HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Some friends on another forum have an issue I think someone here can help with. I'll quote their posts:

#1 I've got an 808 version 7 from HK. The videos are AVI files, but apparently they are different than normal AVI files because Windows Media Player only decodes and plays the audio. The video is a black screen although the time stamp is visible. I know the video is working because the video and audio work just fine in the VLC player.

I would like to be able to import the AVI files directly into Movie Maker on a Windows 7 laptop, but haven't had any luck finding a codec that works. From what I've researched, the problem might be related to the 64 bit processing system in Windows 7........but that's just a guess at this point.

Does anybody know how to get a version 7 keychain camera to play the video files in Media Player and Movie Maker on a Windows 7 laptop?

#2 I've got exactly the same issue, Dave. I can't play the avi files from my #3 camera on my windows 7 netbook. I have to load them onto my desktop. I usually do anyway since that's where my video editing software is, but I wish I could preview the videos without rendering them first.

I did some searching but couldn't find the answers. Anyone?
.AVI is just a container for the video and audio strems. You need to have the video and audio codecs on you computer to decode them. The #7 needs the Xvid video codec to decode the the video. Download/install ffdshow codec pack... there is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit one. You need to know whether your player/editing program is 32 bit or 64 bit. If the program is in the "program files" folder, it is 64 bit. If it's in the "program files (x86) folder, it is 32 bit. If not sure, download and install both... they can co-exhist.

Are you guys using Windows LIVE Movie Maker with your W7 boxes? If not, download the Windows Live essentials suite from MS to get it. It comes with most codecs. But if not the right one, the ffdshow pack should provide the right one.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:26 AM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Thanks for the update KC! That's good news. I just bought a #3 key-chain, and have been on the fence about wiping the timestamp.

Jeff
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Hi Guys

While I'm waiting to receive my #11 Keychain camera, look at the amazing videos (flying a 4ch Dynam Hawk Sky) that I've done last week using the #3 model:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Shyckobsb

Although the #11 is the top one in image quality, I think that #3, costing 1/4 of the price, is also an excellent choice to film rc flights.

Shycko is offline Find More Posts by Shycko
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
331 Posts
Tom, re: post 7501 - their response:

So far, no luck with the Windows 7 laptop.

It has Windows Media Player in both "Program Files" and also "Program Files (x86)". I now have a FFDSHOW folder in the x86 folder, but haven't been able to find a download link for the 64 bit FFDSHOW.

Do you have a direct link to the 64 bit FFDSHOW codecs?

(Where is the ffdshow file saved to, and is it executed from that folder?)
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,287 Posts
I purchased a #3 keychain camera from eBay. At least I think it is a #3. The time stamp matches the #3 time stamp on http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/index.html and it seems to take fairly good video. It is no match against my Canon on video quality...but it is a LOT cheaper and lighter.

I also got a new computer that is running Windows 7. I used the windows movie maker that came with Windows XP pro and got so I liked it after getting aquainted with the way it works. Of course the new Windows Live Movie Maker has been changed a lot. I wish Microsoft would improve on some of their programs and not just change them around so they look NEW. A little rant....sorry!

Anyway I have a few questions for the more informed than I am.

Can I run the older Movie Maker that came with XP pro under Windows 7 64 operating system?

If I mount my keychain camera upside down, is there a way to flip the video so it is right side up?

Is there a way to crop a video file so that the image is smaller. Maybe crop out the time stamp? I am leary of trying to change the way the camera works with all of this talk about bricking the cameras.

This question may solve the other questions. Is there a freeware video editor that is better than what comes with Windows 7 that works under Windows 7 64 operating system.

Thanks for any help....I am looking forward to getting some interesting videos in the future. I gave my new keychain camera a try mounted to the wing on my Drenalyn but it made the airplane almost unflyable! but I want to give it a try on a more stable platform like my BluBaby.

Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Tom, re: post 7501 - their response:

So far, no luck with the Windows 7 laptop.

It has Windows Media Player in both "Program Files" and also "Program Files (x86)". I now have a FFDSHOW folder in the x86 folder, but haven't been able to find a download link for the 64 bit FFDSHOW.

