HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:33 AM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,365 Posts
Discussion
what glue used to fix foam plane?

I know you are suppose to use styrofoam ca to fix it or you can you 5 minute expoy but I can't find any of that around here, is there another glue I can use that I could find at like home depot?

thanks for the help
HeliStyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliStyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:12 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
(GG) in a pinch you can use Gorilla Glue, the white stuff. put a tad or little bit of water on the foam, use the GG and make sure the parts are in the right place. Wait 24 hours, you are good to go.
a lot of guys use GG if they don't have epoxy.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I use either foam-safe ("odorless") CA or Gorilla glue. Epoxy for motor mounts and such. For Elapor foam, you can use regular CA, and avoid using epoxy -- it doesn't adhere too well.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:57 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
hot glue works well, especially with EPP...you have to use it sparingly with EPP though it acts more like a weld than glue on that stuff ..easy to "burn" thru the material and there can be a considerable weight penalty if you are not careful and use too much with it .

If you have a Home Depot close by(or Loews for that matter) ,you shouldn't have any trouble finding any kind of glue .Most all the glues we use in the hobby are available there,even though the packaging may not say so...just read the labels carefully for application of usuage.

Walmart sells a 5 and a 15 min epoxy that comes in a syringe...i've used this a time or two in a pinch and it works every bit as good as the "hobby grade" stuff ya get at the LHS.the only drawback with it is that the syringe is basically one time usuage, long term storage really isnt a good idea with it...find it in paint/hardware aisles...

CVS and Walgreens sells a CA that comes in a 1/2 oz bottle that claims "no clog tip"and it doesnt so long as you keep it upright ...it takes 3-5 seconds to set up so you have a little wiggle room with it ...find it in the office supply area.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Sep 23, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,365 Posts
yeah, its on a crack I have in my tail on my parkzone Sukhoi
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle
yeah, its on a crack I have in my tail on my parkzone Sukhoi
despite the wheels ,those things dont like hard surfaces much ,cracked the elevator on mine on its maiden landing ..a drop of ca and was good as new,I fly over and land on grass now ...lol
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:59 AM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,365 Posts
yeah, thats how I did mine lol I ordered a new styrofoam piece, but will ca it untill I have to replace this part
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
UHU Por is awesome!!
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
The Suqhoi mini is made of EPS, so you really want to avoid heavier glues like epoxy, or hot glue (especially hot glue) or gorilla glue.

The stuff you should be using is foam safe CA. BSI's Foam Safe CA is the BEST stuff out there, and a giant 2oz bottle of it is like $15, and like $10 for a whopping 8oz of kicker (refill bottle- put a sprayer on it and it works). Prices do vary with who sells it, but it's awesome stuff, and usually shipping will only be a few bucks, say $5-$6

Chief Aircraft has the stuff in stock for that approximate price.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:33 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,365 Posts
yeah, i just ordered some zap stryofoam ca from helidirect.com
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle
yeah, i just ordered some zap stryofoam ca from helidirect.com
Uh oh I've had plenty of bad experiences with that stuff. Sometimes it isn't brewed right, and just won't dry without an accelerant. Other times it just melts the foam Also, IMO, it's fairly brittle compared to the BSI CA, of which is the only CA type I will be using from now on. It's brewed to the point where it will dry on its own in a few seconds. Also, that Zap stuff is only half an ounce. BSI's is 2 oz and the same price. That's like quadrouple!

IMO, use the zap stuff for balsa, and buy this stuff:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...sives/BSI.html

The product number "BSI128" which apparently went up in price to $18.95 (it was at $14.95 over the summer) and product number "BSI152" which is still the same price. That's also quadrouple the ammount for essentially the same price as Pacer Zap-kicker
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
UHU Por is better and cheaper because it maintains its flexibility and has great bonding strength.
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,365 Posts
well I am going to try the zap on my old wing, if it wrecks it all well lol I'll replace it with the new wing

thanks for the advice though
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:03 PM
it goes sideways...
Oakland, CA
Joined Jul 2007
158 Posts
I like the Yardbird ultimate foam glue. It doesn't take much so its light and it makes a very solid bond.
wonkavetor is offline Find More Posts by wonkavetor
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:12 PM
USA, DE, Townsend
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
Glue

The glue I use sumo glue on epp and balsa combo. the fix in the field" hot glue."
sumo glue is the same as gorilla glue it just doesn't expand as much.
It bond the balsa to the epp in 15 min but takes 8 + hours to fully cure.
I bought it at home depot.
If i were bonding epp to epp I use hot glue.
I haven't tried to bond epp to epp with the sumo glue because it's an expanding glue.
GRASS GRINDER is offline Find More Posts by GRASS GRINDER