HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:40 PM
Victorville, CA
Joined Jul 2002
80 Posts
Source for Kontronik speed control in US or suggestion for replacement?

I seem to have fried my Kontronik Beat 50-8-30 speed control in my Logo 20 today. Where can I get a new one, or any suggestions for a replacement? My motor is a Kontronik Tango 45-08. These were both purchased used and I don't know where the original buyer purchased these.

I'm also unsure as to why the controller burned. The Logo is used but is new for me, and I had about 6 or 8 hovers over the last week with 24 cell packs. After each flight, I felt the speed control and motor, and they were always warm but never hot. About 4 minutes into my last hover, the motor shut off with no warning. Fortunately, I was only a few feet high so there was no damage. I felt the speed control and it was too hot to touch! Now it doesn't work.

Thanks for any advice!
Stan
soareyes is offline Find More Posts by soareyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2003, 09:40 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
Contact Fitz at FXaeromodels.com, He has a controller listed for your motor, but it's not the same model you asked about. I'm sure he can help you out. The best time to contact or e-mail him is of an evening.

Good luck
Bourbon is offline Find More Posts by Bourbon
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:13 PM
Derbyshire UK
Joined Sep 2001
56 Posts
Contact Kontronik directly at the email address on their website. I f you send the controller back to them they will either repir it or sell you a new one at a discount. Mike looks after their customer service and is very helpful. My controller came back from Germany in less than a week.
amplifai is offline Find More Posts by amplifai
Old Apr 21, 2003, 06:21 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Icare has good prices and fast service. Call or e-mail first to make sure it is in stock.

http://www.icare-rc.com/
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 21, 2003, 07:31 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,541 Posts
Stan,

Have you checked your motor to see if it still works? The older Tangos had problems with throwing magnets, which may fry the ESC when it happens. Check with motormike and he'll help you.

Stephen
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Apr 21, 2003, 09:19 PM
Victorville, CA
Joined Jul 2002
80 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll contact Mike at Kontroniks and probably send the controller in for repair. Icare does have the same in stock if I decide to get a new controller (Fxaeromodels is out of stock). Icare also has Schultze controllers in stock, and a comparable one to the Beat is about $60 less. Any thoughts on using the Schultze with the Tango motor?

Also, how should I check my Tango to see if it did throw a magnet, as per Stephen's reply? It spins by hand with the same feel it did before, but should I take it apart to check? Thanks again!
Stan
soareyes is offline Find More Posts by soareyes
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:02 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
The new Schulzes work fine with Tango motors.

I will add that Kontronik has great sevice too! My ungraded 45-6 came back in less than 2 weeks with all new parts, and the price was right!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk