HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:23 PM
Renewed Modeler
Joined Sep 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
First Bipe build Opinion. Phaeton 90 or EAA?

Hey guys, back into the hobby after a several year absense due to Real Life and all that stuff. Im a fairly decent builder and have more than a few trainers under my belt that I bought, built and later sold. Im in it for the long haul now and want to get into something newer. Im interested in a Biplane but the kits are getting scarce. So im looking at the BUSA EAA or the Phaeton 90. Plan is for a Saito 125 In terms of complicated what would be the best route?
Gulp is offline Find More Posts by Gulp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:53 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
557 Posts
Either one would build about the sam, I like the looks of the Phaeton 90. The P90 is bigger so would be a little slower (more drag) than the EAA. The hardest part of building a bipe is the second wing and making sure you have them set up correctly, i.e. incidence and washout, these are adjusted through the cabanes and "N"-struts. The struts and cabanes will require some soldering.
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:02 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
917 Posts
You don't fancy a WW1 bipe?

BUSA have several which would suit your engine.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:04 AM
That's gonna' leave a mark!!
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
Phaeton 90.... build and enjoy. Mine is now powered with a Thunder Tiger 91 4st (GMS.76 pictured). Does not have excess power but sounds and flies very scale. Lands like a trainer.

Cheers
Curt
chuebner is offline Find More Posts by chuebner
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:16 AM
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
Another super choice for a first Bipe build is the Sig HOG BIPE. I have one with a Magnum .91 2 stroke in it and it has awesome performance and flight characteristics.. It will also fly very well on a 75/76 2 stroke(my bro has that in his)

Regards
Curt
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:37 AM
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
Curt Man!!

Thats some awsome planes!!

I have plans and formers ready to go for my Astro Hog, and a EAA Bipe ready for struts and all the hard stuff, just miss placed plans in a move...
My phaeton was damaged beyond repair in that move which i'm about but its just great to see some unreal finnished plans like yours, nice set up as well.

I'm heading for the shed LOL

VON
VonChadwik is offline Find More Posts by VonChadwik
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
Thanks for the kudos, Von

The red Hog Bipe was resurrected after I aquired it from another flier. It needed to be stripped, repaired and cleaned before covering, as it had been extensivly oil soaked and neglected. My brother(who owns the green Hog Bipe with a GMS.76) designed the trim and covered mine for me. The end result was great. It flies awesome with the magnum .91 2st.

The BUSA Phaeton 90 was the first plane that I ever built and covered from a kit. I thought I had bitten off way more than I could chew, but stuck with it and the outcome was way better than I had expected. I did swap out the flimsy wire stock gear for sturdy aluminum 90 size gear later on. The .91 TT 4 popper was a great upgrade also. The Phaeton now sounds awesome and flies very scale like, yet still lands as easy as a trainer.

I am a happy camper for sure

Cheers
Curt