HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
Discussion
EVO Pro update

FYI - The latest MPX update to version 3.3 on EVO Pros apparently manages to lock out modules such as XPS. In prior versions (up to 2.62) it was possible to get the EVOs to work by shorting pin 2&5. With the new update this seems to no longer work. Is this true? Are there any options to upgrade this in the future or have MPX managed to lock XPS out of their market?
Franz2002_01 is offline Find More Posts by Franz2002_01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
We have not heard about this, however, if the v3.3 EVO upgrade works with their standard RF module, then we can make it work with our module. Who does the upgrade?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
this is being discussed in a thread about the EVO (in the lat couple of pages).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post13166812

It causes quite some anger with EVO users. Apparently Multiplex is trying to shut out the module suppliers with software to push their new M-link. It took Multiplex several years to implement minor upgrades in software on their old EVO but apparently when it comes to protecting their market they can come up with updates in a rush and did not even announce what they were up to...
Franz2002_01 is offline Find More Posts by Franz2002_01
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:52 AM
Joined Nov 2004
177 Posts
This is also stopping some flight simulators from working the pro upgrade. If so it may also effect the training mode in the pro so the two transmitters won't talk to each other.
If Evo did this on purpose, its a bad move on their part but who knows, they may have screwed up by releasing a bad upgrade. Well see what drew says once he gets a handle on what's happening. I'm looking for a new radio that will work with XPS as I like their receivers and the new ones they're coming out with. I'm still hoping there is a new XPS radio sometime in the future Rather than another Graupner.
cgblues is offline Find More Posts by cgblues
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:33 AM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
Check this link
http://www.stoeckli.net/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=3
SCOTT001 is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT001
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:09 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
I will look into the direct serial option. That seems easy enough to incorporate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:20 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2005
35 Posts
...but we are still working on decoding the serial string produced by version 3.30 software. Check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114060

Markus
net-climber is offline Find More Posts by net-climber
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:29 AM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
Is there any progress on the compatibility issue of XPS and royal pro with latest software?
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:34 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
Just got back the EVO from Hitec yesterday. I am going to see if we can make a single wire solution. If not, then people will have to add a second connector to our board (the spot already exists for it).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:56 AM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
I can see that people manage to make an interface to communicate with MPX 3.3 software and also send telemetry data back to MPX. I also read that JETI is working on it. Do we expect XPS to evolve their TX module to speak MPX anytime soon?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...114060&page=10
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:02 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,287 Posts
Sure am glad that I don't have to upgrade to the Evo Pro. Haven't found a reason to upgrade my five year old Evo yet.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
We already have it working ourselves. I am finishing the telemetry code for the transmitter modules. Most people don't realize that we have had the ability to get telemetry data back to ALL of our transmitter modules. When we announced this capability several years ago, everyone wanted PC support. Nobody cared about transmitter telemetry until other companies started doing it, and then everyone wanted it... go figure.

So, I have created a fake MLINK module in software. The new firmware upgrade will require that you attach two wires from our telemetry port on the transmitter module to the EVO's module port.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:43 PM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
This is really good news for us mpx users. I am looking forward to try this new software.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:54 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
When we announced this capability several years ago, everyone wanted PC support. Nobody cared about transmitter telemetry until other companies started doing it, and then everyone wanted it... go figure.
So everybody wanted to bring their laptop to the field and have a buddy keeping an eye on the screen and report any important data to them while flying, and nobody wanted the cute little device that could be attached to the Tx with LCD panel, bright warning LED's, SD card for data recording and headphone socket?
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,496 Posts
That's correct. The reason being is that you can't really take your eyes off your aircraft to look at the small display.
RCG Plus Member