OK. I will let you know how it works.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
I just received my Evo12 back from a upgrade to Evo Pro 2.62 firmware. I am going to upgrade it to 3.x and make the mod to the XPS module, and try to get telemetry to the display via the beta MLINK support.
Am I correct that if I decide to go back to Mpx 2.62, I will need to restore the pin 2<->5 jumper?
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
No, you won't. I made this firmware so that it drives pin 5 high if the PPM signal is being used. This way you don't need to change it back to a jumpered setup.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Received my module and 2 rx's today. Both rx's bound fine. Now to do some range checking. Do I really need to remove the antenna from the top connector for range checks?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:55 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
Do I really need to remove the antenna from the top connector for range checks?
Not if you have the TX module with the latest 3.x firmware. JD has updated the range testing sticky post near the top of the forum to clarify this.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:12 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Not if you have the TX module with the latest 3.x firmware. JD has updated the range testing sticky post near the top of the forum to clarify this.
OK. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
OK. I have mounted my first rx in a GP electric Super Sportster. It range checked fine. I have full control, and there is no jerky servo movement like there was with the Hitec 2.4Ghz module.

It is also nice to be able to put it in binding mode and range check mode without having to open the back of my radio. Even though the back of the Evo is extremely easy to remove, the more times you do it, the more the tabs break.

So far I am liking this system. The Nano rx's are so tiny, I can hide them with my thumb. It surprised me that they are so thin also. They are mostly pins for servo connection. You could cut the size and weight of these even farther by soldering the servo wires directly to the rx printed circuit board after removing the pins. Ideal for tiny foamies.

I will be maidening this system tomorrow.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:38 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
No need to remove the pins.
XPS will supply them without pins on request.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Marion View Post
No need to remove the pins.
XPS will supply them without pins on request.
Cool!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:09 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Yep, the new support for the v3.30/v3.41 EVO firmware is great! Its nice to be able to use the front buttons for binding and range check. With the Nano's you don't get telemetry data, so you can't see that part yet. With our other receivers you can get the receiver battery voltage and signal strength. Now that I am finishing up the Black Box support, I will make a change to the EVO module firmware to give you more sensor options as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
I flashed my Evo from 2.62 to 3.41 and the XPS module to the beta version. Tickled to see LQI and rx pack voltage on the Evo's display. Thank you!!
This was with an 8 ch rx. Wish my handful of Nano's sent back RSSI.
So at this point with the beta firmware, other sensors won't display on the Evo...just the Telemetry Station?

Some other questions:
Is there a table correlating the LQI % to RSSI so we know at what LQI value is getting into fringe range?

How accurate is the voltage display and how often is it sampled and updated? For instance, the Evo displayed 5.0 while my uncalibrated Tenma multimeter said 5.16. When I wiggled the sticks to move the servos, the Evo displayed 4.9V while the meter
said 5.09-5.10.

Edit: The rate is determined by the rate setting when enabling telemetry on the rx. I only just found out that the number equates to how often telemetry data is sent - every nth frame. Recommended value is 10 for every 10th frame - roughly every 220ms.

Are there supposed to be one or two washers at the antenna end of the module's coax pigtail? The whole assembly is not snug in the Evo's antenna tube and wiggles/rotates around a bit on it's own. If I tighten the nut anymore, the O-ring squeezes past the top nut? There's only one washer and it's on the bottom (cable) end.
Last edited by GoFaster; Jul 24, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:39 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
I am totally happy with this upgrade to my Evo. I will definitely be buying more rx's. The maiden went without a hitch. Absolutely no glitches. Smooth quick control. Awesome. I will now start selling my Optima rx's and as I get the money out of them, I will get XPS rx's.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
LQI is calculated based on the signal strength of -36dB (max) to -107dB (min). That is scaled into 100% to 0%.

The voltage is checked every single frame, and is done in the receiver. The telemetry rate does not matter. So, the battery is checked about 44 times per second and that value is sent. It is very accurate, and can easily show you when your power system is getting bogged down (like what you have described).

No, there are no telemetry sensors supported yet. The EVO has about a dozen sensor types, and I am not sure how to correlate our sensors types to one of theirs yet. We have 256 different types.

You should have one washer and one nut. This always took some playing around. I like the new EVO top mount setup better (shown in the pictures).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Can I order and retrofit the new top mount setup to my existing radio? it looks like there is glue or something securing the cable onto the u.fl connector at the Xbee daughterboard, which may preclude removing and snapping on a new pigtail.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:29 AM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
One would think a bit of acetone on a q-tip would remove the glue.