needless to say it's turbo building day The firewall from the Cub donor is installed and drying right now and the horiz. stab is in place too. I'm doing the remaining work on the wing while the fuse is drying. I will post pics later tonight of the progress, time to get back to building now
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:18 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Fuse Progress

More pics to come later
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:19 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Well I didn't get as much done the other day as I would of liked but it's still coming along nicely. Today I'm working on framing the ailerons and after I get back from the LHS with some balsa block I will build the section surrounding the vertical stab. I'm going to run dual elevator servos and haven't decided if I want them in the fuse or in back on the side yet. I will probably wait and see which setup will be more CG friendly
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:29 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Laser Work ?

Quote:
Well I didn't get as much done the other day as I would of liked but it's still coming along nicely. Today I'm working on framing the ailerons and after I get back from the LHS with some balsa block I will build the section surrounding the vertical stab. I'm going to run dual elevator servos and haven't decided if I want them in the fuse or in back on the side yet. I will probably wait and see which setup will be more CG friendly
Hi jw:

Looks really great, and the "spittin image" of Little Cub Bee, nice work.

Some of your parts look laser cut (burned) have you got a friend with a laser ?

The wing ribs are especially impressive. Are they built up or lasered ?

We have gone into "snow mode" so prospects for a maiden on my Large 'Poke before spring are dismal.

Best,

Tom
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:40 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Looks really great, and the "spittin image" of Little Cub Bee, nice work.

Some of your parts look laser cut (burned) have you got a friend with a laser ?

The wing ribs are especially impressive. Are they built up or lasered ?
I agree the laser cutting is impressive but I can't take credit for that. The wing, cowl, and tail were stolen from the Sig 1/5 scale Cub kit I had. The only mods done to the wing were the oversize ailerons, carbon strips added to the main spars, and it was turned into a 1 piece wing.
Quote:
We have gone into "snow mode" so prospects for a maiden on my Large 'Poke before spring are dismal.
Don't let that stop you, I bought a few sets of these just for that situation
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH30&P=7
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:59 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Winter Flying

Quote:
I agree the laser cutting is impressive but I can't take credit for that. The wing, cowl, and tail were stolen from the Sig 1/5 scale Cub kit I had. The only mods done to the wing were the oversize ailerons, carbon strips added to the main spars, and it was turned into a 1 piece wing.
Don't let that stop you, I bought a few sets of these just for that situation
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH30&P=7
Hi jw:

Oh yes, I winter fly, but mainly little electrics. We don't do any winter field maintenance so the snow gets pretty deep. The little guys will run on the crust. I tried one of my large cubs with 12 X 3 skis and he just kept breaking thru the crust. Long treks to the other end of the field to pull him out and trek back beat the old man up.

Best,

Tom