Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:01 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
787 Posts
Ok,

I can see: Once bitten twice shy!

One more question: Can a situation as described by Tony be avoided by using a power management system? Or else: What PMS did you use? (For example I use an EasyPatch in my large L-213A.)

I donít mind anybody using an extra battery (especially in a laaaaarge scale glider) but was thinking about the extra care you have to give to one more battery on board.

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:43 PM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
430 Posts
I do believe that some of the high end power management systems can limit current draw but the basic ones do not. Some of the new Hitec servos can be programmed to not go into melt down phase which I think would be a better option.

While on the subject of power management systems (PMS) I would like to recommend a redundant system instead for large planes. Both PMS's and battery backers suffer from the same flaw in that they become a common pathway to electrical failure. If one battery or one switch goes bad then they work. But if something like a jammed retract starts to draw a lot of current then both batteries get sucked down. With a redundant system there is complete separation between the two halves of the plane. I have seen on two occasions planes brought in safely with only one half of the plane functioning, and one of these was a half scale job. Since a second receiver is about the cost of a basic PMS why even consider going the PMS route? When you split the load between two recievers a PMS becomes unecessary and you have your bases covered for the rather remote chance of a reciever failure.
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
I think we've hijacked a DG-600 build thread - I quit! - no more comments about jamming retracts
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
I spent the morning over at Bob's workshop (I didn't realize "wing man" meant that I'd have to install the wing servos?!) and the DG-600 is looking great. It will indeed make it's first flight tomorrow.

About the only thing that's not sorted is the gear doors -- they have brass hinges (2 per side) and are stiff as $#%! -- seems like resin got into them upon install at the factory. So, Bob's evening project is freeing them up and getting the radio program ready.
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:27 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,519 Posts
AWARD WINNER.

This plane won an Award today at the Aero-tow event, Best modern Sailplane.

I saw this fly today. Absolutely first class. Bob ( and Steve) did a fantastic job getting this ready and Bob flew it like a champ on tow today. Great job, you deserve the award you won with it.
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
411 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and comments. The plane is wonderful and many thanks to all that helped me get it pulled together.

I forgot to take a picture of it at the Aerotow yesterday, bu I'l have a few pictures here to post today or tomorrow.

Still having trouble with the gear doors, but after talking with Steve and a few others I think I have a plan to solve the problem now.
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:49 AM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
Congratulations on the award and a nice model.

Iīve flown the H-model DG-600 for two years and like it very much.

I had to alter the decalage angle (EWD) a bit, lifting the TE of the stab about 1 mm; ending out with 1,4-1,5 deg. CG at 83mm.

My gear doors are closed by rubber band, and fastened to the fuse by blenderm tape; works fine. If the tape gets loose, replace it immediately; as the gear doors may bind the retract unit. It happened to me, with the result shown in the attached image. I fixed this using steel-epoxy armed with CF/GF.
sjaa is offline Find More Posts by sjaa
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:45 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
405 Posts
SJAA,

same story on my retract in my DG800S 4.5m
Same retract, same bending problem of the axle. same break in the aluminum joiners...
This landing gear is a piece of crap

Just recently bought one with fiber glass plates and good axles on ebay.de for replacing it!
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:13 AM
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
411 Posts
Pictures if the DG-600 Build

Here are some pictures of the HModel DG-600 from start point to flying. It is a wonderful model and it flies beautifully. I just have to dial in some of the settings now for the 3 flight modes I am using.

Some of the specifics of the model are the following:

Radio equipment used is a JR 12x system with a JR 1221 12 channel reciver. 10 of the 12 channels are used for 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos, 2 spoiler/airbrake servos, elevator servo, rudder servo, tow release servo, and finally the retract servo

Flaps and ailerons are controlled by JR DS378 thin wing servos, Spoilers/Airbrakes are controlled by JR DS368BB servos, Rudder is controlled by a JR DS8422 servo, elevator is controlled by a JR DS368BB servo, Rtetract is controlled by a JR 791 retract servo, and tow release is controlled by a JR DS368BB servo.

Power for the flight controls comes from tow 2600mAh 2s Lipo packs that run to Castle Creations Progarmmable BEC's set for 6.0v. The retract servo has its own independent battery, a 1400mAh 4 cell NiCad pack at 4.8V. The batteries are seen in the from of the fuselage, with the NiCad pack forward and the two Lipo packs side by side.

Final balance has been set to 80mm behind the leading edge of the wing for initial flights. 8 oz of lead shot in epoxy resin was added to the nose to acheive this balance point.

The pictures range from Monday 9-21-09 to today: Tuesday 9-29-09. Titles are on the bottom of each picture.

The pilot is from Preimer Pilots.
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Last edited by rcmorrow; Sep 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM.