Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Logan
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
I'm one of the very early adopters of the XPS system and am impressed with how much has been achieved considering the context of the progress. Have a couple of EVO 9 PROs and am using the latest XPS packages. I'm convinced more than ever that this system has been designed intelligently and expect those in other camps will open their eyes to it's brilliance.
stilp is offline Find More Posts by stilp
Last edited by stilp; Nov 04, 2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Problem resolved
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:52 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
Thanks!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:07 PM
Born to Live - Live to Fly !
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Guess I should have read this thread more closely!

A couple weeks ago I added a gyro to my eRC F-18 which took me from a 8 channel setup to a 9 chanel setup. I have 3 Royal Evo's, with different modules for 2.4ghz and 470mhz UHF.

The F-18 had been flying great on the XPS. I had a spare 9 channel Rx from another brand. I switched the module in my Tx and was ready to fly brand "X".

Second time out I was rolling out of a split-S heading directly for the ground, pretty high up. Pulling back on the stick - Uh-Oh nothing

Then about 1 second later all that panic back-stick and the Rx kicked in.

As fast as I was going I snapped off my right wing - oh well happens.

Back to thread. This was the first lockout I had had in years. To be fair to the radio, most of my planes are twins meaning multiple BEC's I only had one on this plane. I also had a 2.4ghz telemetry Tx on the plane monitoring pack voltage (more RF challenges) My bad, lesson learned. Not to mention after a LOT of testing the Tx Antenna was a little weak not sure why, just replaced it.

On another thread a guy chimed in "why would you switch from XPS. If you needed more channels just add a Nano as a slave and get an extra six". You can do that? Old school thought process, if an Rx is an 8 channel it's an 8 channel. Never really thought about this Master/Slave concept. Maybe it's because no one else does it?

After researching all these threads I decided to seriously re-visit XPS. Luck has it AMA show was last weekend picked up an XDP from Jim Drew. That little contraption is worth it's weight in gold. I have no patience for counting flashes and reading instructions it removes all of that. Channel mapping and firmware changes for both Tx and Rx are incredibly simple.

Long story short. I'm up to 3.41 on the EVO, I can immediately read LQI (RSSI) and Rx battery voltage right on the Evo Display. I no longer have an EVO 12 channel radio It is now a 16 channel radio. All of this for FREE less the cost of the XDP. You can easily mix and match Rx's throughout the plane and avoid long servo wire runs. Just run power and map whatever channels you need to that location.

You can even mount a Nano in a removable wing as a master or slave. That way you can drive you flaps, ailerons, spoilers and gear and only have to plug in TWO wires for power. You could even put another Rx battery pack in the wing and connect NO wires.

Although it looks like the Nano is a "Park Flyer" Rx it is NOT the case. In the range testing I did it performs great as a full range receiver. The ONLY drawback I can see with this Rx is that it does not do telemetry. But you can still use it as a slave to the 8ch or 10ch and get telemetry from that Rx.

In addition to all that XPS will soon come out with a module that will let you take the I2C output form the EagleTree elogger (the one for the LCD Display) and port that through the built in M-link telemetry and have it show up right on the Royal Evo Display!

This update really breathes new life into an already great radio. As an added bonus I do not need to upgrade the firmware in my brain to get into a state of the art radio system.
stevekott is offline Find More Posts by stevekott
Last edited by stevekott; Jan 09, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
362 Posts
Hi SteveKott,

I sent you an email yesterday. Did you get it?
Thanks,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evil Plane Doer
Westport, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,687 Posts
Recommendations for upgrading my Evo 12 channel on 1X firmware to XPS?

Fly electric planes and heli's mostly small but gearing up for 60 size electrics this summer.

I am a gadget guy.

Jeff
jskrebs is offline Find More Posts by jskrebs
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
I would recommend sending your EVO to Hitec to get the v2.62 firmware upgrade. From there you can use Multiplex's cable to upgrade the firmware to v3.41. Using our EVO module with this gives you full telemetry right in your EVO's display. It also converts your 12 channel EVO to 16 channels.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2004
49 Posts
Jim, I have an Evo 12 with v2.62 firmware and am thinking of switching to XPS. How does your module add 4 more channels or is it the XDP and slave receivers?
rkirchner is offline Find More Posts by rkirchner
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Mar 2009
44 Posts
I have a EVO 9 on 1.40 and have ordered the parts to make a data cable to upgrade the
firmware to v2.62 but reading the reply to jskrebs post do i need to send in my EVO for
the update ?....
Ashley123 is offline Find More Posts by Ashley123
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
To go from v1.x to v2.62 requires a hardware based reflashing that only Hitec can do here in the U.S. So, you have send your EVO to them. Once they have upgraded it to v2.62 you can then use the Multiplex data cable to backup your models and update the firmware to v3.41 (the latest as of today). This upgrade converts the EVO12 to 16 channels. I am not sure what happens with the EVO9 as far as channel upgrades.

Our latest EVO module supports v1.x through v3.41 and gives you full M-Link support. M-Link is Multiplex's 2.4GHz technology. We emulate their module, which gives you a direct connect (reduces latency) and also gives you the telemetry information in the EVO's display. ALL 16 channels can be accessed by using multiple receivers bound together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Jim does that mean we could buy one of these M-link voltage sensors and plug it into the XPS 10ch Rx and show Motor Pack voltages on the Evo Display ?

http://www.modelspot.com/voltage-sensor-750-p.asp

Would we set the Alarm points using your XDP/(or Telemetry Station) or would we need to buy something additional from Multiplex?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
No, you can not use any of their sensors. We emulate the module side with our sensor information obtained from our receivers. Alarms are set on the receiver/sensor side. The EVO just displays what is sent to it, and there is an alarm bit for each sensor that we can turn on/off as part of the sensor data being sent.

We upgraded your modules. I had the non-flashable module replaced with a version that is flashable. To support some of new sensor stuff it might require a new Tx firmware upgrade, and since you are actively using the EVO I wanted to make this easy for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Thanks for the response and the flash-able chip!

Tomorrow I should have all my parts to build the XPS DIY dual sensor project.

I've never done any PIC programming before but I think I can reverse engineer the sensor port to show voltage instead of RPM or Temperature.. Then maybe figure how to alarm at 3.5v (or multiple of that) if I use the Motor Battery Balance plug. I could maybe use a voltage divider circuit to bring the volts down if needed.

I thought about powering the servos off of one battery and then power the Rx off of the balance plug. But then by purpose I would have to bring the voltage down to 4.5 volts to get it to alarm.

It would be nice if I could get the Rx to send an alarm at 7.0 volts, I could power the Rx with 2 cells off the balance plug. But I think the alarm point is in the Rx Firmware and not changeable with the XDP.

Thanks Again,

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
No need to reverse engineer anything... all of the info is included in our developer info for making any type of sensor. Let me know if you need help. It's really easy to make changes to the code to create any type of sensor. One of our customers made a quad sensor with current and voltage besides RPM and temperature.

I just looked at the code again. Our EVO module firmware looks at the incoming voltage and sets the alarm bit if the voltage is below 4.5v. So, that is set on the EVO Tx module side, not the receiver like I thought. It is possible that I could add a new EEPROM variable that would store the low voltage warning threshold, making the default 4.5v like it is now - but it could be changed with the XDP. I will look into this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
No need to reverse engineer anything... .....could add a new EEPROM variable that would store the low voltage warning threshold, making the default 4.5v like it is now - but it could be changed with the XDP. I will look into this.
That would be a cool variable. Then guys powering with A123s could set their alarm voltage appropriately. In addition the "motor pack" alarm would also work if you were powering off the balance plug (2cells). You would just need to make sure you have really good balance plug wires on the Battery, they have been know to fail. Perhaps have a 'backup' source isolated with a diode at a lower voltage.

I got my TX modules and telemetry station from you.

The updated modules are AWESOME . The new antenna mount for the Evo is sweet It will make such a clean install.

I also got my components in for the sensor board, gotta break out the magnifying glasses I'm sure I'll have a question or two, I'll try not to be a pest I've done a lot of Basic programming and a few ladder logic PLC's. I'm not familiar yet with this language. It looks pretty powerful.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,748 Posts
Just let me know if you have any questions. There are many others who have made sensors (some were selling them in fact), so there is plenty of real world info.
RCG Plus Member