Do you have a direct link to the 64 bit FFDSHOW codecs?

(Where is the ffdshow file saved to, and is it executed from that folder?)
If you could get one of the NATIVE #7 video files posted where I can download it, I'd like to play with it on my W7 (64) system. If uploaded to vimeo.com, I can download from there if they give other viewers access with a toggle during the upload. Or, post to sendspace.com, and I can download from there.

Here is a link to the 64 bit builds for ffdshow, but if you have the 32 bit build installed and run the 32 bit WMP, it show work the same. I didn't even know there was both a 32 bit and 64 bit version with W7, but mine has it, too, and I've normally just installed the 32 bit codecs and they worked with the WMP that is loaded from the default icon.

The ffdshow package has some configuration programs, but they are usually not needed since the defaults should allow the codecs to work with WMP. The configuration programs are actually dynamic link library files (.dll) and not .exe files. They are stored in the C:/Windows/System32 and SystemWOW folders with most other .dll files. You can find/run them by typing "vfw" in the search box under the "Start" button. I just checked mine and see a slight difference in options for the XVID codec the #7 uses, but both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions have that codec available. I'll update my 64 bit ffdshow.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,753 Posts
Comments below in red...

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
I purchased a #3 keychain camera from eBay. At least I think it is a #3. The time stamp matches the #3 time stamp on http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/index.html and it seems to take fairly good video. It is no match against my Canon on video quality...but it is a LOT cheaper and lighter.

I also got a new computer that is running Windows 7. I used the windows movie maker that came with Windows XP pro and got so I liked it after getting aquainted with the way it works. Of course the new Windows Live Movie Maker has been changed a lot. I wish Microsoft would improve on some of their programs and not just change them around so they look NEW. A little rant....sorry!

If you have access to a PC with Vista on it, you can copy the entire MovieMaker Folder from there to your programs folder in W7. That version is the BEST by far... very similar to the older XP version, with timeline, etc. Just be sure you copy the Vista version to the right programs folder on your PC. I.e. on a 32 bit Vista PC, copy the C:Windows/Programs/WindowsMovieMaker folder to your W7 PC C:Windows/Programs(x86) folder. Likewise, the Vista 64 bit version would go in the C:Windows/Programs folder.

Anyway I have a few questions for the more informed than I am.

Can I run the older Movie Maker that came with XP pro under Windows 7 64 operating system?

Yes. Not sure if you can just copy it's folder as described above, or if you have to download and install it. But the Vista version alternative will be much better and is recommended if you don't like the WLMM version. I use both, and the WLMM does have some more up to date codecs and features, like it can process the .MOV videos with H.264 video codecs natively, without adding any external codec packs, like ffdshow.

If I mount my keychain camera upside down, is there a way to flip the video so it is right side up?

Yes, this can be done with all versions of WMM, I think. It is a "rotate" effect in XP and Vista versions, but WLMM has icons in the "Home" tab to just click on to rotate.

Is there a way to crop a video file so that the image is smaller. Maybe crop out the time stamp? I am leary of trying to change the way the camera works with all of this talk about bricking the cameras.

Yes, but not using any of the WMM editors. If you search back through this thread, you'll many of us use VirtualDub for this. I even uploaded an archive with the presets to do this very thing. You just load the file into Vdub, load in the preset, and export the video. You can also use various "filters" to adjust colors, add sharpness, rotate/flip the video, trim out unwanted sections, and more. Vdub is a free program and quite powerful for what it does, but it does not have any fancy transitions or easy way to add text to the the video like the WMM programs.

This question may solve the other questions. Is there a freeware video editor that is better than what comes with Windows 7 that works under Windows 7 64 operating system.

Already answered in the responses above. Sorry, there is nothing else any better that is free.

Thanks for any help....I am looking forward to getting some interesting videos in the future. I gave my new keychain camera a try mounted to the wing on my Drenalyn but it made the airplane almost unflyable! but I want to give it a try on a more stable platform like my BluBaby.

FWIW, you may be interested in the HD version of this tiny camera... larger 1280x720 frame size, better image quality, and NO dropped frames. But it has it's own issues. You can read all about it in this thread.

Ray
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
A bit of flying on the Elektro Rookie from just after sunrise today. I had to get out really early before the winds picked up. I'm pretty pleased with the 2 #3s I have right now.

Tony

Just after sunrise, 3/13/11. (5 min 24 sec)
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:17 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,981 Posts
Wow, great video. It felt like I was watching a nature video on the Discovery channel.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Bro 415
USA, MO, Eldon
Joined Sep 2003
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If you could get one of the NATIVE #7 video files posted where I can download it, I'd like to play with it on my W7 (64) system. If uploaded to vimeo.com, I can download from there if they give other viewers access with a toggle during the upload. Or, post to sendspace.com, and I can download from there.

Here is a link to the 64 bit builds for ffdshow, but if you have the 32 bit build installed and run the 32 bit WMP, it show work the same. I didn't even know there was both a 32 bit and 64 bit version with W7, but mine has it, too, and I've normally just installed the 32 bit codecs and they worked with the WMP that is loaded from the default icon.

The ffdshow package has some configuration programs, but they are usually not needed since the defaults should allow the codecs to work with WMP. The configuration programs are actually dynamic link library files (.dll) and not .exe files. They are stored in the C:/Windows/System32 and SystemWOW folders with most other .dll files. You can find/run them by typing "vfw" in the search box under the "Start" button. I just checked mine and see a slight difference in options for the XVID codec the #7 uses, but both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions have that codec available. I'll update my 64 bit ffdshow.
I'm Zrobbie's buddy with the version 7 camera that can't display the video on a Windows 7 laptop.

Here is the direct file from the camera that you asked for:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ablz8c

The audio and video work fine with a VLC player, so I know the camera is working. But Windows Media Player only plays the audio, not the video, even after downloading and installing the 64 bit ffdshow program from the link you provided.

I did notice something strange during the 64 bit ffdshow install. The default folder was the "Program Files (x86)" instead of the "Program Files" folder. Shouldn't the 64 bit ffdshow codec program go into the "Program Files" folder?
Dave McDonald is offline Find More Posts by Dave McDonald
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
A bit of flying on the Elektro Rookie from just after sunrise today. I had to get out really early before the winds picked up. I'm pretty pleased with the 2 #3s I have right now.

Tony

http://www.vimeo.com/20992653
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Tony, congratulations on the excellent video. The audio was first rate also.
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Wow, Tony, that video was SUPER!

Bobby T
bltefft is offline Find More Posts by bltefft
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald View Post
I'm Zrobbie's buddy with the version 7 camera that can't display the video on a Windows 7 laptop.

Here is the direct file from the camera that you asked for:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ablz8c

The audio and video work fine with a VLC player, so I know the camera is working. But Windows Media Player only plays the audio, not the video, even after downloading and installing the 64 bit ffdshow program from the link you provided.

I did notice something strange during the 64 bit ffdshow install. The default folder was the "Program Files (x86)" instead of the "Program Files" folder. Shouldn't the 64 bit ffdshow codec program go into the "Program Files" folder?
Hi Dave. Thanks for uploading the sample video. I've look at it from every angle, and have the same issues that you do. And I don't think it's a codec problem, I have the codecs, but something in the file structure doesn't get along with WMP, WLMM, or WMC (the core Windows video programs).

I can also load, play, and edit the video in some other third party free programs, but not all (just get the audio). Virtual Dub editor and AviDemux will load and edit it OK. For a test, I loaded the video into a conversion program called Freemake, and re-encoded it with the same XVID video codec in the same .AVI package, and THAT file will load and play fine in all the stock windows programs! Ditto for the two editors I just mentioned.

Maybe it's just an issue with W7 (64 bit)... haven't seen others post this problem with the #7 version.

Oh, that 64 bit version of ffdshow does put a folder in the Program Files folder as well as the (x86) folder. Not sure why in both places, unless the configuration utilities run in 32 bit, with the codecs stored in the 64 bit folder.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added ffshow folder info
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Thanks guys.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley