Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
Don't put yourself down at your young age. At least the lot on here that might be as you say 'Old farts' are not BOFARTS. (Boring old farts). I still love all this new technology even if I sometimes cannot get my head around it. So If I can't, I dont get involved.
Oh yes. I can give you a few years. 72 next month and alive.
When I wake up each morning, I check the obituary column in the paper. If I am not listed I get up.
Hehehe... I hear ya!

I guess I'm just about at that age when I realize all the crap I gave my elders when I was younger, about "oh, whaddya mean you can't make that work, it's SO simple, here lemme show ya" is coming back on ME now... because there's SO much 'new stuff' I can't keep up.

Anyway, you're right... any morning you wake up is a good one!

Later! OL JR
lukestrawalker is offline Find More Posts by lukestrawalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Dec 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501 View Post
thanks for that. I was thinking of possibly getting one to tow behind a ship along the bottom of the lake to see whats down there.

hmmm next idea
Probably need a light source and a definitely need a waterproof housing. I've seen some helmet cam type setups with waterproof (underwater) housings at Bass Pro Shops so I KNOW that somebody manufactures them. Google it and I bet you can get a waterproof housing that the fob cam would fit in, probably on the cheap on Ebay.

I've thought about that as well-- it would make a TERRIFIC inspection cam for small spaces-- like my MIL's underground air distribution system in her house that is taking on water when the snow melts and filling up her furnace pit (which I had to install and plumb an automatic pump into last summer). Or inspecting the casing of my water well to install a new screen to keep the sand out... LOTS of uses for this thing in a waterproof housing with a light source... OL JR
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Hey guys! I've been using my keychain cam for a couple months now with no problems. I'm also using Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos. I'd like to put the camera on the bottom of my planes occasionally. I'd have to tape it on upside down to do that though. Is there a way in Windows Movie Maker to rotate the video 180 degrees? Or, what methods have you guys used to mount your cameras on the bottom of a plane and still have access to the buttons? I thought about just turning it on, taping it on, and starting the plane up. I'd have a couple minutes of useless video on the front.

Anyways, here's a video I shot yesterday with my new Lanier Shrike. They haven't made these kits in years, but I discovered one at my LHS hiding on a bottom shelf behind some other stuff. Awesome plane! It has an OS .46FX on the nose. It really hauls.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ke20091227.flv

Who'd you buy your cam from?? Link please?? OL JR

PS... nice vid One question though-- when are one of you guys gonna fly one of these over a nudist colony where the airline stewardesses hang out?? (grins) OL JR
Last edited by lukestrawalker; Dec 30, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukestrawalker View Post
Do ANY of the gum cams record in 30FPS?? From what I've read, even the ones advertised as 30 fps actually only record at 15 fps... presumably 'duplicating' the frame to get 'psuedo' 30 fps...

Just curious... I was reading about them looking for other sources than Ebay (like chinavasion.com) and everything they had in the gum cams was 15fps... truth in advertising perhaps?? LOL

Later! OL JR
One of my Gum cameras start from 7fps and goes up to 19fps before dropping down to around 14fps.
qsgsg is offline Find More Posts by qsgsg
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:42 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
I mounted and flew my No:3 key fob on first my Wing Dragon, and then on an Easystar. The vids were good, and I was supprised at the quality. The only problem was that I had vibration and the 'wavy' horozontal lines whilst the motor was running. So now I must find a way to mount to eliminate the vibration.
For the money that it cost, well worth it.
I am now waiting for Spy cam specticles that I ordered.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:11 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,013 Posts
Can you guys post some pictures of how you are mounting the keychain camera?

I've seen a few that look pretty good, like on a heli mounting to the top of the canopy so it is facing forward and down slightly, with Velcro. I'm thinking of tail boom mounting using some servo mounts.

How about mounting on a micro plane, like the p-51?

Thanks!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
I am simply using vlecro! The camera is not even moving a little bit. Put one piece of velcro onthe camera and the other piece of velcro on the plane.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,013 Posts
Do you think if I put a layer of painters tape on first, that it would hold to the plane/heli well enough that I could put the velcro on top of that?
I'd just as soon not have to try and pull the velcro glue off the model if I could avoid it.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:39 AM
kwhabq
NEW MEXICO
Joined Nov 2004
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Can you guys post some pictures of how you are mounting the keychain camera?

I've seen a few that look pretty good, like on a heli mounting to the top of the canopy so it is facing forward and down slightly, with Velcro. I'm thinking of tail boom mounting using some servo mounts.

Thanks!
Woody, in this video, I taped the camera to the top of the nose turret to avoid prop blur.

ALbuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park DEC 19, 2009 (5 min 53 sec)

On planes with a single puller prop (most planes) - I tape them either on a wing pointed about 30 - 40 degrees to the side so that it will not pick up the prop - this video is an example:

E-Flite P-47 at ADO (3 min 35 sec)

As for the micro P-51, I don't imagine it will carry the camera. The P-51 is barely heavier than the camera - can you spell c-r-a-s-h ??

Hope this helps -

Ken
kwhabq is online now Find More Posts by kwhabq
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
kwhabq
NEW MEXICO
Joined Nov 2004
628 Posts
Charge time

I ran a test on a Version #3 to estimate battery discharge/charge times, and here are the numbers:

Yesterday, I shot 6 videos of about 10 minutes each to get as close to an hour of record time as possible. I let the camera cool for about 10 minutes between videos.
Then after leaving it overnight, I put it on USB charge, and within 20 minutes, the light stopped blinking - indicating full charge.
I don't know if I just happened to get a good battery, but that is pretty amazing to get that much performance. I'll probably never record more than an hour in a days flying. Not to mention I have 2 cameras - LOL!!

Wish all you spy cam folks a HAPPY NEW YEAR, and lots of fun video shooting.

Ken
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:23 PM
Now Where Did That Plane Go?
Columbus, GA. Area
Joined Sep 2007
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbs View Post
Thanks for your help with the font stuff! If I can get my camera figured out, your modified font file will definitely come in handy.
Let's say someone can get into the system files. What about just deleting the font files instead of modifying them? Any thoughts?
Crash One is offline Find More Posts by Crash One
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post

Thanks!
It's been done, but the case was removed so the camera weight was only about 10 gms.:

Parkzone Micro P-51 Flight cam (10 min 16 sec)
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:29 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhabq View Post
I ran a test on a Version #3 to estimate battery discharge/charge times, and here are the numbers:

Yesterday, I shot 6 videos of about 10 minutes each to get as close to an hour of record time as possible. I let the camera cool for about 10 minutes between videos.
Then after leaving it overnight, I put it on USB charge, and within 20 minutes, the light stopped blinking - indicating full charge.
I don't know if I just happened to get a good battery, but that is pretty amazing to get that much performance. I'll probably never record more than an hour in a days flying. Not to mention I have 2 cameras - LOL!!

Wish all you spy cam folks a HAPPY NEW YEAR, and lots of fun video shooting.

Ken
What size card are you useing?
And a happy new year to you, and also the rest of this thread followers.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
kwhabq
NEW MEXICO
Joined Nov 2004
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
What size card are you useing?
And a happy new year to you, and also the rest of this thread followers.
I was using a 2GB, which should easily hold at least 25-30 minutes, but for this test, I would delete the files to prevent filling the chip. I also have a 4GB chip in the other camera.

My best estimate is to allow about 60MB per minute. You can get the exact file sizes in Windows Explorer when you plug the camera in. Don't try to get too close to chip capacity, or you could lose the last file.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:22 PM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Happy New Year to all!

So I decided to try yet another mounting scheme... I never liked the fact that the enclosure for the #3 camera is round - makes flat mounting a pain. I took off the bottom, shimmed in some wooden sticks on the USB side, plopped down 2 layers of foam, then added one final layer of wood "decking" on top of my non-flat Hirobo control unit.

It was snowing out so I seized the moment. A little wind made for a rocky ride, I DeShook it best I could. A lot of the rolling shutter wobble is gone, a little remains. I don't think I can do much better on this little heli.

-John

2nd Snow Flight - Falling Snow (Quark SRB) (2 min 22 sec)
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot