HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Discussion
How do I remove baked on castor oil

Is there a household chemical (solvent) ,and automotice chemical, or a chemical sold by RC vendors, that can be used to remove the brownish castor oil residue that can bake onto the outside of engines and especially mufflers? Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:38 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Is there a household chemical (solvent) ,and automotice chemical, or a chemical sold by RC vendors, that can be used to remove the brownish castor oil residue that can bake onto the outside of engines and especially mufflers? Thanks.
Antifreeze in a crock pot on low.
Buy a cheapo crock pot since antifreeze is poisonous.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
Automotive carb cleaner works well (Gummout or equiv.)
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cheshire UK
Joined May 2002
9 Posts
I've used to very good effect - Boil engine with Bio washing powder/liquid and leave overnight to soak
Joe
stubtoe is offline Find More Posts by stubtoe
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:15 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Is there no "brush on" solvent. I have tried carb cleaner and it sort of works but very slowly and tediously. I did not want to remove the engines, but rather clean them once in a while.

Baked castor oil might make a good protective metal coating, huh. I wish I could get paint to stick like that.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:53 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Sunbeam use to sell a product that worked great. I don't know what it actually was. Does anyone know what this household cleaning product was. Was it safe?

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:10 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Sunbeam use to sell a product that worked great. I don't know what it actually was. Does anyone know what this household cleaning product was. Was it safe?
I'd love to know what it was. Eazy Off oven cleaner might work if the engine was hot. Maybe tonite I try brushing some on and heating up the engine with my heat gun.

I sort of remember buying some chemical from a Hobby Shop in my first short lived foray into this hobby many years ago, but maybe it has been banned.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
No eazy off will mar etch the aluminum.
What is wrong with burned on oil?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad
At some point it will interfere with cooling.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:00 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Nothing of consequence. I am not particularly a neat freak, and don't do a great job wiping down my planes after flying, but every once and a while I do a cleanup and if I could get that brown stuff off the motor easily I would.

It does seem to be a good indicator of how hot the motor gets. It doesn't turn brown unless it reaches a certain temperature. It mostly shows up on parts of the muffler and on certain sides of the cylinder head. I rarely see it elsewhere which suggests the rest of the motor does not get hot enough to bake it on.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
There was this stuff called "Demon Clean" that you brushed on and rinsed off...don't know if it's still available though?

The Gummout "jet spray" (or cheaper equivalent ) will remove varnish (after all, that's what it's designed for) quite effectively, especially if you help it a little by scrubbing w/ an old tooth brush.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
I think you are right "Demon Clean". It worked a lot better than "Gummout" Gummout works great on petroleum deposits that gum onto the carb. They really aren't like oxidized and vulcanized castor
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
Gummout evaporates very quickly...and you'll use quite a bit of it (maybe half a can) cleaning a really grungy engine...but with a tooth brush you can get most of the baked of stuff out from between the fins.
The main drawback is that it's a fairly nasty chemical, and you really should wear gloves and eye protection, and of course, use it outdoors...but I've had great luck with it. Works well at loosening up gummy/sticky bearings too.

The Demon Clean is/was a thicker consistency, and clings to the engine/doesn't evaporate as quickly. The thing is though, you still need to rinse it off...but with what? I used Gummout (I noticed that it worked purty good all by itself)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:21 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I found the Demon Clean and ordered a can. It is expensive, but it will be interesting to give it a try. I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/Demo..._11-11-05.html
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
I see that the formula has been changed...please give us a report after you get 'er cleaned up.