SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:28 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,224 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Hobby People Phase 3 Squall

I have been working on my Phase 3 Squall. I decided to try a totally different route. I am not really interested in thrust vectoring so thought I would modify the airframe a little bit. I am going with the the 60mm Wicked 5 blade fan and the Wicked 4800 KV motor on 4S lipo. This setup makes a Phase 3 F16 go 115+ mph so though why not for the Squall.

So I have modified the inlet and outlets to run the smaller fan. See the photos attached. The inlet I cut off a large chunk of the foam to make the inlet lower. Then cut a notch in the belly pan so the foam can be bent so the belly pan is flat again. Then I cut notches on the tail cone so the exit diameter is 1.8" which is what is needed on this fan.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
I did that same thing on tailpipe on BD-5...I got that idea from same guy named "Don"
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
I did the same thing, cut the bottom and made the diameter smaller but my conversion is for a pushers

here is the video
Phase 3 SQUALL RC fast jet modified to pusher hobby people EDF (3 min 49 sec)
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:36 PM
USA, AZ, Mohave Valley
Joined Jun 2007
35 Posts
Don,
I want to use the stock Squall fan and rotor and put in a Wicked 5400 or 4800, but the stock prop/rotor adapter is too small to fit on the 5400/4800 shaft. Do you sell an adapter that will work? Also would these motors/ fan combo work with 4 cells?
I am flying the Squall on the stock 4 cell setup and would like more power. I don't want to use a different fan if I don't have to. All comments welcome.
Thanks
magoo771 is online now Find More Posts by magoo771
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:54 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,224 Posts
Honestly not sure, I did order a stock fan unit from eflypower so once I have it I can post some test data.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:02 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
Hey Don, any updates on this? How did you like the Squall?
wekenav8r is offline Find More Posts by wekenav8r
Old Nov 04, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,224 Posts
I am waiting for my new shipment of motors to come in. I am doing two versions, one with the new Wicked Plus 4400 and the 5 blade Wicked 60mm fan for the modified airframe, then one with the stock fan and the Wicked Plus 4000 motor. Here is the testing I got:

Wicked Plus 4000 and 3 blade rotor, after 15-20 seconds I got
51,000 rpm, 693 watts, 46.6 amps

I then put on the 5 blade rotor and got this:
46,069 rpm, 786 watts, 54.7 amps

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:49 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
458 Posts
Apparently Global (importer for the Phase 3) is having a flock of bad ESC's in recent months. One of their Hobby People stores in Orange County CA had to steal all the ESC's out of shelf models to replace ones burning up in recently bought models. I went to buy one and the four "new" planes in boxes on the shelves at one store were all without ESC's. This may be a recent problem with a current production run, So BEWARE!!!

Also there is no warning in the planes literature, that you had better cut the motor well before landing as that big gaping mouth air-intake under the fuse will scoop in everything from grass blades to twigs, rocks, bottle caps, and rocks which will destroy the EDF Blades even if just spinning in the wind with the motor off. I think this is a terrible design flaw. WHAT were they thinking with a "belly lander"!!?? I've seen two with shredded fan blades, and I heard from the plane's owners that Global doesn't have replacements.

This seems to be typical of Global Phase 3 models - design short comings. I had a EF-16 which had a terrible cooling problem with the stock ESC (as all did) and like most early owners found, a VERY SOON fried ESC. Also the EF-16 has a poorly designed Horiz Stab structure that breaks far too easily in anything but a perfect landing. I ended up putting landing gear on it and adding a rudder so I could steer it on the ground and it even flew better thanks to the rudder, especially landings.

Perhaps the name "Squall" is an appropriate choice for Global, as Dictionary.com writes that a Squall: "is a short lived weather condition ...."
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:47 AM
Eggs @ Tea
Dover DE USA
Joined Feb 2007
506 Posts
got the kit don really cool plane!!! I'm going experiment with the 3-blade and wicked plus in a powerfan housing.... should lighten it up some. just hope I can get away without shaving the blades down
SmoothCruizer2 is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer2
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
Missoula, Montana
Joined Feb 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post
Apparently Global (importer for the Phase 3) is having a flock of bad ESC's in recent months. One of their Hobby People stores in Orange County CA had to steal all the ESC's out of shelf models to replace ones burning up in recently bought models. I went to buy one and the four "new" planes in boxes on the shelves at one store were all without ESC's. This may be a recent problem with a current production run, So BEWARE!!!

Also there is no warning in the planes literature, that you had better cut the motor well before landing as that big gaping mouth air-intake under the fuse will scoop in everything from grass blades to twigs, rocks, bottle caps, and rocks which will destroy the EDF Blades even if just spinning in the wind with the motor off. I think this is a terrible design flaw. WHAT were they thinking with a "belly lander"!!?? I've seen two with shredded fan blades, and I heard from the plane's owners that Global doesn't have replacements.

This seems to be typical of Global Phase 3 models - design short comings. I had a EF-16 which had a terrible cooling problem with the stock ESC (as all did) and like most early owners found, a VERY SOON fried ESC. Also the EF-16 has a poorly designed Horiz Stab structure that breaks far too easily in anything but a perfect landing. I ended up putting landing gear on it and adding a rudder so I could steer it on the ground and it even flew better thanks to the rudder, especially landings.

Perhaps the name "Squall" is an appropriate choice for Global, as Dictionary.com writes that a Squall: "is a short lived weather condition ...."

You are the only person I have ever heard say something bad about either of these planes. I will admit however that I'm not reading threads all the time.
mini14gb is offline Find More Posts by mini14gb
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:02 PM
Thumbs through CFIT
Altus AFB, OK
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Wicked Plus 4400, 60A ESC, 30C 2200 4S

Here is Don's set up in the Squall. It is very fast. I glassed it and painted it so I'm sure I lost some speed. Flying weight is 27 oz or 1.7 pounds. If I am getting only 600 watts that is still 353 watts per pound. Video to follow.
DandarBoom2147 is offline Find More Posts by DandarBoom2147